Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine to use the 4x4. Don't get me wrong I take care of it, but I don't baby it. I use the 4x4 for hunting and playing.

I took it out to our local river for some playing while I still had the dealer tags on it. Kept away from brush to prevent 'Texas pinstripping', but I did plenty of climbing, mud slinging, even got the front wheels in the air once.

Carnage: The front skid plate (TRD package) has now got a decent dent and tear from rocks. Not a biggy as that is what it is designed for, but may be interesting to R&I at the oil change.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I dented my skid plate too over the weekend.

Man, the front end needs to be leveled up. My opinion, it should come that way with the "off road" package.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not going to take our Tundra Off-Road. But, then again I use 4X4 seven months of the year getting around on the streets. I don't have ANY plans to put our truck in 4X4 until late September when it starts snowing again. I have had all the 4X4 experiences I need this year. I am ready for some dry streets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
went fishing over the weekend and got stuck in foot of mud. in the process of trying to get unstuck for 10 minutes i covered the truck with cow paddy size mud droppings... the autobody shop was not happy to see the truck this morning when i dropped it off for them to fix the bumper

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torch- With this truck (and most others that I am aware of) you do need to put it in 4x4 occasionally to keep everything lubed. Most recommend once a month for a couple of miles. I will have to see what this truck recommends.

Toxarch- Attached are the pics you requested. Like I said, not too bad, but still carnage.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Torch- With this truck (and most others that I am aware of) you do need to put it in 4x4 occasionally to keep everything lubed. Most recommend once a month for a couple of miles. I will have to see what this truck recommends.

Toxarch- Attached are the pics you requested. Like I said, not too bad, but still carnage.
I know that I read it somewhere in the OM...it said to run it in 4 wheel drive once a month for 11 (I believe?) miles to keep everything lubed up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my Tundra to tow my wheeling rig, so other then trail heads, the tundra wont see any dirt.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Toreadorranger -what's your wheeling rig? Am buying my tundra to cruise around sand dunes. Will post pics as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The manual suggests at least 16 km/10 miles each month. Page 240 if you care to look.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Err.... What you are showing in the photos is what Toyota refers to as the "No. 1 Engine Under Cover", not the TRD skid plate. This is the same engine cover that we all have to remove to do an oil filter change. All the Tundras, TRD or not, have this protective cover ("skid plate"). The TRD skid plate is aluminum plate is in additional cover that is placed over this standard cover. I think it is shown as an accessory. I almost bought one until I realized the truck already has the under engine cover, plus I didn't want the hassel of removing the aluminum accessory plate in addtion to the factory cover every time I wanted to change the oil.

You would appear to be a good canditate for this item.

It's curious that the TRD package makes a big deal about skid plates when all the trucks have the No. 1 Engine Under Cover anyway. When it comes to skid plates what you are really getting with the the TRD package over the standard truck is the fuel tank skid plate.

FMI on engine under cover see:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...5-where-oil-filter-located-5-7-oil-change.pdf

FMI on the TRD aluminum skid plate accessory see:
Toyota Tundra Parts and Accessories Store : Front Skid Plate, Large Engine Under Cover - 2007 toyota Tundra [PT212-34071] - $375.00$300.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
Err.... What you are showing in the photos is what Toyota refers to as the "No. 1 Engine Under Cover", not the TRD skid plate. This is the same engine cover that we all have to remove to do an oil filter change. All the Tundras, TRD or not, have this protective cover ("skid plate"). The TRD skid plate is aluminum plate is in additional cover that is placed over this standard cover. I think it is shown as an accessory. I almost bought one until I realized the truck already has the under engine cover, plus I didn't want the hassel of removing the aluminum accessory plate in addtion to the factory cover every time I wanted to change the oil.

You would appear to be a good canditate for this item.

It's curious that the TRD package makes a big deal about skid plates when all the trucks have the No. 1 Engine Under Cover anyway. When it comes to skid plates what you are really getting with the the TRD package over the standard truck is the fuel tank skid plate.

My TRD version does not have a skid plate that looks like that, just a thin stamped steel job, and the gas tank skid plate is just plastic.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
My TRD version does not have a skid plate that looks like that, just a thin stamped steel job, and the gas tank skid plate is just plastic.
That would be why it is called an "Engine under cover", not a skid plate.

I have the same thing, mine is now dented. I did say skid plate before, I meant "engine under cover". I may have to upgrade to a true skid plate, probably wait for aftermarket to catch up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be why it is called an "Engine under cover", not a skid plate.

I have the same thing, mine is now dented. I did say skid plate before, I meant "engine under cover". I may have to upgrade to a true skid plate, probably wait for aftermarket to catch up.
The factory sticker says "Engine and fuel tanks skidplates", I thought that was one of the "TRD" components.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone have a factory part number for a gas tank skid plate? That tank looks aweful vulnerable under there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree the front needs to be leveled. While parked in my driveway this weekend I crawled or attempted to crawl under the front end to search for the oil filter, I have the TRD skid plate on my Limited 4x4 DC. I couldn’t even get my head between the concrete and the skid plate. IMO the front end is too low, especially for a 4x4.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In order to avoid wear problems caused by excessive CV shaft angles, a lot of people who are having their front ends lifted (me included) install differential drop spacers that then require either skid plate trimming to clear the diff or skid plate spacers to clear it.

Just a heads up to those who want to install leveling kits to raise their skid plates up off the rocks and then have it end up at the same height that it was to begin with! Trimming the skid plate and not installing the skid plate spacers might avoid this dilemma but some folks are hesitant to do so on a brand new truck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does anyone have a factory part number for a gas tank skid plate? That tank looks aweful vulnerable under there.
Yeah, it's 77606-0C040 and lists for $458.62. Plus tax, and not sure it includes the mounting hardware so check first.

Will.

·
Registered
516 Posts

has anyone seen an aftermarket skid plate that is thicker than stock as well as protects the fuel tank?

:tu:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts