Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got in my 2001 Tundra after leaving the grocery store, fired it up, and the 4 Hi and 4 Low lights were blinking on the dash and the switches! I never touched the switches! 4 Hi switch was in the off position. WTF? I depressed the switch and nothing happened, still blinking. I backed up to see if 4 Hi would disengage (if it had engaged itself), still blinking. I drove back to work, the 4 Lo light blinked quickly several times, then normal blink. I stopped at a gas station on the way back to check under the hood and under the truck to see if there was anything obvious that had caused this self induced craziness, nothing noticeable (other than a leaking power steering line! Argh!). At this point, the 4 Low light stopped blinking but 4 Hi was still blinking. I noticed a shaking at around 50 mph, so I kept the speed down. Got to work and when pulling into a parking spot, I noticed 4WD must have been engaged as I got the tugging in the front end when going slow with the wheel turned. After work, I fired up the truck and hoped perhaps things would be clear. Nope. Still had the 4 Hi light blinking. I backed up and turned the wheel full rotation in both directions to disengage 4WD, then drove home. Didn't notice any shaking at or above 50mph, but the light stayed on (blinking). I got home, shut her down, brought some things inside, then got back in the truck to head over to my mechanic friends house to leave it with him to diagnose. Would you believe on the way over the 4 Hi light stopped blinking!

So.......anybody have an idea why on earth the truck did all of this, self induced with no 4WD buttons pushed? Short history of the truck - bought it used a few months ago, dumped probably $8K into this beast fixing issues and rust, replaced both CV axles (new) and replaced the front differential with a used unit as the drivers side bearing was bad on my original and the trans shop said it would be cheaper to buy a used unit rather than rebuild my front differential. I had replaced the actuator before this work was done and texted my friend to swap the actuator off the used unit for the one that was on the truck since it was new, but he didn't get my text until after the job was done, so it is operating with probably an original unit. Could that old original have shorted or something and self induced this blinking light madness? I parked the truck and haven't touched it since bringing it home from my mechanic friends house after the light went out on it's own.

Please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem.... The fix to my problem was to pull off the Rear transfer case actuator. Pulled it apart and found corrosion inside. Caused by a crack in the plastic housing around one of the bolt holes... Degreased it then carefully cleaned the contacts with light sand paper. Re greased the contacts.Checked the motor to ensure it was still functioning. Patched the crack with epoxy. Reassembled the housing and checked the function of the system...was spot on, Time was about 3+ hours but more time was spent hunting down the issue because the crack wasn't easily visible on the housing and the motor was intermittent in moving. Saved about $1200 for a new part, but time isn't free....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same issue here, same story as GuNNyRaBBit, except my rear actuator was beyond repair, the contacts were completely corroded and while attempting to sand them down they came off the housing. Ended up putting a new one on, no issues ever since. Mine got water in when the little hose on it came off probably last winter and rain water got in and probably also at the car wash. Bought new rear actuator OEM at a "discounted" price of $750 through a friend of mine at the dealer. Replaced it myself and saved some $$. About an hour or so. Mine is a 2006 DC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds to me that one of your two actuators is filled with mud/water. Easiest but most expensive actuator is on the Transfer Case held on by 3 10mm bolts. Chances are that if the small rubber hose attached is cracked this is your culprit. Dealer charges a small fortune for these, so I've horded them over the years. I personally had this issue and have pictures on my old phone of a bad one versus a good one. Save yourself the money though and look for a used one. I may have one that I don't need anymore cause my truck isn't 4x4 anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts