Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a car hauler and am going to tow my 92 reg cab toyota when i go hunt. use to drive that everyday but picked up a 2010 toyota tundra crewmax rockwarrior. the 92 is now just used for wheelin and hunting.

92 is no longer a stock truck with solid axles and all comes in about 3600 lbs.
the car hauler comes in from what i am told 1300 to 1500lbs. its a wood deck 18 foot 7k limit trailer brakes on one axle. after all gear for hunting put in the trailer about another 600 to 700 lbs.

so i am in the range of 5500 to 6000. now i know that the hitch says 5000 with out WDH and 10100 for WDH.

with that wieght am i really needing a wdh setup. would i be better off putting some of the weight in the bed towards the cab like the water jugs and ice chest?

thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
IMO you are probably ok without the wdh, but better off with one. Air bags would also help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is a cool looking set up. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like you are running pretty level. Seems like the set up would be fairly stable as you would have a good percentage of the trailer weight on the hitch due to the weight bias of the towed truck, etc. Though this likely puts a good amount of weight on the hitch with out equalizing it through the truck. I "guess" it really depends alot on how stable the whole thing seems to you. I would guess an equalizing hitch and sway control would always be helpful and safer, but 100% necessary....hard to say. In the end I would just follow Toyota's recommendation on this, either back it off to the 5000 lb level or add the wdh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How stable is that puppy when you pull? Was thinking about secondary suspension movement on the 92.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well pulled it about 600 miles. pulled great no sway. pulled it with a standard hitch. as far as the other truck it was tied down by the axles since the susp. is so soft. never moved on the trailer and didnt do anything funny to the tow truck or trailer. all and all it towed great. i would say i was probaly around the 6k mark with all gear and truck on trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts