Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting an engine rattling noise almost sounding like a diesel noise from my engine when ever I accelerate (slowly, not gunning it). This engine rattling noise happens at all speeds and gear ranges, but it quiets down slightly when transmission changes gear at the high point and the rattling begins again on the next gear onward. I can't hear this noise when in Neutral or Park postion, only in Drive position. I can't stand this rattling noise from the engine compartment. I took it to the dealer and they did not know what it was and claim that it was just a normal engine noise. I told them I did not hear these kind of noise when it was newer. With our quiet cabin, you can hear everything this engine makes. We drove a brand new 2010 Tundra to see if the same noise is there and there were none, as smooth as silk. We then drove one of the service manager's Tundra which had about 25K miles and he does have the same similar rattling noise during acceleration as mine, but just not as loud. I have about 37K miles on my Tundra now and the engine is already sounding pretty bad and so I can't imagine when it gets older.

I use my truck for fishing and hunting trips which can be longer distance like 6hr to 10 hr and about max 3-4 times a year. Is my long distance driving causing harm to my engine to sound this bad? I know driving for that much can put a toll on the engine over time. I can hear that the engine sound pretty bad after my long hunting trip last winter.

This engine is a lot more noisy than my previous 2001 Tundra 4.7 liter engine. I am just wondering if other people in here with the 5.7 liter engine are getting the same rattling (diesel like) noise as mine and have you found a solution to this problem? I must admit, I like all the power of this engine, but the loud engine noise and oil change design of this engine are getting on my nerves.

Anyone with this problem? Please help...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the same thing. Toyota drove the truck and heard the noise, but we have no idea what it is. I tried running premium for about a month and it didnt change the noise. We actually test drove a different tundra with similar mileage as mine and it did not have the noise

Do you have aftermarket exhaust?

-Tim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have aftermarket mufflers. In fact, everything is stock in my truck. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but last winter is when I switch from conventional motor oil to using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and then after my long hunting trip drive I started hearing this noise getting louder. Don't know if the oil is too slippery or what that is causing the pistons to be too loose? Not sure. I went back now to using Valvoline conventional oil now and will stick with it since I did not have any problem before switching to synthetic. But, now I am stuck with the engine noise.... :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
have the dealer get some chassis ears out and go around while duplicating the issue. heard of VVT complaints, could also be a chain tensioner issue causing chain to have some slack under light load. nissan has this problem with all their dohc chain engines, so does ford, vw/audi-- usualy cold start, or vehicles experiencing oil pressure issues. change of oils could affect the chain tensioner seeing they operate off of oil pressure. just an idea though...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
From MXSJW....

"It has nothing to do with the pistons, it's the exhaust valve timing from the VVT-I. When cold, it's modified to keep the valves closed fractions of a second longer. That's the noise you hear, and it's 100% designed that way. Stop worrying about it....it's NOT piston slap."

Sounds reasonable. And when the engine is warm you don't hear this noise either. Let the rig warm up a bit before blasting off. :p

Reactions: H2O_MAN

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same problem, took mine to the dealer and they said it was a broken flange on the exhaust manifold (left side) part # 17105-38010. The only reason they knew this is because they had another tundra in the day before with the same problem. Toyota told my dealer that they knew of this problem and tried to catch most of the trucks from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All, thanks for the post, I was concerned and thought I was losing my mind. I have heard the same thing, but it would only happen when the weather was real good (for Georgia). MXSJW response sounds reasonable......

Thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This rattling noise get worse when the engine is running hotter. In fact, the noise is less noticeable when I drive it in the morning when it is colder out. It might just be that the engine is louder too when it is cold out that it blocks out the rattling noise in the background. I am thinking it is either a VVTI or chain timing belt that is making the noise, but not sure.

cdavids, did the fix on the broken flange exhaust manifold get rid of your noise? This might be my problem, maybe.

I had my serpent belts and tensioner fix last winter also as part of the TSB posted on this website. I was having the sqeaking noise from the belt. I don't think they mess anything up during this fix though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It got to be the timing chain tensioner,chain stretches when gets warmer thats why is louder when engine warms up

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
This rattling noise get worse when the engine is running hotter. In fact, the noise is less noticeable when I drive it in the morning when it is colder out. It might just be that the engine is louder too when it is cold out that it blocks out the rattling noise in the background. I am thinking it is either a VVTI or chain timing belt that is making the noise, but not sure.

cdavids, did the fix on the broken flange exhaust manifold get rid of your noise? This might be my problem, maybe.

I had my serpent belts and tensioner fix last winter also as part of the TSB posted on this website. I was having the sqeaking noise from the belt. I don't think they mess anything up during this fix though.
If you have warranty????
I say hold your foot at WOT as you crank it.... blow that POS up.... :D

I'm about to jump ship from the Tundra, as I have a drivetrain related noise that I can barely stand... The techs seem to have a hard time hearing it... I also had a serious clunk going on, in which I couldn't produce at will... I tried to get them to open up the rear diff, but they wouldn't open the rear diff, till they heard/experienced the clunk I was talking about... I even offered to pay them for the 15 minutes it takes to pull the diff cover, diff lube... and gasket material for the diff cover.... THEY STILL REFUSED IT!!! They did do the driveshaft TSB, that my truck wasn't even covered under... I still have the noise, and highly doubt that I won't see that clunk again... too soon to tell just yet...

Blah.... I don't need half-assed book following mechs, that more/less tells me that I'm tripping when it comes to a serious issue.... If this diff locks up at 70mph interstate speeds... it will be a handful to keep straight... not to mention that it'll leave me stranded...

I'm very tired of missing work... to bring my truck in, for something that is very wrong... and they tell me that they can't do anything cause they can't duplicate it... not to mention I never/ever get a loaner...

BTW... I say clunk... this is not the day to day stop and go clunk(ahh... that BS is straight BS(we have to deal with it???).... this is more like the diff failing clunk that shakes the entire truck violently and even causes RPM drop....

Sorry for the rant... I had great experiences spending money with Toyota, and my dealership.... But I'm NOT liking the mess I have to go through to get something fixed when something goes wrong.... :td:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, fellas? i have the same problem with my tundra, it sounds like a diesel truck when stop in drive, my truck is a 2010 and i have almost 36k miles on it but the noise started when reached 30k miles... and i also have a problem that i don't know what it is, when i press the brakes when reach a red light and all the sudden the light turns green i released the brakes and press the gas, it makes a bad move like it jumps forward, does anyone knows what that is? or have the same problem? im taking mine to the dealer tomorrow before a reach 36k miles and warranty wont cover it.:ts:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the noise is common. the "bad move like it jumps forward" can either be you hitting the gas too hard or more likely if its somethign "abnormal", it could be the driveline thunk where the slip yoke slips into place. although it feels abnormal its normal. alot of us have the thunk, feels like we got bumped from the car behind us, when we stop and sometimes it happens when u just let off the brake, other times it happens when you first start to go...it depends on how the weight settles and how dry the slip yoke is. it can be greased up to make it go away for about a day but it comes back. if thats the issue. now if its a sudden surge or something, did u have the pedal recall done? if so, you might be one of the super sensitive pedal owners who needs a whole new pedal assy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Barney_Fife thanks, yeah actually it does feel like your getting hit from behind, i thought it was abnormal..now i know is "normal" :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, I don't have aftermarket mufflers. In fact, everything is stock in my truck. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but last winter is when I switch from conventional motor oil to using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and then after my long hunting trip drive I started hearing this noise getting louder. Don't know if the oil is too slippery or what that is causing the pistons to be too loose? Not sure. I went back now to using Valvoline conventional oil now and will stick with it since I did not have any problem before switching to synthetic. But, now I am stuck with the engine noise.... :mad:
I also switched to Mobil 1 and the rattling type noise started while towing my camper. It starts when the tran shifts to OD @ 50 mph. I added STP and this improved pressure and reduced noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been getting an engine rattling noise almost sounding like a diesel noise from my engine when ever I accelerate (slowly, not gunning it). This engine rattling noise happens at all speeds and gear ranges, but it quiets down slightly when transmission changes gear at the high point and the rattling begins again on the next gear onward. I can't hear this noise when in Neutral or Park postion, only in Drive position. I can't stand this rattling noise from the engine compartment. I took it to the dealer and they did not know what it was and claim that it was just a normal engine noise. I told them I did not hear these kind of noise when it was newer. With our quiet cabin, you can hear everything this engine makes. We drove a brand new 2010 Tundra to see if the same noise is there and there were none, as smooth as silk. We then drove one of the service manager's Tundra which had about 25K miles and he does have the same similar rattling noise during acceleration as mine, but just not as loud. I have about 37K miles on my Tundra now and the engine is already sounding pretty bad and so I can't imagine when it gets older.

I use my truck for fishing and hunting trips which can be longer distance like 6hr to 10 hr and about max 3-4 times a year. Is my long distance driving causing harm to my engine to sound this bad? I know driving for that much can put a toll on the engine over time. I can hear that the engine sound pretty bad after my long hunting trip last winter.

This engine is a lot more noisy than my previous 2001 Tundra 4.7 liter engine. I am just wondering if other people in here with the 5.7 liter engine are getting the same rattling (diesel like) noise as mine and have you found a solution to this problem? I must admit, I like all the power of this engine, but the loud engine noise and oil change design of this engine are getting on my nerves.

Anyone with this problem? Please help...
Pre-detination? Tried a higher octane fuel?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts