Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2007 4.7L double cab about a week ago and now I think I really want the 5.7L. The truck is not supposed to be assembled until the end of this month. I need convincing one way or the other can anyone help out? Also is there anyone out there that just recently ordered a tundra and still got that $1,000 trade in offer. My dealer said they couldn't accept a trade-in until my vehicle had arrived unfortunately this incentive will surely be over by then. I'm due to get the truck around mid May.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've always been a motor nut (last car was an 05 GTO, had several Powerstrokes, etc), and that 5.7 is just a gem. Do I need it? Probably not, but I'm thinking their really isn't a mileage penalty, and resale wise, it might be a good investment. Get the 5.7 is my call.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've always been a motor nut (last car was an 05 GTO, had several Powerstrokes, etc), and that 5.7 is just a gem. Do I need it? Probably not, but I'm thinking their really isn't a mileage penalty, and resale wise, it might be a good investment. Get the 5.7 is my call.
I like you am also a power nut.My Super duty was chipped & my Challenger has a 563 hp 493 stroker in it, so ya go for the 5.7.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If your pondering over this it is obvious you want the extra 100 hp and 6 speed with larger rear end with 4.3 gears.

I learned the hard way about settling for a "lesser" equiped vehicle, especially the drive train.

Get the 5.7, so you wont feel regret seeing a 5.7 in the wild...:tu:

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you keep the truck for many miles,you will have to change the timing belt with the 4.7.That will reduce the price difference between the two considerably.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I ordered a 2007 4.7L double cab about a week ago and now I think I really want the 5.7L. The truck is not supposed to be assembled until the end of this month. I need convincing one way or the other can anyone help out? Also is there anyone out there that just recently ordered a tundra and still got that $1,000 trade in offer. My dealer said they couldn't accept a trade-in until my vehicle had arrived unfortunately this incentive will surely be over by then. I'm due to get the truck around mid May.
IMO, don't settle for less. I came from an '04 DC with the 4.7L V8. When I placed my order for the CrewMax the 5.7L was at the top of my list. You can't wrong with the bigger motor and the 6 speed tranny. It's so smooth and the power of the 5.7L is incredible:D

Don't suffer from buyer's remose:cry: Get the beast:tu: Change your order now:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMO, don't settle for less. I came from an '04 DC with the 4.7L V8. When I placed my order for the CrewMax the 5.7L was at the top of my list. You can't wrong with the bigger motor and the 6 speed tranny. It's so smooth and the power of the 5.7L is incredible:D

Don't suffer from buyer's remose:cry: Get the beast:tu: Change your order now:D
Ditto +1:tu:

also heard quotes of 2k for 5.7, but I paid 1.2k. If you already ordered it and the dealer won't negotiate consider shopping other dealers by sending specs via internet, might just save some $. I save 2k of msrp + got a better trade in price and they offered me a 1k leasing rebate thru TMC my previous dealer did not mention by doing this. Some dealers are more motivated than others, especially if they know your a serious buyer.:cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a 4.7L and I like it. I really enjoy driving it. Does everything I need it to do. It hauls my fishing and hunting gear back and forth to our floatplane.

·
Registered
87 Posts
5.7 all the way. If you must have a reason ... resale.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm more than happy with my 4.7 plenty of power for me. When I bought it no one had the 5.7 yet. Almost couldn't find the truck period, the dealer had to call around to other dealers just to get me one.

·
Registered
621 Posts
5.7 all the way. If you must have a reason ... resale.
Time will tell but I don't think that will matter. We just sold our 1992 extended cab truck. The first person that looked at it purchased it. Single lady that lives in Tok, Alaska. She just wanted a good 4x4 to get around in the winter with. The fact it was a well maintained Toyota is what sold it. Toyota has a great reputation and just about any Toyota holds its resale value better than other cars. We owned the truck 15 years and put 166,000 miles on it. We sold it for over a third of what we originally paid for it. Do that with another brand. The 5.7 may make a difference but I am betting it won't. If any of these trucks are well maintained they will have a high resale value. Just my experience with Toyotas.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
110hp, 88tq ... Thats the most compelling argument I can make. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
If you keep the truck for many miles,you will have to change the timing belt with the 4.7.That will reduce the price difference between the two considerably.
I totally agree stubblejumper. Looking at Toyota's website there is only a difference of $1260 between the MSRP of a SR5 Double Cab 4.7 and a SR5 Double Cab 5.7. A timing belt job on a 4.7, depending on where you go, can cost anywhere from $500-$1000.

And like everyone else has stated, the additional HP, TQ and one more gear is worth more than the $1260 difference.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
"Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" or so it has been said. I think you can't go wrong with the bigger motor. Or to use a cliche' again -'There's no replacement for displacement'.
I, like another poster, had my 6.0l Ford chipped with intake and exhaust. I removed the tuner last week (trading in as soon as Tundra arrives) and boy it has been boring to drive without the extra ponies (80) that my Superchips gave me.
I don't know about you, but I do not regret the things that I have done, but those that I did not do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The 4.7 is no slouche, but hey, with 110hp, 88 more torque and better milage, why not? I testdrove both and the 5.7 won me over in about 8.6 nanoseconds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was wondering about that timing chain thing myself.

Personally, when it comes to buying something that is this expensive and that will last many years to come, you are going to want to get exactly what you want. Don't make any hasty decisions. In this case, while you may not need the 4.7 now, you might need it later. I got the 4.7 and while it is plenty of truck for my needs right now, I could possibly need more later. You never know when something is going to come up and you are going to want that extra power. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The price difference is minimal.

Besides, you're already wondering about it...may as well remove all doubt and spring for the 5.7. While I don't need the 5.7 now, I do kind of regret not getting it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You'll wish you had got the 5.7 the first time one pulls up next to you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You'll wish you had got the 5.7 the first time one pulls up next to you.

More motor, more gears, more gas milage. Hell yes I got the 5.7

1 - 20 of 31 Posts