Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 is my 4th Tundra. With the bed bounce, drivetrain clunk, possible front diff. problem and now with the AIP problems. (My Tundra falls in the Vin range of the AIP trouble.) I am getting concerned about the quality of this Tundra. I never thought I would have to buy an extended warrantee on any Toyota. Thats why I bought Toyotas! I test drove a 2010 Dodge Larimie today. I never thought I would sit in a dodge. Hate to admit, I liked the truck. This decision is driving me crazy!!:crazy3d::crazy3d:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Buddy of mine just bought one and ill admit it is nice, but its still a dodge, i had an 02 tundra i sold to get a dodge diesel and that was the worst decision i ever made. the cummins was great, but the truck fell apart. Im stickin with toyota and ill never own another dodge, but maybe the government fixed all of dodges issues (the whole truck). haha

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree totally here...if you get the doge dont forget to save up for the transmission. If you lurk over at the dodge trucks forums thats what they will tell you most on a diesal dodge turbo is the tranny goes out at about 80k miles some of the diffs go out also, but other than that they are great trucks. I still stick with tundra even with AIP problems vs the big 3.
Buddy of mine just bought one and ill admit it is nice, but its still a dodge, i had an 02 tundra i sold to get a dodge diesel and that was the worst decision i ever made. the cummins was great, but the truck fell apart. Im stickin with toyota and ill never own another dodge, but maybe the government fixed all of dodges issues (the whole truck). haha

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you are looking at the 1500, they sure do ride nice, I test drove one. Also if you are looking at the 1500 dont worry about the tranny, its not the old 42,46,48re. The one behind the Hemi has proven reliable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is the VIN range and what is the AIP Problem????
Secondary Air Injection Pump is part of the emissions system that has been failing for myself and many other Tundra owners. It is VERY expensive to fix ($3500-5000). Extended warranty companies are refusing to foot the bill because dealers are blaming the failure on "water intrusion". I have seen where the Toyota Platinum Warranty is covering it, but, Toyota hasn't stepped up to the plate for the rest of us.

Tundra and Sequoia $4000 Air Injection System Problem | Tundra Headquarters

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181377-air-induction-pump/

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
You'll probably like the rear coil spring suspension on the Dodge. Good luck on your new truck and post some pics.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the reply!!! That really stinks that Toyota is looking to "cheat" the system because they sacrificed quality or the manufacturer for them screwed up and the working man pays again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
yea my dodge was a 5 speed manual so i didnt have the tranny problems, also dodge's A/C system sucks and compared to toyotas, the dodge 1500 at works a/c went out at 50,000 miles. But i have to give the ride to dodge cause it does ride great. Also unless you opt for the 3.92 rear end, the toyota has much better off the line throttle, i drove one with the 3.92 and it was still a bit slower than the tundra off the line but not much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 08 is my 4th Tundra. With the bed bounce, drivetrain clunk, possible front diff. problem and now with the AIP problems. (My Tundra falls in the Vin range of the AIP trouble.) I am getting concerned about the quality of this Tundra. I never thought I would have to buy an extended warrantee on any Toyota. Thats why I bought Toyotas! I test drove a 2010 Dodge Larimie today. I never thought I would sit in a dodge. Hate to admit, I liked the truck. This decision is driving me crazy!!:crazy3d::crazy3d:
Update...I now own a 2010 Dodge 1500 Larimie. Went from a 08 SR5 to 2010 Larimie for $10,000 to boot. I own my own business, so it will be even less at tax time!! Will try to get pics in a couple of days.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What is the range if the VIN 's that you referred to in "My Tundra falls in the Vin range of the AIP trouble"

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Update...I now own a 2010 Dodge 1500 Larimie. Went from a 08 SR5 to 2010 Larimie for $10,000 to boot. I own my own business, so it will be even less at tax time!! Will try to get pics in a couple of days.

Congrats on your new Dodge and keep us posted on how you like it. ... :D

Having owned a bunch of Toyotas too, I must admit that Toyota's quality has slipped over the past few years. ... :eek:

Maybe this last "gas pedal issue" and lost sales (like yours & others) will wake Toyota up ... :confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the range if the VIN 's that you referred to in "My Tundra falls in the Vin range of the AIP trouble"
I called my dealer to see if my Tundra was in the VIN range. If you would like, I could call and get the VIN range. Let me know.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That really stinks that Toyota is looking to "cheat" the system because they sacrificed quality or the manufacturer for them screwed up and the working man pays again!!!!!!!

The "working man" is still paying for the 80 BILLION dollars that GM and Chrysler stole from the tax payers pockets because they can't figure out how to make a profit.

The "working man" will be bailing them out again before Barry is out of office.... mark my words! They lost another 4.3 BILLION dollars in the 4th quarter.

This "working man" will get in his Tundra tomorrow and smile... because I know it was made here, I know its as good or better than any other truck on the road. And I know that $0.00 of my tax money was used to make it.

I'm not calling you out, but you should think before you use the words "screwed" and "cheat" in the same sentence as "Toyota". The screwing and cheating have come from our "too big to fail" brands...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've tried to send emails to Toyota asking about this air induction problem but get nothing back.
I too am looking at a Dodge. Got a friend that works for the company and he said to buy 04-07 sticking with the 5.9L Cummins. I'd like to get it in a long bed, extended or mega cab either way and if possible the manual tranny.
This will be the first Big Three since 1986 back then I had a Silverado that lasted until 1999 when I sold it to a youngster in Wasilla, Alaska. I would much rather buy a Tundra but shelling out 2-4 grand every so often for water intrusion is nonsense.

·
Registered
456 Posts

$10,000!?! Thats a lot. In 2008, I traded an 02 Tundra (85K miles) for a similiar equipped new 2008 Tundra. Difference was $15000 tax included.

The company I work for leases a new Ram every 3 years. I've worked there long enough to see 3 of them come and go. The quality is getting somewhat better... the 07 we had didn't need a tranny.... but it had the whole front end replaced before it hit 30K miles, it also had something in the rear end fixed. The 04 we had went thru a tranny, ball joints, and one rear end (housing and all).

Like I said, I think the quality is getting better... good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I will never buy dodge again. After four years the transmission went and the drive shaft BROKE while going down the road. Piece of CRAP, and that is harsh of me to say!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too was pleasantly surprised with the way the 2010 dodge rides....smoothest of the bunch and tight turning radius.Very comfortable seats, good power and nice layout of the interior. Love the remote start, 110 VAC receptacle and cold storage options in floor.
On the downside, there isn't nearly as much legroom in the rear as in the crew F150 or Tundra.
We have a 2010 F150 black platinum which is very nice, but as a second truck I wanted something different and decided to go with a Tundra DC LTD. The Dodge Sport was close, but in the end I did not think I would be satisfiable long-term with the styling.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts