Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Limited 4wd black access cab Tundra with a little under 100K miles. All the other years I have been real faithful about turning on the 4wd every month or every few weeks all year long even if I didn't need to use it right then. Well, this year I managed to forget about doing that all summer, and didn't get out on any trails with it either. When I realized it had been a while since I had used the 4wd I got on some gravel and went to light it up, low and behold the dreaded blinking light.

I had just gotten word from the mechanic that I needed a new read seal and a rear brake job (the seal spilled out all over the brakes) as well as a new axel on the left front side (again grease everywhere since that too had busted) so I wasn't in the mood for any more expenses and there were winter storms predicted on the horizon. I also knew it was about time for new tires, so this was about the final straw.

Honestly I kept thinking I'd just get down there and give it a whack and hope for the best. I called my older brother and he said to bring it over and we'd look at it together. He crawled up under the front end and we turned the key so that the power came up, but stopped before it actually cranked the engine. I pushed the 4wd button in and out and he listened as he located the two actuators under the front end. One was making a nice little whirling sound, but the other was completely silent. I told my brother to give it a beating for not doing its job, and he laughed, knowing I was frustrated by this new problem. We researched online for a bit and sure enough someone out there in cyberspace said they had fixed that problem by giving the actuator at fault a few good whacks. I figured if its already broken we weren't going to break it more whacking it a few times, so why not try it, especially since that's what I wanted to do every since that 4wd light had the nerve to blink at me to begin with. Sure enough half a dozen good hits with a 9 oz hammer and the light quit blinking!

That was back in late November and its been working like a dream ever since. It also gets used whenever I go out to a local farm to make sure we keep those nice little circuts from getting any corosion.

I just wanted to post this in case anyone else found themselves in the same situation. Those actuators run over $350 at most places, then there's the labor if, like me, that is beyond your comfort zone as a diy project.

Happy New Year Everyone!

·
Registered
477 Posts
When mine was stuck I just kept pressing the button hoping it would work finally I pulled over pressed the button floored it in drive then reverse and clunk It engaged. I think the flooring it in reverse helped. Ive noticed anytime it dont wanna engage going forward always try backwards becuase it always seems to work for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts