Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've owned a 4WD truck. My past couple of vehicles were all-wheel drive.

Just wondering, when is it best to use the 4H setting? Do you use it when driving in heavy rain or snow?

I've read some posts regarding brakes burning up and stuff due to the ALSD? I must admit, I don't really understand what this does.

I'm just trying to understand if it's okay to drive in 4WD in rain and snow, not just offroad.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I use 4WH when the roads are snow covered but not in the rain. You need some amount of slip between the wheels and the road to use 4WD without putting stress on your vehicle.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've owned a 4WD truck. My past couple of vehicles were all-wheel drive.

Just wondering, when is it best to use the 4H setting? Do you use it when driving in heavy rain or snow?

I've read some posts regarding brakes burning up and stuff due to the ALSD? I must admit, I don't really understand what this does.

I'm just trying to understand if it's okay to drive in 4WD in rain and snow, not just offroad.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Yes! By all means, it's fine to drive in rain and snow. Really, when driving in 4WD you want to be in a scenario where there is wheel-slippage. If you were to go on dry pavement or lightly wet roads, you can do some damage to your tranny in the long run.
My rule of thumb for 4WD is...
snow=use it when there is snow/ice where you tread. On Take-off.
Rain= On take-off (stop light/sign)...no real need at cruising speed in the rain unless you are on a windy road or any other situation where you feel compromised control...but you should be driving reasonably in the rain anyway.
grass= almost always, so as not to tear up turf with rear wheels...grass is slippery as hell...until you get to the dirt
mud/dirt= almost always unless it's a hard-packed fire road and I'm driving sane.
Obstacles= when I want to drive over curbs, parking chocks, medians, cats, etc. I like to be in 4wd so that all 4 wheel can help move the truck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ggwoody, is that 4WH, or 4WL on cats? :D

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Ggwoody, is that 4WH, or 4WL on cats? :D
I prefer 4 Hi because you still need some speed in order to get them at the right angle. Granted, 4-lo would give you some nice torque carnage under a front wheel.:devil: :devil: :devil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts