Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Would gas mileage on a 4WD Tundra be significantly less than a 2x4 ?
Most guys here seem to agree, it will cost more to operate a 4wd truck compared to a 2wd truck. Both in gas and maintenance down the road. Plus there are more parts in the driveline. That eventually means more parts to service. Do you really need 4wd? Probably not. Most people very rarely use 4wd mode and when you do, that's when they really start to chug the fuel. I deal with snow and ice for 4 months of the year and I rarely "need" to use 4wd mode. I have owned both 2 and 4 wheel drive trucks and on a daily basis, 2wd trucks are a better choice. My current truck is 4wd but I got it used and most of the ones I looked at were all 4wd so I didnt really have a lot of choice. Maybe what you should really be asking yourself is do YOU really need 4wd for what you do? Do you really want it? Those are 2 different questions all together. If it's something you really want, shell out the extra cash and get it. You're the guy that has to drive it every day so make sure you get what you want for the right reasons for you.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
If I'm ever in a situation pulling my race car where I say to myself "shoulda bought 4x4" it means I really f'd up and shouldn't be in that situation and probably got more problems than needing 4x4.
Years ago I was bouncing around in the north woods with my Ram Charger when I came across an old gent, we got to chatting and he says to me during the conversation something to the order "you drive back in the woods using two wheel drive then should you get stuck you use the 4 wheel drive to get you un-stuck, not to drive you further into trouble." , makes sense.

:crutch:

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I have a 4x2 and love it. It has the look of the 4x4, hauls more weight, and I get all of the benefits of less moving parts.

It's nice to know that all of the threads about front diffs exploding, needing oil changes, etc all don't matter to me :)

If I lived in snow, I'd have a 4x4 no questions asked. I have an ATV for my off roading pleasure.

That 3k in my pocket is nice too :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My last truck was a 4x2 and there were many times when 4x4 would have got me out of some sticky situations. I do a lot of wade fishing in Pensacola, Fl where there is a lot of sand to get to my spots. The 4x4 lets me get in and out with ease. I also trailer a 5,000 lb boat and the 4x4 helps when I am on very slippery ramps that are covered in algae. My gas mileage is not too bad compared to the 4x2. I have been avg 15.2 mpg in the city due to my light foot. Good luck with whatever you get!

·
Registered
251 Posts
My choice was easy. Montana - rocky mountainous terrain, mud, ice, snow, and occasional asphalt. :laughing:

·
Registered
113 Posts
when 12" of snow a day dumps up here I'm sure glad I have 4wheel drive

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I guess it is all about what you like to do and where you live. Get the 2wd and a 12,000 pound winch mounted on the front and back...that should help get out of a sticky situation. I have actually been thinking about this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you live in Florida and never do serious off-roading a 4x4 just adds costly maintenance, reduced fuel economy, higher insurance premiums and stuff to break.
4x4 is too useful to not have, does not affect fuel economy in 4x2 mode, does not have higher insurance premiums, and unless you're using it a lot (and actually needing it) isn't going to break.

In order to get any useful fuel economy data, you would need to have the same person drive an identically equipped 4x4 and 4x2 truck over a period of months. Comparisons between different drivers have way too many variables. I get 16/20 in my 4x4, i'm betting there are plenty of drivers on either side of those numbers.

Parts that aren't moving, don't break. If you drive it in 4x4 your 10 miles a month until you need it, it'll likely never break.

Until then, have fun getting stuck on wet grass with a fully open differential.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What's wrong with buying what you need? I didn't buy my truck to be more manly, I'm already OK with where I am on that. It was purpose bought for long highway hauls pulling a racecar. I'm not racing in winter, so I'm not hauling in winter.

If you guys are buying 4x4 to prove your manliness, then I think you're going to need more than the truck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
4x4 is too useful to not have, does not affect fuel economy in 4x2 mode, does not have higher insurance premiums, and unless you're using it a lot (and actually needing it) isn't going to break.

In order to get any useful fuel economy data, you would need to have the same person drive an identically equipped 4x4 and 4x2 truck over a period of months. Comparisons between different drivers have way too many variables. I get 16/20 in my 4x4, i'm betting there are plenty of drivers on either side of those numbers.

Parts that aren't moving, don't break. If you drive it in 4x4 your 10 miles a month until you need it, it'll likely never break.

Until then, have fun getting stuck on wet grass with a fully open differential.
Been riding around and driving in family 4x2 pickup trucks in Florida for 40 years and never been stuck or felt like I even needed a 4x4. Didn't find the 4x4 useful or necessary so I didn't pay the extra money to purchase one. I'm happy with my 4x2 that doesn't get stuck on wet grass.:rolleyes: Obviously a 4x4 is very much necessary in other parts of the country.

I'm glad you like your 4x4. I'm sure it does exactly what you need a truck to do. Perhaps you should enjoy your 4x4 Tundra and let others enjoy their trucks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had 4x4's the last 20 years, but when I saw my 4x2 RCSB on the lot I had to have it. This truck has worked like a dream in the desert and mountains for me - just put on some good tires and point and shoot. I'm old and I grew up in the midwest where nobody but farmers had 4x4. You just make do with what you got.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I'm lost, i live in upper michigan-----what's a 4x2,,,,
real men drive 4x4's
Real mean carry a long rope and then just put it in their teeth and pull the truck out should it get stuck!! :faint:

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "real men" was meant as a joke. Up here, "real men" are the guys that go hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or otherwise find themselves off the pavement for various pursuits.

The "other men" stick to paved streets that have a 5" curb to them, so that they know they're still on the road.

So the same sentiment would apply here, I just wouldn't say it on an internet forum where it could be taken the wrong way. Up here, if you don't have a 4X4 there's a good chance you're playing for the other team :p

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Of course it was meant as a joke... at least I hope so. :rolleyes:

:croc: :D

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
33 Participants
cheapskate
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing