Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had about a foot of snow yesterday so I switched from 4WD High (I'm always in 4WD to get to our house, even in good weather) to 4WD Low to go down the mountain. But whenever I tried to shift the truck into any gear besides P or N I'd get a terrible whirling sound that my brain translated as "Stop what you're doing!" After a few minutes of waiting I tried again and the truck went into 4WD Low. While the truck drove normally, the 4WD light on the button and the dash continued to flash.

Now the truck won't come out of 4WD Low. Whenever I push the dash button (either one) I get the full beeping/flashing thing as if I was trying to shift into 4WD Low incorrectly.

I have a 2000 Tundra Limited with about 111k on it - always had the scheduled maintenance done, nothing major ever repaired or upgraded.

Having spent an hour or so searching the forums I've seen lots of great stuff on getting the 4WD system to engage but not much on getting the truck out of 4WD. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
You could have a bad actuator at the transfer case or a bad solenoid. I currently have an issue with not being able to get into 4WD Low. 4WD high seems fine. There's a way you can check the ADD acuator and the solenoid if you have one of those electronic ohm/volt/amp meters. Otherwise, if your only option is the dealer, have them check.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Alright, so this is a dumb question, but: I assume you are sitting still (wheels not moving or spinning at all), with the engine idling and the truck in NEUTRAL when you press the button on the dash, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi MrBeanley, I don't think its a dumb question at all. The answer is I've tried it sitting still, moving straight (both forward and backward) and while turning. Since my original post I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and vacuum hoses to the actuators to no effect.

Thanks for yours and dyogim's responses.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I recall reading a post from a Toyota tech who said at the dealership they back up with the wheel at full lock in one direction or the other, I forget which but try one then the other I guess, for a few feet and then it will release. Hope this helps. Good luck. I would think you should do this in dirt as to not bind your drive trane and possibly break something.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
I think I remember a post or two on here about the acutator mechanism on the T/C needing a gentle whack with a mallet if this happens.....That would be nice if that's all it takes or the back up with the full lock.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, just tried the whack-an-acuator approach - no go though. Also did the "backing up while turning on dry pavement" trick I read about on another thread without success.

Called Pederson Toyota in Fort Collins where I bought the truck and talked with a technician. Unfortunately you guys had already suggested the stuff he said to try. The repair pictures he painted range from a couple of shop hours to an actuator replacement with a T/C rebuild.

The suddenness of the failure is puzzling to me.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks nytrousboy, I plan of pulling the covers and taking a look. But I can now do that when I'm not having to crawl in the mud and snow.

Yep, I drove in 4WD Low for 12 miles (coasted 6 of them as I loose about 2k feet elevation going into town) with my blinkers on, planning to leave the truck at a trusted shop. They'd already closed for the day but just before I dropped the key in the drop-off slot I thought I'd try mytrundrarocks' suggestion again. Shockingly, the little indicator lights did their thing the way they're supposed to. So I drove to a big empty parking lot and put the drive system through its paces over and over again without a problem. I could hear the system engaging and the feedback though the steering and accelerator so I know it's working.

Thanks to everyone. I'm a lurker here and have learned much from you guys over the years. Usually a search or two is all I need to find an answer. I really appreciate all the responses today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts