Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
2x4 is better! With gas prices going up I wish I had a 2x4 and my truck insurance would have been cheaper as well!!!

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Depends if your actually gonna use the 4x4...If you are not, a 4x2 would do just fine....Are you gonna lift it and put bigger tires on it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
2x4 is better! With gas prices going up I wish I had a 2x4 and my truck insurance would have been cheaper as well!!!

It depends on needs versus wants. Did I need a 4x4....nope. Did I want a 4x4.....yep. I think it depends on your life style, hobbies, location, etc.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Dbarnett here.

If you want 4x4 buy it. If you don't need it, but can afford it, and want to buy it.... buy it.

If you don't need it, can't afford it, then don't buy it.

I have 4x4 and it's as simple as this... I would have looked silly having to back down down this steep hill that two of my friends have slid down in previous winters b/c I couldn't get up it in 2wd. Yet, I pop it into 4hi and go rigt up with a little wheel spin.

-rockstate

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
I learned this weekend at the MB meet... I miss having a 4X4!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that if you are even contemplating this decision then go ahead and get the 4x4 you will regret it later if you don't.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
My last truck didn't have 4x4. I was pulling a trailer out of a drive, my rear axle hit the little ditch, just enough to not get a grip, and the trailer held me up a little to high off the ground. it was a V shaped kind a angle. I soo wish i would have had a 4x4. So, I got a 4x4 now. :)

I now pull through any thing i hit. :) and over if need be. :0

muahahaha

chucky

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
There will be a little difference because of the extra weight for the transfer case and front differential. BS&E's 1 to 2 mpg estimate is probably accurate. It will depend more on how you drive than anything else.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
There are other costs, too: front differential and transfer case oil changes, front drive train repairs and maintenance, faster tire wear due to more front end weight, one less excuse not to go to work on a snowy day. . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currently looking to replace my 4X2 2001 Tundra Limited and had been considering getting a 4X4 CrewMax to replace it with. But when I looked a the additional costs I reconsidered it since I live in Florida and the opportunities to use would be few and far between.

I did hear a rumor that a typical 4X4 will not last as long as a typical 4X2 without costing a considerable amount of money :confused:; can anyone else confirm hearing that or am I just not hearing it right.

Thanks,

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I haven't had a moment yet where i regret not getting 4x4. I have had my truck since 2007 and now that i love it so much i plan to keep it for a long long time. Now that i know that i plan to keep it i regret not spending the extra money for 4x4.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought a 4x4 because my last truck was 2wd and several times I needed a 4x4. I look at it as an insurance and safety feature. While driving on icy condition at 35+mph I put it back in 2wd. The VSC can act faster than me.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Haha! People buy 4x2 trucks.
:D You are so funny!!!! :caked:

For almost 30 years every truck I bought was a 4X4, then I moved down here to the desert, went to buy my new Tundra (2000) I almost slapped 4X4 on the list and then I when "shoot this is the desert son, there's no snow". I don't do the off roading thing. Last two trucks now have been 4X2 :ranger:

:crutch:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I SEE you are in Texas too.

If you don't really need a 4x4, better off with 4x2.

Less moving parts to break.

If you pull on occasion, the 4x2 can do it IN FLAT TERRAIN without a problem.

If you do allot of incline, then 4x4.

Like others have said, consider your application.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Haha! People buy 4x2 trucks.
If you live in Florida and never do serious off-roading a 4x4 just adds costly maintenance, reduced fuel economy, higher insurance premiums and stuff to break. This is my 2nd Tundra(4th truck) and I've never felt the need to own a 4x4. My 4x2 '09 Tundra handles the boat ramps, dirt roads and beach sand just fine like my '06 Tundra. My dad had a 4x2 Ford F-100 (in-line 6 cylinder, 4x2) for 28 years without the need for 4wd. He was a contractor and that was a work truck that never let him down or got stuck in anything. So yes, much to your amusement people actually do buy 4x2 trucks. :tu:

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Isn't this "debate" pretty much like a period?

A monthly, unavoidable, unfortunate occurrence. :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
If I'm ever in a situation pulling my race car where I say to myself "shoulda bought 4x4" it means I really f'd up and shouldn't be in that situation and probably got more problems than needing 4x4.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
33 Participants
cheapskate
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing