Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
FWIW I do not see a difference in instantaneous mileage readout going from 2 to 4wd on level ground, and I have verifed over 44K miles with every tank the trip computer is accurate. That being said, there is no doubt the extra weight of a 4x4 returns lower mileage, even when running in 2x4 mode.

Bottom line is buy a 4x4 if you can afford it and might need it. All it takes is one time and you'll be glad you have it. Initial reports on the new 4.6 are very good, so that will certainly help take some of the sting out of the mileage.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "real men" was meant as a joke. Up here, "real men" are the guys that go hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or otherwise find themselves off the pavement for various pursuits.

The "other men" stick to paved streets that have a 5" curb to them, so that they know they're still on the road.

So the same sentiment would apply here, I just wouldn't say it on an internet forum where it could be taken the wrong way. Up here, if you don't have a 4X4 there's a good chance you're playing for the other team :p
Real men dont use the "P" word either. What does that say about you? ;)
I've been in your neck of the woods before.............in a 92 Acura Integra 5 spd stick. "Nothin beats a 4x4????" Try that car with a set of Bridgstone Blizzaks. It also out handled, out maneuvred, out accelerated and out stopped just about any 4x4 truck. Parked on the ice on the Lower French in February. Everyone else around me had big ol' 4x4's. Nothin beats traction. Doesnt have to be 4wd to have good traction.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i had 4x4 for 4 years and i never used it. But at least is nice to have it , it's like a spare tire , you never know.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
A story about the 4X4 system and VSC or Traction Control or whatever fancy computer system these trucks have.

Not a "is 2WD with VSC better than 4X4 when driving at 50 MPH?" question, I think that's been answered. (2WD is better)

But where was I?

OK. . Camping way out in the bush, about 50 Miles up a lonely highway and 30 miles in a bush (logging road) and then on a beautiful sandy beach. Big a$$ 5th wheel behind. The sand was damp when I parked, so I didn't get too stuck parking. However after a few dry days, I hooked up again and couldn't pull the trailer off the beach in 2WD. No problem, switch to 4HI. Tires seem to spin a bit, brakes make the clakety noise, no forward movement. 4LO. Each tire would make about 1/2 rotation, then the brake would stop it, and another 1 or 2 tires would take over. It took about 10 minutes of very slow forward crawling like this, but the truck walked that trailer right out of there! I was very impressed with the 4LO system, however it works.

I was happy to have 4X4 that day. It saved me from having to break out the winch:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Something to consider... EVERY 4wd truck or SUV I have owned sold within two weeks after placing the ad...2wd trucks and SUVS; sometimes go for months; I got so tired of waiting with my Expedition I just went ahead and traded it in...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wakin up here in da u.p. To 20 below and 12 inches of new snow realy
eliminates any 4x2's. Did'nt want to offend anyone with my real men humor. Ya need dat kinda humor to live up here , ya know, eh
love my 4x4 rcsb sport but would love to drive a sc 4x2 rcsb if i lived way south, by the way dat 92 acura ain't gonna cut through a drifted
u.p. Driveway

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Something to consider... EVERY 4wd truck or SUV I have owned sold within two weeks after placing the ad...2wd trucks and SUVS; sometimes go for months; I got so tired of waiting with my Expedition I just went ahead and traded it in...
That is sort of a regional thing, around here 4X2s sell pretty good, when I lived in MN if it wasn't 4X4 like you said it would sit for some time before selling.

:crutch:

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is sort of a regional thing, around here 4X2s sell pretty good, when I lived in MN if it wasn't 4X4 like you said it would sit for some time before selling.

:crutch:
Good point - But I can tell you from personal experience over 20 years and aproximately 25 trucks/suvs in TX & CA 4x4's pay back with dividends when it comes time to dispose of...NOT necessarily trade-in...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I seldom use my 4x4 capability. Some late season deer hunting that 2wd can mostly get me through and boat towing that is 99.99% 2wd.
But 4wd is like a gun. You dont need it most of the time, but when you do need it, you need it BAD.
There are times when 4wd have saved my bacon. like pulling the boat out at low tide on a slippery boat ramp or after a gully washer when I am 15 miles down a dirt trail in November.

·
Registered
251 Posts
^^^

This is more what I was thinking. There are very few applications where a 4x2 truck is objectively better than a 4x4. Towing a TT near the weight limit of the vehicle on highways is one. A lowered sport truck is another. Commercial work trucks can be 4x2 and be just fine, towing or hauling near to max load mostly on pavement again.

Other uses where 4x2 is "better" really beg the question "do you even NEED a truck?" Since you all seem to not want 4x4 because you don't NEED it.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I seldom use my 4x4 capability. Some late season deer hunting that 2wd can mostly get me through and boat towing that is 99.99% 2wd.
But 4wd is like a gun. You dont need it most of the time, but when you do need it, you need it BAD.
There are times when 4wd have saved my bacon. like pulling the boat out at low tide on a slippery boat ramp or after a gully washer when I am 15 miles down a dirt trail in November.
That's why I have 4X4. I don't use it all that often, but when I do, it usually saves me a HUGE hassle. Points sent :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess it is all about what you like to do and where you live. Get the 2wd and a 12,000 pound winch mounted on the front and back...that should help get out of a sticky situation. I have actually been thinking about this.
That's an idea.
I bought my Tundra when I still lived in Florida...its a 2x4 but I think I'll be ok in South Carolina.
My next Tundra will be a 4x4. I guess adding weight is a great idea.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That's an idea.
I bought my Tundra when I still lived in Florida...its a 2x4 but I think I'll be ok in South Carolina.
My next Tundra will be a 4x4. I guess adding weight is a great idea.
You're in about the best situation possible to see what your true needs vs wants are. You already have a 2wd so if you drive it through every season at least once you will know for sure if its necessary or not for you.
Debates like this thread go on forever because there's no real right or wrong answer when everyone has different needs and wants.
Welcome to the site by the way.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
33 Participants
cheapskate
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing