Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put the truck in 4lo (5.7) for the first time the other day and it kept beeping.
I've always hated the new technology involved in these things. I'm a true 4x4 guy that wants a manually shifting tranfer case with a true neutral as opposed to the electronic gadgetry.
So I read the manual, thinking I must be stupid. Come to a stop, put the truck in neutral and turn the dial into 4lo. It said it could take a little distance for it to engage. Felt the sluggishness with standard 4lo, felt the resistance when I turn so it felt like it was engaged, but it kept beeping and the light kept blinking. Drove it for 3/10th of a mile and it still kept beeping. I can't imagine it would take further than a truck length for it to engage and tunr off the beeping/blinking.
Anyone had this same problem? What was the fix? Called the stealership to schedule a check on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you go straight to 4lo from 2hi? If you did, try to engage 4hi first and make sure all the lights stop flashing then stop and put it in neutral and switch to 4lo. Mine doesn't beep when in 4lo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
beeping means no 4 lo, switch to 4h in neutral with brake on, then repeat to 4lo, if this dont work roll truck ahead and retry.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
i have used 4-lo often when off-roading on jeep trails. beeping means it did not engage. it only happened once to me. i have found coming to a complete stop, shifting to neutral, waiting a second or two and then turn the dial to 4-lo.

i am generally in 4-high or 4-lo before i need it ... just the way the old-timers taught me to drive on nastier trails.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
If it beeps, you're likely still in 4HI, which is adequate to almost all 4WD needed situations. Switch back to 4HI, ry to drive with it in 4HI for a bit, then switch to 4LO. I have been stuck in 4HI and then switched to 4LO (with transmission in N) and it takes a few seconds before you should be able to just drive it.
Take it someplace sandy and practice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this might be a stupid question but why do they call it "on the fly" 4WD if you have to stop, put it in N and then switch? again this might be a stupid question.....this is my first 4WD and i just bought it, i haven't tested mine yet but am waiting for tahoe to start filling up with snow so i can!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
this might be a stupid question but why do they call it "on the fly" 4WD if you have to stop, put it in N and then switch? again this might be a stupid question.....this is my first 4WD and i just bought it, i haven't tested mine yet but am waiting for tahoe to start filling up with snow so i can!
The 4WD is switch on the fly, however only 4Lo requires you to stop and put it in Neutral to switch into that. :) 4Hi can be activated at any speed below 62MPH on the go. No need to stop and switch to 4Hi while driving under 62MPH.

Sanosuke!

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
4hi is on the fly, I've been able to switch mine in at speeds up to around 60 mph.
4lo is not "on the fly", if it was your transfer case would grenade because of the gearing. So there are safety conditions that must be met before it will switch in, preventing damage to the components.

Like it's been said, when you need to switch to 4lo, you must 1st be in 4hi, then stop, put it in neutral keeping your foot on the brake and switch to 4lo, wait for everything to engage and the 4lo indicator light to go solid, then continue on your merry way, now ready to climb a tree.:thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
thanks.....that's good to know. i'm pretty sure i would cry my self to sleep for years if i blew my new baby up!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
The 4WD is switch on the fly, however only 4Lo requires you to stop and put it in Neutral to switch into that. :) 4Hi can be activated at any speed below 62MPH on the go. No need to stop and switch to 4Hi while driving under 62MPH.

Sanosuke!
4hi is on the fly, I've been able to switch mine in at speeds up to around 60 mph.
4lo is not "on the fly", if it was your transfer case would grenade because of the gearing. So there are safety conditions that must be met before it will switch in, preventing damage to the components.

Like it's been said, when you need to switch to 4lo, you must 1st be in 4hi, then stop, put it in neutral keeping your foot on the brake and switch to 4lo, wait for everything to engage and the 4lo indicator light to go solid, then continue on your merry way, now ready to climb a tree.:thumb:
I don't know much about 4wd, so under what conditions would you need 4hi at speeds as high as 60mph?

-ARMANDO

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don't know much about 4wd, so under what conditions would you need 4hi at speeds as high as 60mph?

-ARMANDO
I think you're misreading that. It means you can engage (the actual process of engaging) 4hi at speeds up to 62mph, not that you are limited to 62 mph.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
-ARMANDO
SNOW. You know, the white stuff!!
I think you're misreading that. It means you can engage (the actual process of engaging) 4hi at speeds up to 62mph, not that you are limited to 62 mph.
Yes snow and dirt roads.
And yes, sometimes once 4hi is engaged, I go faster than 60mph.:becky:

·
Registered
444 Posts
So, would you use 4lo for say pulling a boat out of the water up a ramp?
I use 4HI in that situation. If it does not do the job then go to 4LO.

In general, that is a good rule to follow. 2WD first, then 4HI, then 4LO to get you out of a situation you'd rather not be in. Then next time you'll know what to use and can skip the order for the known job at hand.

An experienced off-roader once told me that 4WD is used to get you out of the mess that 2WD got you in. It could be expanded to state that 4LO is to get you out of the problem that 4HI got you into.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes snow and dirt roads.
And yes, sometimes once 4hi is engaged, I go faster than 60mph.:becky:
And by this I am sure he means that you are only limited to 62mph or below for SHIFTING INTO 4wd hi. Once in 4wd hi you are not limited to 62mph, you can excide that speed to the extent permited by terrain (or your nerve)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I use 4HI in that situation. If it does not do the job then go to 4LO.

In general, that is a good rule to follow. 2WD first, then 4HI, then 4LO to get you out of a situation you'd rather not be in. Then next time you'll know what to use and can skip the order for the known job at hand.

An experienced off-roader once told me that 4WD is used to get you out of the mess that 2WD got you in. It could be expanded to state that 4LO is to get you out of the problem that 4HI got you into.
Very good rule of thumb :tu:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gotta engage 4 hi first. Once you get the hang of that system it does ok. Like many others here I do miss my levers, though. The electronic stuff has no "feel" to it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts