Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
my 4wd isnt working once again, but this time the light is lit up solid and everything appears normal. But I can definatly tell its not in 4hi.
Any thoughts on what it could be???

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys,
my 4wd isnt working once again, but this time the light is lit up solid and everything appears normal. But I can definatly tell its not in 4hi.
Any thoughts on what it could be???
:( Keep me posted and I'll keep you posted. My 2005 4wd has been failing for almost two years. I've been trying to be patient. Toyota has a "special" technician checking it out this week. Part of the problem has been the mechanics at my service saying on a couple of occasions that it was working...then I'd take it out on farm roads and get stuck. The last time I had it out on a flat farm road I got stuck w/brand new Bridgestone REVOS. I had a buddy checking it out the whole time. At no point while using 4w-HI and 4w-LO did either front tire spin. Luckily, I had a witness and cell phone pics.

I actually went to arbitration :( (very frustrated at this point and very disappointed Toyota didn't just except their responsibility and agree to replace the transmission or give me a new truck or something...I've missed an awful lot of outdoor recreation over the past two years and I only expect to keep the truck 10-15 years...2 years is a big percentage of that total time).

Anyway, sometimes I wish Toyota was still totally based in Japan, at least the corporate ethos...it was the old Toyota that got all of us to be Toyota fans.

I hope your experience is better then mine. I'll give you and update after my next "check up"....

Also, does anyone know of a fool proof way to see if the 4wd is truly working, besides putting it on a rack or listening for "a click" in the 4x4 actuator? I suspect the truck goes into 4wd, but with real resistance, baring its weights, it doesn't "lock-in" at least one of the front wheels.

:mad: The truck actually started to slide off the side of a road where we took the kids to sled. Scared my wife to death, she thought we were going over the side with the kids in the truck. We didn't. All the other 4wd had no problem on the road, it was a Regional Park, well maintained roads, and a designated parking area...but my truck started to slide and almost went over the edge...all because the 4x4 system has yet to be fixed. Good Luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also, does anyone know of a fool proof way to see if the 4wd is truly working, besides putting it on a rack or listening for "a click" in the 4x4 actuator? I suspect the truck goes into 4wd, but with real resistance, baring its weights, it doesn't "lock-in" at least one of the front wheels.
You could try disconnecting the rear driveshaft at the back of the transmission and tie it up to the frame somewhere... that way if the truck moves forward in 4wd you'll know damn well that it wasn't the rear wheels that moved it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts