Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dealer today and ended up looking around the lot at different Tundras and stuff just for fun. There seemed to be alot more 4.6 trucks on the lot than when I bought mine. I ended up in a conversation with the sales manager about this and he looked up Tundra sales at that dealership for the last couple of months (which are up considerably by the way!). His data showed that they are currently selling about 50/50 4.6's and 5.7's. He said 4.6 sales have seemed to go up steadily. To me this is interesting when comparied to the 10 - 20% range for the 4.7 motor. The guy said there were alot of people that were liking the decent power with somewhat better gas mileage and good enough towing/hauling capacity. I think it also helps that the 4.6 trucks seem to be discounted into the 26 - 28 grand range while the 5.7's are generally optioned up a bit more and running at least 3 -4 grand more money. Depends on what you want/need I guess....

Wondering what others are seeing?

·
Registered
87 Posts
He may be right. I bought a 4.6L and have no issues. Yes, I have driven the 5.7L, as well. My 4.6L picks up quite well....no regrets.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
When I press the accelerator, I want the earth to rotate beneath me. :heh:
For a truck with the size and weight of the Tundra, something around 7.0L with 450 hp would be desirable, with the 5.7 acting as base engine. The 4.6 would be an excellent motor in the Tacoma. :nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I liked the money savings and have young drivers who don't need the earth moving under their tires for now. Supose to get my 4.6L double cab tomorrow delivered, so hope the smaller engine was the correct choice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 4.6 would be an excellent motor in the Tacoma. :nod:
Do you think you could actually squeeze a 4.6 into a tacoma?? I've seen that 1-gen tundra with a 5.7 in it so my guess is it would probably fit... but thats just a guess.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Toyota did a one-off Taco with 4.7 a couple years ago, so odds are the latest generation Taco can accommodate the small V8 (4.6). I would guess there would be little efficiency compromise going from the 4.0 V6 to the 4.6 V8 because the 4.6 has the latest technology, plus with the added torque of the V8, it could be geared for low highway cruising rpms, all of which makes for good mileage. :nod:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toyota did a one-off Taco with 4.7 a couple years ago, so odds are the latest generation Taco can accommodate the small V8 (4.6). I would guess there would be little efficiency compromise going from the 4.0 V6 to the 4.6 V8 because the 4.6 has the latest technology, plus with the added torque of the V8, it could be geared for low highway cruising rpms, all of which makes for good mileage. :nod:
I agree, that would be one awesome truck, and just plain haul a$$. I had an 06 4.0 V6 Taco with 5 spd auto and 4WD and it was no slouch. Near as I can tell so far, that truck got mabie 0.5 mpg better overall than my Tundra 4.6 does. I would think the 4.6 and six speed combo would really do great mileage wise, but I don't know about fit, seems like it would be tight. That 4.6 looks to be pretty BIG, remember it is just a destroked 5.7 and may even be using the same block, the heads and intake look the same for sure. That said, they put the chev 5.3 in a colorado! :D:D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
When I press the accelerator, I want the earth to rotate beneath me. :heh:
For a truck with the size and weight of the Tundra, something around 7.0L with 450 hp would be desirable, with the 5.7 acting as base engine. The 4.6 would be an excellent motor in the Tacoma. :nod:
Ah you're getting soft on me.

The 5.7 would be a good base motor in a Tacoma....

A 570 would be a good base motor for the Tundra.

-rockstate

·
Registered
916 Posts
When you figure the 4.6 is cheaper and still has more pulling power than most people need, it doesn't surprise me they are selling that well. I was really interested in the 4.6 when they came out, more than enough power for what I expect to use it for. My wife is more practical minded and decided that for a minimal cost upgrade, the 5.7 was a worthwhile upgrade. After all, if you need less power, you can push the gas pedal a little lighter. If you need more power, there is a limit to how far you can push the pedal. That, and the fact the Rock Warrior is only available in the 5.7, made me upgrade.

But the 4.6 is a great engine that would probably do everything I would ever ask it to. Then again, its only $1300 +/- to upgrade to a lot more HP and torque and still decent gas mileage....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ended up buying the 2010 Tundra DC with 5.7, but I have to tell you, when I test drove the 4.6 I was really happy with how snappy it was.
In the end, I too "wanted the earth to move under me" when I romped on it.
I was driving on the Feeway in the rain today and at 70 mph I stomped on it to pass someone and I felt the rear slip, just a bit and I took off like a rocket ship.
It never gets old.
SScott

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the thread responses, however my original question was regarding if folks noticed or knew of the ratio of 4.6 to 5.7 sales currently......thanks!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
happy with my 4.6 - smoking deal on it, and it does everything I need it to do.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Not sure about sales nationally, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that as gas prices continue to rise. I personally would like to see an option for having two 5.7L engines mated to each other for a kicka$$ V16. I know there is no room for it, but I'd love to have my foot on the pedal of a Tundra with that running it!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure about sales nationally, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that as gas prices continue to rise. I personally would like to see an option for having two 5.7L engines mated to each other for a kicka$$ V16. I know there is no room for it, but I'd love to have my foot on the pedal of a Tundra with that running it!! :D:D:D
You could do it like the Jeep Hurricane concept. You would lose your bed, but you would have a 5.7 driving the front axle and another 5.7 driving the rear! AWD and 762HP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts