Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Crewmax 4wd with lots of flashing lights. :confused: 4hi 4lo and vsc lights flashing. ABS and traction control light on. 4wd will not engage, no anti lock brakes, and no traction control. This happened while driving on wet/icy road in 2wd. I stopped the truck and turned off. Started back up and same thing. Possible wheel sensor wiring harness? Anything else I should check? Thanks in advance!:ts:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started my 08 crewmax the other day and all the same lights flashing including engine light. The 4wheel drive system not working or the speedometer. It is currently in the shop and Dealer says it's the speed sensor. Good thing it's under warranty since they quoted around $2850.00
Hopefully they are correct and the issue is fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiring harness connection

I went outside tonight and started checking things out. I think the problem is in the wiring harness by the brake pedal. I unplugged it and sprayed some CRC electronic contact cleaner on it and plugged back in. All lights went off except the ABS. It turned off after driving 75 feet or so. However, when I went to park it for the night in the garage all the lights came back on. I messed with it a little more and think I'm not getting enough contact on the pins or the white brake pedal sensor is bad. Does anybody know what this sensor controls? When you step on the brake it releases the plunger on the sensor.:ts:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
What you are pointing to is the brake switch. Among other things it turns your brake lights on when you depress the pedal. I'm not so sure that explains all the problems.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
You should check to see if you have properly functioning brake lights the next time it happens. If the switch is intermittent, it can set codes in the ECM and will at minimum affect the ABS, trac and ESC - not sure why 4wd would be affected, but may tie into the same system to work properly ????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Dealer says bad wheel speed sensor so far. "It had a broken wire with corrosion. I don't know how that would have happened." they said on the phone. Waiting on the sensor to see if this fixes everything. If wires are breaking @ 15,000 mi/9mo then what will we run into @ 100,000 mi. The only problems I had with my 2000 tundra was a 4wd actuator and cracked exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing happen. There is a TSB on this issue. I don't know the number. They changed the ABS actuator and a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still waiting on backordered parts. May come in on the 19th. Anybody have details on the wheel speed sensor TSB?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this same issue. Lights lit up for no reason. Here's my story. summer of 2016 driving down the highway dash lit up like a christmas tree. Anti skid, 4hi/4lo ABS. Can't remember which ones were flashing but during this whole experience sometime it would be just 4hi sometimes flashing sometimes not so I don't really think it matters. I think it is just telling you that there is an issue and it doesn't quite know how to speak to you properly. Any way driving down the highway all these lights come on and i have no 4 wheel drive, no anti locks which is fine cuz it's summer but i take it to the shop anyway. Mechanic tell me front speed sensor. speed sensor is 190 bucks and 175 to install which is retarded because it takes friggin 10 minutes to install but i have em change it anyway. Lights go off ........for awhile. they come back on in October. I live in upstate N.Y. and need 4x4. Take it back to the shop and they tell me rear speed sensor. I change that one myself cuz im not paying almost 200 bucks for a 10 minute job. Lights still on. Take it to a different shop. they say no clue take it to the Toyota stealership. So I do they say rear speed sensor. Tell em no way it's brand new. They clean it off and put it back in and clear the codes. Tell me if it comes on again the bearing will have to be changed. Month later, guess what? Yep! they came back on. Take it to Toyota and they say to change the rear bearing. I did, not a fun job by any means and not cheap either but cheaper than what they were gonna charge me ($800). No luck lights still on. So I email Toyota directly. Tell them I'm gonna file a complaint on the NTHSB website because now its a safety issue. It's winter time I have no 4x4 no anti skid no abs. They call me! say they gonna send a field tech out to see the truck at the dealer. They look it over and tell me the front speed sensor is no good and the wiring harness has a broken pin in it. I fix both of them and I'm good now. I guess what i'm trying to say is these speed sensors on eache tire are kinda in a crappy spot. This is a big 4 wheel drive truck and the wires are exposed and these little plastic speed sensors are kinda fragile. Always check the wires and make sure they are all good. DO NOT TAKE TO THE SHOP TO HAVE THEM CHANGE THE SPEED SENSOR. IT'S LITERALLY ONE BOLT AND PULL IT OUT AND UNPLUG IT. Takes longer to jack the truck up and take the tire off than to change a speed sensor. Right front and left rear are the same and left front and right rear are the same speed sensors. They are different. GOOD LUCK. most likely a speed sensor but you gotta take it to a shop to find out which one. And if they tell you which one check the wires and harness before you actually change it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts