Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
i used to have an 07 4x4 5.7 but i never pulled anything bigger than a mid sized uhaul trailer with it for about two hours. so i have no idea other than what i have read that the tundra will pull a good amount of weight. the dealer keeps telling me 10k pounds is totally do able behind a tundra.

im trading my current suv in this week and i cant figure out what i should do. i will be pulling a fairly modded jeep anywhere from two hours to seven or eight hours away. will be towing this jeep 7 or 8 weekends over the spring and summer months. maybe more.

i sold my old trailer and am looking for a new one to use. the big question is get the 4x4 which is more money or get the 4x2 for less? should i just spend the money now in hopes i will use the 4 wheel drive system down the road? one dealer told me that just for towing the 4x2 is better. any advice?

thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Get whatever you want. The 4x4 is slightly heavier, so the payload theoritically would be a hundred pounds less. If you don't need the 4x4, get the 2wd. If you need 4x4, get the 4wd.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was looking for more technical information actually. what i want? i want a loaded crew max 4x4, a 6" lift and a free sc. ain't gonna happen. well the wife did say i could leave and i could do whatever i wanted lol.

i only have budget for a dbl cab, 5.7 with a few options. i have two heavily modded jeeps so if i want 4wd i get in one of them. i don't hunt so i wont be taking a 30k truck into the woods. i don't have a boat to trailer although i want one but that wont be anytime soon. is there an advantage of 4x2 for just primary towing? anyone get a 4x2 and wish they had just gotten the 4x4 or the other way around. longevity of the 5.7 motor for towing the amount if specified above?

all my friends that trailer their jeeps have diesel trucks and are trying to sway me that way. but with my budget im looking at 40-60k miles on those trucks and i have zero knowledge of diesel motors. i just cant justify a diesel truck for everyday driving for the amount i will tow. make sense?

thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Altough I've owned mostly 4x4's, and no Tundra's, a properly equipped 2x4 will always out tow a 4x4, plus it will ride better. Basically it comes down to whether or not you need a 4x4.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My first Tundra was 4x2 and I wish I had a 4x4. My second Tundra is a 4x4 and I'm glad I spent the extra because I use it here in Ohio. I've needed it for towing as well, backing into a grassy campsite. I would never own a 4x2 truck or SUV anymore. Although I don't need it much, it's better to have it and not need than not have it and need it.

But that's me. If it meant getting a truck now without 4x4 or not getting one, I'd make the adjustment. I'd rather have a 4x2 Tundra than nothing.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i highly doubt that the truck will ever see anything other than pavement but i will just see what the dealer can do. have to contact them tomorrow, see if they can get the 4x4 price closer to the 4x2. right now they are at 27899 for a double cab, 4x2, SR5, cold weather, deck rail, alloys, and a couple of other things. msrp was 32284, invoice was 30032 so it seems like a good deal.

the other problem im running into is finding anything other than henry ford's favorite color. my choices are black/black, black/graphite and white/graphite lol. and nothing is non flex fuel.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you are towing a boat and possibly pulling up a wet ramp, or taking a travel trailer on extended vacations and possibly need to pull out of a wet and muddy campsite, you might want the 4X4. I don't anticipate taking my $30K truck offroading other than the beach in North Carolina, but we get enough snow to justify 4X4 up here, and then there is always the unknown.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have no toys to haul other than the jeeps. if i take just one winter jeep trip from NC to PA i might just wish i had four wheel drive. thanks for the info. and i like that people in NC think that 6" of snow is a blizzard lol. i live in the Winston area and im from Massachusetts i was hoping for several feet.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
It sounds like you need a 4x2. If your not going off road or pulling a boat up a wet ramp or deal with a huge amount of snow then save yourself some coin and get the 4x2. Not only will you save money up front but every time you drive it seeing as the 4x2 is lighter and will use less gas as well as require less maintenance. I also lived in Massachusetts and while there were occasions when I would have liked 4x4 I never got stuck.
Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it really depends, if you are in a warm weather climate and you dont get snow then dont worry about the 4x4, but if you get snow i would pay the extra and get the 4x4. i wasnt sure when i got my tundra, but ended up getting it since i am driving through the mountains from MD to OH and i have used the 4x4 tons in the snow. really its up to you but if you think you will be off road or in snow, get it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think im going to just get the 4x4. thanks for all the input. i also might have more funding than i thought. depending on the rate i get and i spoke with the bank of ameriwife this eve. she told me if i sold my XJ project i could put that into a crew max, which i have always wanted a 4x4 cm. im tall and my friends are fat beer brewers like me lol. this opens another question. towing with a crew max vs a double cab and the longer bed?

my friends that all trailer their jeeps all have long bed fords, dodges and tell me that they don't like pulling with short bed trucks. so anyone have input for or against pulling with a crew max?

thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The wheelbase on a CrewMax is the same as the Double Cab (regular bed), so there would be no difference in towing between the two. You just lose bed space witht he CM. That might matter to you, it might not. I got a DC because I wanted the bed space, but now I wish I had gotten a CM for the interior space. I pull a 33ft travel trailer.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got ya. thanks for the info. with the texas plant shut down i better .... or get off the pot. i will end up with nothing at this rate lol. just wish i knew what the incentives for next month were going to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts