Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if the Big difference between 4.6L an 5.7L... I dont really plan on pulling anything.. just fixin up the truck and crusing. Maybe a Lift later on with 35" tires... no off roading planned

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
5.7, specially if you're gonna lift it. 5.7L=381 hp, 401ft lbs of torque; 4.6L ?? Higher resale value also on the 5.7L.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Depending on where you are you can only get the 4.6L in certain trucks, in MA you cannot get a CM with the 4.6L

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would get the 5.7, MPG is not much better on 4.6. I bought mine for work, not to tow but now I tow a trailer sometimes. If you lift it you will need more torque to rotate the larger tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have owned both... 5.7 all the way!:apc:

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you can go for the 5.7 do it, its an animal even when its stock. You can beat the performance
of 4 valve per cylinder DOHC engine, it puts a smile on my face everytime I put the hammer down
& it gets right around 15mpg in my every day 40mph back road driving which is pretty good considering the size & weight of the truck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm happy with my 4.6. Rarely tow and it's still way more truck than my old F150 with 5.4 in it. Just comes down to personal preferance but really the cost of the 5.7 is not that much more. I just don't need a 5.7 to sit in Houston traffic and I needed to trim every penny I could when purchasing. 4.6 is still lot of motor - 310 HP and 327 ft/lbs. plenty of oomph for 35's. I'm driving the best truck I've ever owned and only paid less than 23K for it brand new with 20 miles on the odo. my F150 was 40K and there are daym nice Toyotas for 50k... just gotta decide what suits you.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
5.7. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a Tundra w/o that motor. IMO, most of the benefits of the Toyota are lost if you don't buy the 5.7.

Its like 1300 extra bucks. Well worth it if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
5.7l all the way... even the fuel mileage isn't that different, so having the extra hp/torque is very helpful! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
5.7 is a must have. In about a month, my CM will become a baby hauler (woohoo, baby is almost here:baby:!) So right now, the 5.7 is over kill but my wife and I want to eventually buy a travel trailer and I know we will have a much more comfortable towing experience with the 5.7

·
Registered
561 Posts
I love my 4.6L...it packs a big enough punch for me. It's perfect for getting around unloaded and if I have to...haul an ATV. Whatever suits your needs, is what it really comes down to...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been waiting for my 4.6 crewmax for almost 2 months now and being only 2 weeks from taking delivery then installing 2Gs worth of toys on the truck, I cancelled the 4.6 and opt for the 5.7! Not towing a damn thing but these forums suckered me in to the 5.7 side. Pick her up Wednesday. ..just hoping the dealership tops off the first tank!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 4.6 is just a 5.7 with a shorter piston stroke. So its a little smoother and more free revving than the 5.7. Also one reason why Lexus uses the 4.6 in their top of the line $75,000+ LS460. Thus for silky refinement, the 4.6 beats the 5.7 by a small margin plus it gets at least 1 more MPG and costs many hundreds of dollars less too. Resale value of the 4.6 will probably be the same or superior 5 years from now because we are entering an era of downsized vehicles with smaller displacement engines so automakers can meet Obama's new fuel economy standards. Thus, 5 years from now the 4.6 might be in greater demand.

The young folks on this forum were not even born the last time this happened; i.e in the late 1970's carmakers downsized their vehicles and engines in a big way to meet Jimmy Carters fuel economy standards. There was also a national 55 MPH speed limit. Thus, few Chevy truck buyers wanted a 454 V8 in the late 70's and early 80's even though that motor was popular in the early 70's when gas was cheap and there were no fuel economy standards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went with the 4.6 and am VERY HAPPY with it.

It has plenty of horsepower and torque (get up and go). I average almost 20mpg on the highway and with gas prices going back up it all adds up.

From what I hear the 5.7 is a beast and very fast but I'm past that driving style so it didn't matter to me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unless you are towing big weight, I'd opt for the 4.6. Put the $$$ between the difference in engines into some accessories, perhaps a canopy, some vent visors, bug deflector, or better tires. 310 HP and 327 foot pounds of torque is very admirable and more then enough for towing reasonable weight and hauling big loads. And the slight fuel economy difference, the 4.6 getting slightly better fuel economy, will be welcomed when fuel prices go up again at some point. The 4.6 DOES have a 6 speed auto which will keep it in it's more efficient power band much better too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thus for silky refinement, the 4.6 beats the 5.7 by a small margin .
I want power in a pickup, not silky refinement. In the real world, the difference in gas mileage between the 2 engines is negligible. As for resale value, my friend traded in his 07 4.7 for a 2010 5.7. The dealer said he would have gave him $1800 more in trade in if the 07 was a 5.7, (not bad for a $1200 option) because as soon as they clean them up and put them on the lot they sell. The 4.7s sit there unless they heavily discount them. It is just a fact of life that a smaller engine will work harder then a bigger engine. I am not knocking the 4.6. I am sure it will prove to be a good reliable engine, but there is a reason that 80% of Tundra buyers opt for the 5.7. If you are going to use your truck as a truck, and tow or haul heavy loads, or go off road in less then ideal conditions, get the 5.7. If its silky refinement you want, get the 4.6, or better yet, an Avalon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts