Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I drove a 5.7 DC SR5 the other day; yes, of course it was sweet. Didn't happen to drive the 4.7 version; for those of you that have driven both, or own the 4.7, how does she perform compared to the 5.7? I can get a better deal right now on the 4.7, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanx, Lance

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also drove the 5.7 and it is nice, plenty of power. However, I was trading in my '02 Avalanche with an 8.1 Liter BA V8, so I thought the power was about the same (not the gas mileage though!). I went with the 4.7 because I wanted a 4X4 and they are a bit hard to find around here. i had to go with the better deal and I don't think the power drop off, although noticable, from the 5.7 to the 4.7 is that great. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey, I drove a 5.7 DC SR5 the other day; yes, of course it was sweet. Didn't happen to drive the 4.7 version; for those of you that have driven both, or own the 4.7, how does she perform compared to the 5.7? I can get a better deal right now on the 4.7, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanx, Lance
Any Tundra = good
4.7 Tundra = better
5.7 = :eek: :D

Check out the thread below for some input from others on this topic. Might save some "getting beat up" by over zealous 5.7 owners, myself included:rolleyes:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/95391-4-7-vs-5-7-a/?highlight=4.7+5.7

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes. I drove several 5.7's before I drove the 4.7. I didn't notice much power difference between the two. The 4.7 was equipped like I wanted and it will do everything I want. I am not going to haul a heavy trailer. The most I may ever pull with it is a boat or a small camp trailer. The 4.7 will get the job done. We have another vehicle that goes fast if I want to do that. Our truck is primarily going to be used to drive on the snow and ice we have 7 months of the year. Its other main duty is to haul my fishing equipment and boat motor back and forth to the float plane.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had an 05 with a 4.7L. It was a nice truck and moved well. I just bought a 5.7L about 3 weeks ago. I drive the 05 with the 4.7L almost 2 years and the 5.7L for 3 weeks... and if I had to make a choice all over again??????

I would pick the 5.7L 999 times out of a 1,000!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts

Thanx, Lance
I have owned a 4.7 dc since mid Feb, and it is a great ride. To me, it does not feel gutless and I do not have 5.7 envy. It consistantly delivers 16-17 mpg and sounds great while doing it. Is it the fastest truck on the road? No, and I did not buy it for that . It is a great truck with a great engine.

Many on this board will tell you to go out and buy the 5.7. Since it is only $1400 more... That is probably true if you could really factory order a new truck...the ones I looked at that had the 5.7 were loaded with a bunch of stuff I was not interested in. Besides, its ok not to spend the extra money ..go buy a 50 inch panasonic plasma and watch 24!!

I have owned 454s, v10, and most small block chevys in trucks and suvs and none of them could beat my 4.7 in a drag race.

Others on this board have stated that your resale will be better with a 5.7. I don't agree with that. I look at this like having a very nice smaller house in a big neighborhood...the value will be there!
If you don't need it, don't pay for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have owned a 4.7 dc since mid Feb, and it is a great ride. To me, it does not feel gutless and I do not have 5.7 envy. It consistantly delivers 16-17 mpg and sounds great while doing it. Is it the fastest truck on the road? No, and I did not buy it for that . It is a great truck with a great engine.

Many on this board will tell you to go out and buy the 5.7. Since it is only $1400 more... That is probably true if you could really factory order a new truck...the ones I looked at that had the 5.7 were loaded with a bunch of stuff I was not interested in. Besides, its ok not to spend the extra money ..go buy a 50 inch panasonic plasma and watch 24!!

I have owned 454s, v10, and most small block chevys in trucks and suvs and none of them could beat my 4.7 in a drag race.

Others on this board have stated that your resale will be better with a 5.7. I don't agree with that. I look at this like having a very nice smaller house in a big neighborhood...the value will be there!
If you don't need it, don't pay for it.
I disagree on a few points...

5.7L is faster and I am getting better mileage. It might cost a little more but will tow better and more efficiently. Not only is it JUST the 5.7L but the 6 speed tranny is better as well.
Smoother, more power, less downshifting going uphill. I used to turn off the cruise on my 4.7L because it downshifted and jerked alot. The 5.7L barely downshifts so you can make use of cruise on something other than a flat freeway.
So getting better performance and more power with better mileage is a no brainer to me. Much better choice than all the other add-ons.

You can drag everyone, but you know my 5.7L will beat yours everyday of the week, not that I use it for drag racing (well if I see a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford).

The resale value will be there because if a 5.7L costs more now, it will be there later.

No changing a timing belt... EVER

Besides, I already got a 60" Plasma and the 5.7L is oh so sweet!

·
Registered
378 Posts
It consistantly delivers 16-17 mpg and sounds great while doing it.
I am averaging around 18 now with a 5.7L 4X4, so it is even cheaper to operate as well as my engine only has about 1500 miles and is not even broke in.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 05' too, but given the choice I would take the 5.7L - $1400 over the 4.7L.

Things I have learned.. don't skimp on the engine, or 4WD, those are big regrets!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my truck over the internet sight unseen. My requirements were simple: Double Cab, 4X4, V8 and had to be able to tow a #7,000 boat.

The Dealer bellied up a 07 DC 4X4 w/ To rated @ #7800 and a 4.7 Better than good enough for me. I have enough power to tow my trailer @ 65-70MPH all day on I-95. And when not towing I get 18-19Mpg on the same hwys. (Not to mention I got 4,000 off MSP to-boot)

I will keep this truck for ever or untill Tundra comes oout w/ a Diesel and then I will trade the next day for it. Untill then I'm more than happy!:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bought my truck over the internet sight unseen. My requirements were simple: Double Cab, 4X4, V8 and had to be able to tow a #7,000 boat.

The Dealer bellied up a 07 DC 4X4 w/ To rated @ #7800 and a 4.7 Better than good enough for me. I have enough power to tow my trailer @ 65-70MPH all day on I-95. And when not towing I get 18-19Mpg on the same hwys. (Not to mention I got 4,000 off MSP to-boot)

I will keep this truck for ever or untill Tundra comes oout w/ a Diesel and then I will trade the next day for it. Untill then I'm more than happy!:D
And you could do the same thing with a 5.7L. Maybe in the east (I-95) since everything is so flat on 95. I used to live in SC. I do not remember driving 65-70 on it though :). Especially on 95 through FL. Once you pass through VA you can drop the hammer until you hit Miami.

Here in the west though, take that same boat through a mountain pass to get to a lake and not the Atlantic and you would wish you had gotten the 5.7L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts