Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Wales. My Landcruiser Amazon with the 2UZ FE 4.7 is suffering a bad misfire. Worse, on cold days it will stall at the first junction and when you try to restart the engine spins over fast with not a hint of firing, then over a minute it will start to fire then catch and start. Restarting is terrible when the engine is warm. We've tried cleaning the throttle body, sensors, change plugs, switch coil packs. compression checks...

According to the diagnostic done by the garage the fault codes are inconclusive (I don't know what that means either) but one said that perhaps it was a crankshaft sensor issue among other things.

I've run out of people to ask and have spent around $1000 having experts look over it.

Anyone have any problems that sound like this? Any thoughts most welcome.

I understand the 2001 Amazon is similar to the Tundra with same engine.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
You'd probaby get more help if this were posted in the land cruiser forum instead of here. Perhaps a mod will be kind enough to move it for you. Anyway from what you say I wonder if the fuel pump is the culprit. You say it doesn't start immediately but will eventually fire up. Has anybody checked the pressure on the fuel rail to make sure that it's within spec? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If its like the tundra it should be located on the drivers side frame rail. Does your fuel pump make any noise when you turn the ignition on? Also have you inspected all of your fuses to make sure that they are all good and properly seated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Puffnstuff,

Thanks for the nod on the forum. My mistake. Not having a clue what a Tundra is as we don't have them here (please don't take offence), I'd been led to believe it had the same set up as the Amazon I have.

No one has even mentioned fueling issues strangely. So that's something to look into definitely as a starter.

When you turn the ignition on there is a noise from what I always assumed was the fuel pump. However, after one of those stalls, I'm not so sure. That is something else to listen out for.

Grateful for your help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an issue with this exact problem, though not with a Toyota, it was a GM vehicle. It turned out that the crankshaft position sensor was almost completly broken off. I changed out the sensor, and problem solved. Also, you may want to look into the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. You could also be having vacuum problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. I will test the sensor and start rom there. Interesting that the Toyota guys cant get any useful diagnosis from the ECU. Wouldn't a faulty crankshaft sensor show?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
is your vehicle OBD ii compliant, if so what codes are you getting?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It could also be bad fuel or water in the fuel which would not combust properly in the engine. I had a similar problem with bad fuel and a clogged fuel filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts