Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 4.7 Tundra 4 speed, 120k miles. I'm thinking about swapping a 5 speed automatic from an 05-06 into my 03.

I've done alot of searching and couldn't find very much information about it.

I do know that the 5 speed has better gear ratios, especially 1st to 2nd, and is more efficient than the 4 speed. Also mine is starting to slip between 1st and 2nd.

I've heard through the grape vine a few people on here have done this swap before. I'm assuming I would need the 5 speed tcu, maybe a new driveshaft, cooler lines, not sure what else?

I'm pretty new to tundras, only installed headers and k&n intake so far but I've done a 5 speed manual swap on my bmw and a few engine swaps.

Any help is much appreciated!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

Swapping the engine and tranny sounds like the only way to do it since the ECU holds the TCU also. That means I would need the newer ECU, wire harness, gauge cluster (which looks way better anyway), and I would imagine a few other things. I will do some searching.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.