Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the following bed lighting system. The price seems reasonable but wondered if anybody here has any experience with it:

4z Products - Automatic Cargo Light

For the price and the small non-obrusive size I don't think I could home-brew one for much less.

Comments?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure what the rules are about vendors posting, but let me know if you guys have any questions about our light. It does a great job lighting up the entire box and is really easy to install.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure what the rules are about vendors posting, but let me know if you guys have any questions about our light. It does a great job lighting up the entire box and is really easy to install.
This sounds cool. Two questions:

1. Which lights up the bed better, Incandescent or LED?
  2. Can you post a link to installation instructions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't want to break any rules here, so I will chat with the moderators and see what I am allowed.
4Z - The only rule that you MUST NOT break is not given forum members HUGE discounts ;)
Second, I am also interested in seeing the installation instructions. You can e-mail the info if you do not want to post.
Can the light be turned on without the tailgate being down (such as a manual switch)?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't want to break any rules here, so I will chat with the moderators and see what I am allowed.
Wow, a vendor posting on a forum with integrity.:tu:

The best value of this forum is when people offer factual information that will help others make intelligent decisions. Normally opinions are valued also, but since you are a vendor you are probably OK if you don't express your opinions relating to products you sell. I don't see how anyone would object to you posting pure facts. (I've seen other posts on this forum that were allowed from people identifying themselves as a vendor)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought this light for my 08 Tundra and am very satisfied. I bought the light with a switch and an extra lite package (one LED for either side) from 4z Products - Automatic Cargo Light
and the bright LEDs lite up all my tools under my Bakflip bed cover perfectly.
A couple of tips for installation are: position your lites where you want them and drill a 1/4 inch hole to drop your wires for a clean installation. Also instead of putting the "switch" box on the side of the tail gate, the newer Tundras with the gas charged damping strut tailgate have a bracket accessible under the truck behind the driver side tail light where you can mount this switch (same orientation as the instructions show) and you will never see the wires (make sure you put switch on hot wire and not the ground cuz it wont work). Another added bonus is that you can adjust where the light shines in the bed (side of bed, middle of bed, or even indirect lighting by pointing it in towards the bed wall) by opening the plastic lens cover and twisting the LED light bulb to the left or right.
Very happy with lite, and saved me $100 to $200 compared to other bed lights I almost bought.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is it waterproof?? How is it fastened to the sidewall of the bed??

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Why not just replace the cargo light with LEDs? That should provide plenty of light
Nice thought but it won't do much good if you have a bed cover.
But will do good against tailgaters. :devil:

I've been using a flashlight until I can scrounge up the cash to do a real cargo light. It's pitch black under my Lazerlite cover.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have NO experience doing anything with wires and electricity......and I usual shy away from it for fear of royally screwing it up. Is this something I would be able to install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OF COURSE its under the tonneau cover. Thats the only reason I needed an extra lite (for under my cover) . It adheres with a double sided adhesion tape.

·
Registered
49 Posts
After installing my Extang SolidFold cover I was talking with my wife. I said, "honey, Ive got a great idea...Im gonna rig up a light in the bed with a switch, so I can see in the dark back there." She said, "Why dont you just use a flashlight." I was like...dam_...

Women just dont understand cool guy stuff...!

I still want a light back there, like yall are talking about!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice thought but it won't do much good if you have a bed cover.
But will do good against tailgaters. :devil:

I've been using a flashlight until I can scrounge up the cash to do a real cargo light. It's pitch black under my Lazerlite cover.

That cover seems to be giving you fits. Why don't you just get rid of it. I'll hall it off for free, nice guy that I am. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts