Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO this is the first 4wd I have owned. I am switching the stock axles out for T100 axles for the long travel. I successfully took apart the axle and thought hey lets clean them up and put new grease and all that. So I disassembled the outer CV. Well now I notice that the Inner race has a groove for the snap ring to lock into. Should that groove for the snap ring be on the outer most part of the axle towards the wheel to lock the axle in place once installed or should it be on the inner most part of the CV to help get the axle with the c clip started and then the axle sticks out far enough on the other side to lock it on?

I know I should have took pictures or made a note or payed attention more but I didn't and I have searched all over the net lookign for the answer. I have seen many pictures but nothing that tells me. I am ASSuming it goes ohn the outer most part to lock the axle in place but would like to find out for sure before I put everythign back together jusdt to find out it is wrong.

I am told to re assemble these I put the snap ring on the axle then it goes into the race and locks it all back together. Does that sound correct?

ANY help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That's correct, snap ring on axle, axle+ring in to the outer CV.

I'm more curious how you got the axle OUT of the outer CV...usually that takes a press, a grinder, or something equally destructive. Only time I've ever got the axle out of the outer CV was when it wasn't properly installed in the first place.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am taking the other side apart to see which direction the inner race goes. Hopefully I will not need to remove the axle from the cv to tell since this one already has the T100 axle in it.

To get the axle out of the CV I asked a few mechanic friends who A) Own shops and B) install long travel suspension, so they have done alot and the answer was to put the axle in my vise then hit the CV with a BFH. This pushes the inner snap ring off or breaks it. Took a few good hits but it worked and now I am putting the new longer axles back in and back together. Wasn't to hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts