Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in sales and rarely tow anything. I want a truck that looks great, is big and roomy, and ready for occasional work. I do not own or plan to own any heavy equipment. A 4 wheeler trailer is all I ever tow.

Gas mileage is really what I am wondering about. The sticker says the 5.7L 2wd gets better mileage than the 4.7L 2wd.

Real world- I dont know??? Please give me your thoughts. If the difference is negligible, I'd go wit hthe 5.7 for higher resale. I am also wondering if Toyo has cylinder deactivation around the corner and if I buy know, I will pay for it later????

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Good screen name for a salesman. I believe Bedford Forrest was in sales, also. From what I read, the new 5.7 gets as good mileage as the 4.7. It should pull the weight of a crewmax easier, also. The 4.7 mileage figures on this forum are all over the place. Some only get 13 mpg and others get 18 mpg. Luck of the draw, I suppose, but don't know why, unless weight really affects the small V8(?). I see no reason NOT to get the 5.7.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I believe Jacksonville has a high school named after General. As far as his sales career, all I can say is that it was different time and place back then.

I want the 5.7 but I dont need it. If the 4.7 does better real world MPG, than I will get it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When you get the 5.7 you also get the 6 speed tranny which gives better mileage numbers....I wouldn't think of getting the 4.7 in the Crewmax.:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
the 4.7 is plenty of motor.

but the 5.7 is big and sexy, probably increase re-sale value.

mpg may vary...especially depending on how much you put your foot in it.

I got 16mpg hand calculated exactly on my first full tank of gas, mixed driving, including city, highway, some 4x4 work, some triple digit speeds...

the age old addage is this: "better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

I am into simplicity and price right now, so I went with the 4.7. If $ was not an issue, i'd of gotten the 5.7.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Thanks
I believe Jacksonville has a high school named after General. As far as his sales career, all I can say is that it was different time and place back then.

I want the 5.7 but I dont need it. If the 4.7 does better real world MPG, than I will get it.
I did not mean the remark to be insulting. If it was taken that way, I apologize. The general was a very successful businessman for his era.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am in sales and rarely tow anything. I want a truck that looks great, is big and roomy, and ready for occasional work. I do not own or plan to own any heavy equipment. A 4 wheeler trailer is all I ever tow.

Gas mileage is really what I am wondering about. The sticker says the 5.7L 2wd gets better mileage than the 4.7L 2wd.

Real world- I dont know??? Please give me your thoughts. If the difference is negligible, I'd go wit hthe 5.7 for higher resale. I am also wondering if Toyo has cylinder deactivation around the corner and if I buy know, I will pay for it later????
If you drive conservatively, the 5.7 will get a little bit better mileage then the 4.7. but in the real world, I think the 4.7 will get the better mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the 4.7 because they were offering 0% financing on it (not the 5.7 for some reason) and I didn't want to spend $100/month more for it - although, sometimes I wish I'd have gotten the 5.7, especially when my buddy brags about his trailblazer SS...I'd have loved to smoke him with the 5.7. But, I'm comforted knowing the 4.7 is a well-tested engine - I am confident it will last a long time. I've heard there have been problems with the 5.7 since it's new. I'm sure Toyota will have the kinks worked out in another year.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would of gone with either engine when I purchased my Tundra. I got the 4.7 L because the dealers around here were giving MUCH better deals on them. I got a extra $2000 off with the 4.7 L over the 5.7 L AND the 5.7 L would of cost me another $1200. So that was $3200 I saved by going with the 4.7 L engine and I figure that paid for about 18 months of expensive gasoline. :D

The 4.7 L engine is very strong and can tow up to 8000 lbs. I tow a boat that is only 2000 lbs and I can't even tell it's back there.

City driving I would think the 4.7 L engine would get you a little better mileage because the the 5.7 L engine comes with 4:30 rear end gears vs 4:10 gear with 4.7 L engine. However, the 5.7 L engine makes up for that with it's double overdrive on the highway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the 4.7 DC 2wd with the TRD package. The truck is in no way underpowered. I mostly wanted the piece of mind of the proven 300k iron block power plant. I am getting a consistant 17.9 mpg with a combination of city and highway driving. My ONLY complaint is that it runs rather high RPMs for a V8 of this size at highway speeds...

I also drove the 5.7 before I made my purchase. It is a MONSTER performer. Its just not necessary for my habits and needs. No regrets here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also in sales and chose the 4.7 but I added 4x4.
That was the price I was willing to pay based on what my requirements are.
I plan on keeping this truck and giving it to my son later so resale was not a big deal to me. The fact that the 4.7 has been around and has enough power for what I do was one of the factors in my choice.
On that note, my office pays for my gas so the mpg was not a big issue for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
get the 5.7L.

Aside from the increased power and gas mileage, the 5.7L also uses a timing chain. The 4.7L uses a timing belt so it will need to be changed at 90k miles and costs about $700 to do. Might as well pay the extra $600 for a 5.7L so you won't have to worry about a $700 timing belt change later down the road.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
5.7 is worth every penny. Get it and dont look back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
5.7 L gets my vote. better resale, sounds and looks better too. pair that with a suttle exhaust change ( corsa or something ), you will have a good mileage truck that sounds super good to customers too.

as an example... when i looked at a new truck last year i was looking at used stuff and i pretty much ignored the smaller v8's if the same truck/suv had a bigger offering for that year. ie: expeditions have a 4.6 or a 5.4L - my first question was what engine it had and i did not bother to look at anything with the 4.6 , same mileage and only half the pulling power. 5 or 6 years down the road, you will have an easier time selling the 5.7 tundra then the 4.7

btw - i got the 5.7 CM, i couldn't be happier. corsa exhaust and CAI coming up this year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you want respect on this forum it's best you get the 5.7, if you want to be the (_|_) of all their (5.7 owners) jokes and be told that you are basically clueless then get the 4.7, by my sig you can see I fall into the latter group.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
5.7...Don't get the 6spd trans though...I swear I think the thing makes me speed no matter how lightly I touch the pedal.:devil:

·
Happy Member
292 Posts
Take the WallNuts out of the bag and get the 5.7 . Keep looking back cuz that is where all the non 5.7 people are. LOL . I love my 5.7 DC LTD TRD. Go for the 5.7 and don't look back.

·
Registered
585 Posts

I've also owned a 4.7 and the mpg is better with the 5.7.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I own the 4.7 and the only thing that makes me want the 5.7 is becuase people on here will make you feel little for not getting one. I am noticing more and more people on here with the 4.7 and this thread is proof. We used to not be able to get a word in edge wise.

Reason I did not get the 5.7
4.7 is proven and there are no known issues.
I do not like the 6 speed trnasmission. Seams like it is always shifting.
4.7 is cheaper.
If I bought the 5.7 I would have had to pay $1000 more to get the extended warranty.
They did not have the truck I wanted in the 5.7

With that said I don't think you can go wrong with the 5.7, but there is nothing wrong with the 4.7.

I have never wanted more power.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts