Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since there is a thread already started but I see everyone has the larger 5.7L I am curies how many are towing with the 4.7 L engine and what size trailers/loads.

Myself, I only have a 2000 lb boat and the truck doesn't know it's back there. How about the rest of the 4.7 L engine guys ? ? ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
3250lbs Racecar and 1300lbs trailer, does great even thru the mountain passes. Will eventuly upgrade to diesel when it's avaliable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
3000 lb pontoon boat/trailer and gear. I have only towed it once so far but I was at 7000 ft elevation and up a slight grade for 150 miles. The truck performed great. Infact much better than the 5.7l Escalade (with a "towing package") that I have been using for years.

I am currently looking at a Nomad 247 ltd travel trailer or a Rockwood 2306 trailer to pull. Both have gvwr of 4600 ibs or so. I have done all the homework and all the numbers are fine in terms of capability and safety. I am confident I will be able to tow them sufficiently. I dont think my Escalade would do a good job with that weight.

I just ordered a sway bar from Sparks and think I will add the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks in the rear to help.

All in all I am proud of the 4.7L engine.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Well since there is a thread already started but I see everyone has the larger 5.7L I am curies how many are towing with the 4.7 L engine and what size trailers/loads.

Myself, I only have a 2000 lb boat and the truck doesn't know it's back there. How about the rest of the 4.7 L engine guys ? ? ?
I tow about 3500 lb (car and trailer) with mine all the time.
No problems.

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 20' boat that when it is loaded with fuel and 2 or 3 coolers full of stuff is close to about 4500lbs. I drag that thing almost everywhere I go in the summer and the truck doesn't even know it is there.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an '03 Sequoia, previously owned an '06 Tundra, and now a 2007 5.7L Tundra.
I fell prey to the temptation of the incredibly powerful 5.7L, but to be honest, I miss the silky smoothness of the 4.7L, and my 5.7L has had problems (vibration).
Don't have 5.7L envy. It is a fine motor for a 1/2 ton pickup!
R/
Kevin

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
When I had my 2000 Tundra I towed just over 5,000lbs and the 4.7 rocked it our all day long. It was the lack of payload ability that did my Tundra in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sixteen quad...Thats a good load! How many miles are you driving at a time? What speed and rpms? Does the engine have to strain much going uo hills?........Maybe I can get a little bit bigger trailer than I thought

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, using my 2002 Tundra (4.7L Access Cab SR5 TRD off road package) with good quality light truck tires and a weight distribution anti sway hitch, I pulled my 27 foot fleetwood prowler TT all over southern sea level flat Florida. It did fine at 65mph(even with 18 wheelers blowing by at 80 mph)but of course fuel economy was much better at 55mph. Additionally I never used OD or cruse control. I will also say that I personally would not have felt comfortable/safe pulling this same TT with the same set up in any kind of serious hilly country let alone a mountainous region. If all goes as planned:D I will be pulling this TT with a brand spanking new Tundra CM SR5 5.7L 4X4 by next week. I figure I should be able to go anywhere in the lower 48 United States with the new tow vehicle.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
17 ft starcraft runabout- never know its there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry I didnt see the questions untill today.:clown: I usually pull anywhere from 5 to 150 miles one way to camp. I can maintain 70 here in central Alabama no problem. I shift it into 4th to lockout overdrive. It will downshift on the hills and if I dont knock the cruise off it will rev pretty high but my 01 had 231,000 on the clock when I got the 07 so I am not scared of hurting the motor. I will say this after pulling my Outback I am considering taking Toyota at their word and getting a toyhauler. I mean what is the point in 8000 plus lbs of towing capacity if you don't use it.;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 04 DC was a complete dog pulling much of anything over the mnt passes here in Utah. One canyon we travel up frequently (Parleys), I was lucky to go over 50mph pulling a double snowmobile trailer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had an 03 AC that I towed a 23' MasterCraft (3450 dry on the trailer) with 63 gallons of gas and a few more pounds of gear. Truck did great, but the trailer the boat was on was the best boat trailer I've ever seen or heard about. Towing, loading or launching, it was amazing. I miss the trailer more than the boat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have towed a 3500lb dry weight boat plus trailer, gear, and a full truck and the truck did amazing and hauled it without any problems at 80mph. i would like to see any other 5+ liter motor other than the 5.7 tundras do it with that much ease. I love and have not a single regret on my 4.7l purchase. Its a BEAST!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have towed a Honda Civic on a dolly and my 6x12 bike trailer with an 800 lb bike in it and have had no problems going or stopping

1 - 20 of 39 Posts