Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice this besides me? Evidently its nothing to worry about.:confused:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mine is knocking when cold. It's getting worse as time goes bye. I can't buy that it is a forged piston clearance issue. My pistons shouldn't have worn that much in 1500 miles! If they have I certainly will be screaming bloody murder.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I also know better than to let someone diagnose my engine sounds thru email. I advise you do the same. At least have it looked at so you have a case if it fails later in life.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figure I'll wait till my next oil change and let the dealer check it out... I've still got some time left on warranty -- but it will run out pretty quick at 1200 miles per week. I havent noticed it getting any worse however.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
479 Posts
I haven't noticed any knocking in my 5.7 despite use in cold weather.Then again,I didn't have the knocking in my 1999 gmc with 5.3 while many other people reported the knock with the same engine.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My 4.7 does the piston slap dance when the temps are low, I just let it idle 5 min when its cold out, some people had the motors changed cause it was so severe, I can see where it would be annoying in cold climates if you heard it all day long.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like the classic case of piston slap. If so, it's not a big problem. GM LS1 engines are known to do it from time to time, and there haven't been any reliability issues that I know of, and those motors have been on the road for 10 years now. My 02 Camaro did it, and changing from 5w30 to 10w30 helped a lot.

·
Registered
595 Posts
First off no one knows what it is. I've heard piston slap before and this isn't it (5.3 w/100K). It's way too much. If it is it my engine is getting changed. It's not even cold out 58*. This morning it rattled like a damn diesel (41*)!

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
First off no one knows what it is. I've heard piston slap before and this isn't it (5.3 w/100K). It's way too much. If it is it my engine is getting changed. It's not even cold out 50*. This morning it rattled like a damn diesel!
Maybe the assembler dropped his Titanium wedding ring in your motor?!!!:eek: :clown:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I guess I don't get the titanium connection?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
It was just a joke, Ti would last longer than most of the engine components, thus it would rattle around in there for a long long time. Where say a stray washer would get shredded and come out with the filter and oil, been there, fixed that (man other people kids and their darn wrenches).

Really, just a josh.:D :tu:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I sit here looking at these posts of oh, it's probably just piston slap and it really chaps my hide. What makes piston slap acceptable in a 3 week old vehicle? What makes a clearance issue acceptable at all?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I sit here looking at these posts of oh, it's probably just piston slap and it really chaps my hide. What makes piston slap acceptable in a 3 week old vehicle? What makes a clearance issue acceptable at all?
I think you may be one of the lucky ones who may have a problem. Understand none of us can hear what you are describing. If it is as bad as you make it out to be, you may have something going on.

Piston slap is fairly normal. I race motorcross and everyone of my bikes and my buddies have the same slap on cold startup. Aluminum block and forged pistons have different warmup times to reach optimal specs. They will click and clack until warm, the noise they make with 1 cylinder, I could only imagine 8.:eek: That is why you will never see any of us start it a ride it. It has to warm up or you lose the life of the motor components. But when it warms the noise completely disappears.

I have not yet noticed anything as far as noise on my 5.7, but your post has me listening. I have the remote start and I run the vehical for a good 5 minutes before I even get in. In the last 2 days of ownership, I have noticed nothing, it is warm when I get in.

Tomorrow morning, I will not start it until I am ready to walk out the door. Keep in mind I will not drive it on a cold motor but, I will take a good listen as it warms up and report back to you tomorrow morning on what I find. Look in this thread in the am.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I race dirt bikes myself. I'm very familiar with piston slap, cold seizures and the like. These motors don't turn 14000 RPM and need the clearances that a 250F does. I have been wrong many times in my life, this could be another one of them. However, I don't think this is piston slap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Guys, there's nothing to worry about with the 5.7L and that annoying sound on cold days. It does not last for more than 3 minutes and there is no long term reliability concerns to the motor. I beleive Toyota when they say it's normal for the 4.7L and 5.7L motors to do that:tu: This is my third Tundra and they have all done that during the Winter months. I just take it easy and make sure to not go over 2k RPM for the first 3 minutes and after that, everything is normal.

I'm sure Toyota put this 5.7L motor through cold weather testing and every other test before they decided to introduce it in the '07 Tundra. I won't lose sleep over this.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd say this is an issue if it bothers the customer. Why would Toyota continue not to fix this issue after what others are saying has been 'normal' for years with the 4.7 and now maybe the 5.7?

Guys, there's nothing to worry about with the 5.7L and that annoying sound on cold days. It does not last for more than 3 minutes and there is no long term reliability concerns to the motor. I beleive Toyota when they say it's normal for the 4.7L and 5.7L motors to do that:tu: This is my third Tundra and they have all done that during the Winter months. I just take it easy and make sure to not go over 2k RPM for the first 3 minutes and after that, everything is normal.

I'm sure Toyota put this 5.7L motor through cold weather testing and every other test before they decided to introduce it in the '07 Tundra. I won't lose sleep over this.

Cheers

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I'd say this is an issue if it bothers the customer. Why would Toyota continue not to fix this issue after what others are saying has been 'normal' for years with the 4.7 and now maybe the 5.7?
They don't fix it because it has to be that way for everything to be in spec when the thing warms up.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
MLN,

My truck purrs like a kitten, granted it was 50 degrees outside at 5am when I left the house, but mine sounds as it should.

You seem very "stand offish" about your issue. If you don't want anyones opinion or ideas, stop posting about it.
Go to the dealer and make them fix it, or put in ear plugs and run it till she dies.:D :clown:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mine lasts more than three minutes. I let my engine warm up nearly that long. Then I drive another 10 minutes to work.

Again, what makes it normal for some engines to do it while others don't. For my $35,000 I want one that doesn't make noise.

Again, I'm not convinced it is piston slap. If it is I think it's on the extreme side. Too much clearance is a bad thing, if the piston rocks enough I could end up cracking or breaking the piston skirts.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts