Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get better than 12 mpg about town and 14-15 with some highway mixed in. My 2010 dbl cab is stock. I just don't see how anyone is getting 14/19 mpg. So I'm wondering if it's the 4x4 aspect, extra weight an all.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I can't seem to get better than 12 mpg about town and 14-15 with some highway mixed in. My 2010 dbl cab is stock. I just don't see how anyone is getting 14/19 mpg. So I'm wondering if it's the 4x4 aspect, extra weight an all.
very very few people get what the window sticker says. thats all in weird fake situations and stuff. u are getting what is just about right for your truck. small motor or big they all gonna get truck mileage. heck my 4.7 2wd avgs 13.5 or so with prob half city half hwy. if i reset the thing and figure soley hwy mileage on a trip i can pull 18ish but thats only on the hwy only. as soon as i pull off it goes way way down. so...you are getting what you are going to get...its funny all these mpg threads as if someone bought a truck like this and it was even remotely a concern....hahha

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 4X4 CM w/5.7 gets high 12's in the city and high 15's on the highway (+/-70 mph av). This is about the mileage that I expected to get, so I am happy. The readings I quoted above are mostly for a full tank of gas with a reset of my average MPG on the fillup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My '10 CM 4x4 is averaging 16.8mpg on the Hwy's in E.Sierras (4K-8.5K elevations) at about 75mph averages (not easy to be slow with a 5.7 so far). This is a hand calculated number as i dont trust my computer yet, also only 3 tanks so far. I'm pretty satisfied with that and am sure i could get it to 19mpg if i wasnt so R footed! Time will tell.

BTW- computer was giving me about 1mpg better reading than actual.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I usually get 14.2 mixed and maybe 19 on the interstate. I do 75+ MPH though.

It definitely doesn't sip the gas, but its a truck.. I wasn't expecting it to.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Im getting around 14 mixed and 17/18 highway depending on the right foot. It generally is on the 17 side !

·
Registered
918 Posts
Question number 1: What kind of driver are you?

I managed 18.7 on an extended highway trip in my 09 Crewmax 4x4 5.7 on a long highway trip with the cruise set around 60 mph. Never driven like that since and it doesn't get alot of extended highway time so it's normally around 14 mpg mixed.

These trucks are capable of surprisingly good mileage when driven in a manner that most people do not wish to drive.

I may have to start keeping a running tally of how many of these threads pop up. Sheesh... I post one new thread on the gas pedal issue and people jump on my back because there already is one. At least a few new threads per day pop up asking why gas mileage on a 6000 pound V8 half ton is so low and we indulge them all. Could it be time for an end-all, be-all, 'post your mileage' thread?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am getting about 7 to 10 in town but 17 to 19 on the highway

Love this truck

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I don't keep track of mileage separately, just let the truck do it. My mileage on the display is upper 16's in the winter to upper 17's in the summer. The difference is mostly idling time while defrosting the windshield.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: another mpg thread, I wanted one specific to 4x4's because obviously, they are heavier than 2WD. At first I managed 14 on my commute home (5 miles through city and residential streets), but since I haven't been able to reproduce that, no matter how soft I am on the pedal.

Yesterday, I took a trip up to the local mountains, cruised a lot in 4-hi (snow) doing 30-40 mph, and of course the trip out of the mountains helped to boost it back up. I ended up with about 15.5 mpg for the trip. On the highway runs I was doing 70 with the cruise control on for the most part.

If I hadn't seen all these people claiming 14/19 in real life I would have expected what I'm getting. I just don't see how anyone is getting 14 city unless they only drive downhill and never have to stop.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
A lot of that depends on what city. If you are in a large city, I don't think you will see much better than 14. 19 hihhway is very good. I can only usually average 19 with cruise set at 54mph. Any higher and mileage goes down. And if I am at 75mph, mileage drops to 15-16 for me.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
For me I get around 13.5 mixed in my Crewmax 4X4 running 35" tires to boot, so about as heavy as they get in the Tundra. I also noticed if I use premium gas it actually tends to raise it a little. I am also running with the blended gas here can't get pure gas any were in town any more, so that throw the milage down. The 13.5 is from the in dash computer after I installed the speedhealer so its should be once again accurate.
I gotten much better on long road trips for sure and can usually average 17-18 open highway running around 70mph give or take. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
379 Posts
E10 and/or winter blend will have an impact on your mileage... consider that when you hear "real life" stories.

Using E10 here, I get 13 in town and about 18 hwy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i get 11.5 mpg around town and around 14-15 (70-80mph)hwy mpg but i also drive like a bat out of hell and its a truck so i could really care less

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
16 mpg mixed driving is my average for the 55k I've been driving it.
I can make it get a bit better and I can make it get much much worse.
I've had a full tank give me 21mpg (never went faster than 45 mph while in Yellowstone Nat. Park)
I've had a full tank give me 7mpg (towing 5000#s on the twisty mountain roads)

RESULTS WILL VARY

·
Registered
536 Posts
Exactly, I don't care what my MPG is. It is a truck. Knowing my MPG is not going to change how fast or far I drive. So why check?

·
Registered
935 Posts
MPG info found in sig

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yeah...these threads have been beat to death. regardless of 2wd or 4wd. its a truck so it doesnt really matter. we went for a while where the threads were closed or merged but i guess now its ok to post another one here and there and get by with it. whatever. but go with the flow here smack, somewhere in the teens is what u are going to get...12 14 whatever..not like it really makes a difference anyway....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts