Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why there would be a difference in headers from 4WD vs 2WD? I have an 00 Tundra AC 4x4 v8. Getting the new frame and would like to replace the manifolds at the same time. I like the Gibsons (603) line, but they say not available for 4wd? Not sure what the difference would be. I also like the price of the Pacesetters Armour Coated shorty's, but do not know how well they are made. Anyone install these and can vouch for them? I would like to get something with a lifetime warranty and so far only have found Gibson offers that. I'm open to other suggestions of good quality OE replacement headers. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I had JBA's on my 2000 SR5 2wd and JBA's now on my 2005 4wd, same part number...very good quality a ***** to put on. Maybe easier if the frame is off. good luck, CSM-H

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Ya - I have some JBA stainless headers lined up if I can't confirm the Gibson's will work on the 4wd.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
It doesn't matter. The 4WD system is below the oil pan, the only difference 2WD/4WD is how you reach some of the bolts. Most likely, the manufacturer only tested the install on a 2WD, and wasn't sure if they'd fit, so they only list the application for 2WD.

The *only* reason I can think of, where it would matter, would be if the manufacturer included cats and y-pipe and hadn't considered the transfer case and front driveshaft in their design. Shorty headers, it doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. I finally just called Gibson. They said they work fine on both 2 and 4. They just haven't tested them on the 4. I am gonna go with JBA's simply cuz everyone on here seems to us em and have no problem. I am also gonna order Magnaflow bolt on replacement Cat pipes. Hope I don't get any of the engine codes that other people have experienced on here. My Cats are still OK, but pipes are almost rusted through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts