Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm going to be getting a Tundra soon (since Toyota was the only place I could find with a TRAC lease program), a 2wd double cab longbed, and I'm curious as to the differencee in fuel mileage between the two motors. I've test drove both and of course the 5.7L is more fun, but how is the real world mileage? the EPA says it's actually better than the 4.7 but they are not known for giving out anything close to what you actually get.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm on my third tank with my 2WD DC 5.7L. My first tank was about all highway miles and I averaged 20.7 MPG. My second tank was about all city driving and I averaged 16.8 MPG. Go for the 5.7, the bigger engine wont have to "work" as hard to get this big truck moving. I use to own a 2001 tundra with the 4.7 and it seemed I was always having to get up to about 3,500-4,000 RPM just to get rolling. My 5.7L seems to get me rolling without even exceeding 2,500 RPM. Lower RPM starts=better gas milage. Plus will have that very sexy 5.7L badge on the side of your truck, thats got to be good for an extra 1 MPG :D

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I just got the 5.7 from Scott Beard at Champion south for 4500 off sticker (offer till end of month). I have yet to go through my 1st tank, BUT after driving an 06 with a for 8 months I can tell you to get the 5.7! I had the 4.7 and towed a boat to the coast and always felt a bit underpowered...it is a truck and the more capable it is at towing hauling ect. the better. The mpg may be 1-2 apart but for the difference of the 2 engines I say go 5.7 hands down....you will have better resale here in Texas with the 5.7 IMO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi all, I'm going to be getting a Tundra soon (since Toyota was the only place I could find with a TRAC lease program), a 2wd double cab longbed, and I'm curious as to the differencee in fuel mileage between the two motors. I've test drove both and of course the 5.7L is more fun, but how is the real world mileage? the EPA says it's actually better than the 4.7 but they are not known for giving out anything close to what you actually get.
So far my 07 Tundra 5.7 is getting the same gas mileage as my 03 Tundra with 4.7., and the 07 is not even broke in yet. Don't know if this will hold true for the 07's with 4.7.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You'll have buyers remose if you get the 4.7L V8:mad: Pay a little more and get the awesome 5.7L:tu: you will thank yourself when you mash the pedal and feel the power:D You will also get the 6 speed tranny, which is so cool. I'm upto 16.9 MPG with a little over 600 miles on the clock, and it's getting better. If I can get to 18.5 MPG with my 4x4 Crewmax, I'll be contented:)

Good luck:tu:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the 5.7 in mine and I would'nt have taken a 4.7 if they gave it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 5.7 has twice as much power and gets better gas milage so theirs no need to even think it over. It must suck to be one of the dodos that got a 4.7:( :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
The 4.7-liter V8 is a fine motor. It has obviously proved itself in reliability. I've driven many 00-06 Tundras with the 4.7 (Both 4-spd and 5-spd combinations) and the truck has plenty of power for the average driver. Not everyone hauls or tows near their max limits. One thing Toyota has always done great was tuned their motors for low-mid range power.

I got the 5.7/6-spd combo because I'm coming from a fairly large 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel and I'm use to the torque + I need it to make me feel better about spending $40k on a truck :p I will be honest and say that I've never really liked any motor that Toyota has produced here in the US, (Yes not even the 2JZ Supra TT motor) but all that has changed because this 5.7 is an ANIMAL. Pulls strong up top, great low-midrange...I can't complain at all. If Toyota tuned this motor for a sports car it will FLY.

Regardless of the 4.7 vs 5.7, just enjoy your truck. They both get you from point A to point B in Tundra fashion! :tu:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Since the 5.7 makes over 100hp more than the 4.7,equals or exceeds the 4.7 as far as fuel mileage is concerned,and will not require regular timing belt replacement like the 4.7,the obvious choice for me was the 5.7.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the choice as well, and for me it was a no brainer and went with the 5.7L (Toyota Hemi).

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had the choice as well, and for me it was a no brainer and went with the 5.7L (Toyota Hemi).
Please do not use the word hemi with the word toyota unless it used as raced a hemi with my toyota and smoked it. I hate dodge they look nice but thats about all there good for is sitting there looking pretty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Since the 5.7 makes over 100hp more than the 4.7,equals or exceeds the 4.7 as far as fuel mileage is concerned,and will not require regular timing belt replacement like the 4.7,the obvious choice for me was the 5.7.
Makes you wonder why they are still offering the 4.7 option. I can see them droping it next year once the 5.7 is not new any longer. My brother has an 07 Tundra with the 6 cylinder and i was surprised at how much torque that thing has. It seemed almost as torquey as my 03 with the 4.7.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Makes you wonder why they are still offering the 4.7 option. I can see them droping it next year once the 5.7 is not new any longer. My brother has an 07 Tundra with the 6 cylinder and i was surprised at how much torque that thing has. It seemed almost as torquey as my 03 with the 4.7.
They won't drop it. It is a great engine and gives more optiions when buying (4.7 = cheaper) and some buyers do not know the difference between a 4.7 or a 5.7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually got the 4.7. Yeah i know, no one start throwing rocks! lol.. I had an 03 Tundra before with the V6 so this was an upgrade for me. I dont plan on towing a boat, just throwing some motocross bikes in the back, but the good thing is, is that after 3 years i can upgrade. One other main reason i did not go for the 5.7. is that some of my family members friends work at the plant in Huntsville where the 5.7 is made, and they have had to throw out alot of engines that did not pass their high QC, so didnt want to chance it with the first runs of production. Im hoping everyone with the 5.7 Monster! :) has no problems!

·
Registered
479 Posts
One other main reason i did not go for the 5.7. is that some of my family members friends work at the plant in Huntsville where the 5.7 is made, and they have had to throw out alot of engines that did not pass their high QC
To me the high QC that they are putting the 5.7 through is even more reason to go with the 5.7.

·
Registered
202 Posts
They won't drop it. It is a great engine and gives more optiions when buying (4.7 = cheaper) and some buyers do not know the difference between a 4.7 or a 5.7.
Depends on demand i guess. When i bought my truck the dealer had maybe 20 Tundras on the lot - not one had the 4.7 - they were all 5.7. The dealer said that is what everybody wanted.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got the 5.7 in mine and I would'nt have taken a 4.7 if they gave it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 5.7 has twice as much power and gets better gas milage so theirs no need to even think it over. It must suck to be one of the dodos that got a 4.7:( :D :D
This is a Toyota forum, and not a 5.7 forum. You put a lot of people down saying what you did. You're not one to make friends easily, are you? :confused:

My 4.7 in my '06 SR5 4x4 DC cost me $25,998. I'm wondering what the average Joe paid for his new '07 CrewMax 4x4 SR5 with the 5.7? I bet a few financial analysts would call the guy buying the '07 CrewMax a "dodo" as you say, but I'll hold my judgement to myself and respect the hard earned $$ we all paid for our Tundras. To me, anyone who spends their hard earned $$ on any Toyota made an wise, informed decision.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Depends on demand i guess. When i bought my truck the dealer had maybe 20 Tundras on the lot - not one had the 4.7 - they were all 5.7. The dealer said that is what everybody wanted.
Interesting, when I bought here I would say it was 50/50 on the two, maybe a few more of the 4.7's.

I did notice though the salesman was trying to push me into the 4.7L. Still don't understand that to this day and he would probably never tell. I was always under the impression that in sales, higher priced $ items bring in more of a commission? Maybe the manager was offering a bonus or something to move the 4.7's?

However, I ALREADY had my mind set on the 5.7

1 - 20 of 35 Posts