Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure that we all read the nice little card on Tundra's 4x4 that tells first timers how to engage, dissengage, top speed, moving engagment and all that but just for fun, what do you guys think the top speed is while in 4x4 and what's the fastest you've gone? i did 58 through a mudhole myself and had no hick-ups

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow, 58 in 4x4? You're braver than I. If I have to be in 4 wheel mode I sure won't be going anywhere near 50. If the road is bad enough for 4x4 then I can't see hauling azz on it. Over 40 I disengage.

Mechanically the truck would probably be fine but your milage would really stink.

·
Registered
655 Posts
iv done 65 on an icy highway,i had no problems at all,but 65 is max for me.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I've done 80 in an open dirt road at an offroad park. There was no other vehicles around and I had no issues. You can go as fast as you want in 4WD. The engagment of 4WD is what's limited.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
4WD is limited to engagement below 55mph. I think you can disengage above that, but I don't remember...I drop down to 55 on the dial to make changes, which is actually 50 in my truck...kind of a pain, actually.

I use it regularly at various speeds on I70 during snowboarding season.

Fastest I've had it is mid 90s, on a long, straight, wide, snowpacked section of the Al-Can, on studded Nokians.

Yes, mileage suffers.

-Sean

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's nuts devinsixtyseven!!!! those tires must slings chunks of snow and ice!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That's nuts devinsixtyseven!!!! those tires must slings chunks of snow and ice!!!!
Not at all, they're very civilized tires...wish they came in a larger size, I'd run them in a heartbeat. Downright confidence inspiring, and likely saved our bacon later on the trip (I was not hauling *** at the time), when we came around a VERY sharp turn on snow and ice, in the dark, on the edge of a gorge, with no guardrail.

Nokian, are you listening? I want a studded 37". Or at least a studded 35".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts