Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have normally changed my own oil on my vehicles in the past. But with my new 5.7 L I think I need some help. Is there a step by step guide somewhere on this forum or elsewhere?

I think I read that I now have a canister filter. Also, my 2007 Maintenance Guide says to change the oil at 5000 miles, and that you will have to reset the maintenance light. Hmm, how do I do that if and when it illuminates? Am I in over my head? I hope not; I should still be able to change my oil, right?

Also, should I or shouldn't I use a synthetic?

I have about 700 miles on the truck so I have a little time to research this and get some confidence.

Is there anything else as do-it-yourselfer I should consider doing at each oli change?

·
Registered
552 Posts
In my other vehicle it is usually covered in the owners manual. Have you looked in the owners manual? (not the maintenance/warranty schedule)

In addition to oil change, I usually do the other stuff listed in the mainenance schedule, which usually involves inspecting belts, greasing door hinges, etc. really easy stuff to do usually.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing my Owners Manual really covers is the viscocity and that sort of thing. It does not go into any detail on the steps to change the oil, such as accessing the filter, changing the canister (I think it is a canister), clear the maintentance light (if its on), etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The manual does tell you how to clear the maintenance light, but is useless for changing the oil.
I would like to know how to take the canister off. There is a clasp/clamp that I don't know how to release. I didn't fiddle with it much because I was afraid of breaking it.
I ended up draining the oil form the filter and the pan and left the old filter on until I can find out how to take the canister off.
Taking the skid plate off is also a pain, it is hinged at the front. You have to use a 6" extension in order to remove the skid plate bolts, which are very difficult to see.

·
Banned
27 Posts
REPLACEMENT

CAUTION:
  • Prolonged and repeated contact with engine oil will result in the removal of natural oils from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.
  • Precautions should be taken when replacing engine oil to minimize the risk of your skin making contact with used engine oil. Protective clothing and gloves that cannot be penetrated by oil should be worn. The skin should be washed with soap and water, or use waterless hand cleaner, to remove any used engine oil thoroughly. Do not use gasoline, thinners, or solvents.
  • In order to protect the environment, used oil and used oil filters must be disposed of at designated disposal sites.

<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02 xmlns=""><A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0002 xmlns="">1. DRAIN ENGINE OIL
(a) Remove the oil filler cap.
(b) Remove the oil pan drain plug and gasket, and drain the engine oil into a container.
(c) Install a new gasket and the oil pan drain plug.
Torque: 40 N·m (408 kgf·cm, 30 ft·lbf)
<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0003 xmlns="">2. REMOVE NO. 1 ENGINE UNDER COVER

(a) Remove the 3 screws and 5 bolts.

(b) Unhook the engine under cover from the vehicle body as shown in the illustration.
<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0004 xmlns="">3. REMOVE OIL FILTER ELEMENT

(a) Connect a hose with an inside diameter of 15 mm (0.591 in.) to the pipe.

(b) Remove the oil filter drain plug.

(c) Install the pipe to the oil filter cap.
NOTICE:

If the O-ring is removed with the drain plug, install the O-ring together with the pipe.

HINT:

Use a container to catch the draining oil.

(d) Check that oil is drained from the oil filter. Then disconnect the pipe and remove the O-ring, as shown in the illustration.

(e) Using SST, remove the oil filter cap.
SST: 09228-06501
NOTICE:

Do not remove the oil filter bracket clip.

(f) Remove the oil filter element and O-ring from the oil filter cap.
NOTICE:
Be sure to remove the O-ring for the cap by hand, without using any tools, to prevent damage to the cap's O-ring groove.

<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0005 xmlns="">
4. INSTALL OIL FILTER ELEMENT

(a) Clean the inside of the oil filter cap, its threads and its O-ring groove.

(b) Apply a small amount of engine oil to a new O-ring and install it to the oil filter cap.
(c) Set a new oil filter element to the oil filter cap.
(d) Remove any dirt or foreign matter from the installation surface of the engine.
(e) Apply a small amount of engine oil to the O-ring again and temporarily install the oil filter cap.

(f) Using SST, tighten the oil filter cap.
SST: 09228-06501
Torque: 25 N·m (255 kgf·cm, 18 ft·lbf)
NOTICE:

• When tightening the oil filter cap, do not remove the oil filter bracket clip.
  • Make sure that the oil filter is installed securely as shown in the illustration.
  • Be careful that the O-ring does not get caught between any surrounding parts.

(g) Apply a small amount of engine oil to a new drain plug O-ring, and install it to the oil filter cap.
NOTICE:
Before installing the O-ring, remove any dirt or foreign matter from the installation surface of the oil filter cap.

(h) Install the oil filter drain plug.
Torque: 13 N·m (127 kgf·cm, 9 ft·lbf)
NOTICE:
Be careful that the O-ring does not get caught between any surrounding parts.
<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0006 xmlns="">5. ADD ENGINE OIL
(a) Add fresh oil.
Standard oil grade:
Oil Grade
Oil Viscosity (SAE)
ILSAC multigrade engine oil
0W-20
5W-20
(0W-20 is best choice for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.)

Standard oil capacity:
Item
Specified Condition
Drain and refill with oil filter change
7.0 liters (7.4 US qts, 6.2 Imp. qts)
Drain and refill without oil filter change
6.6 liters (7.0 US qts, 5.8 Imp. qts)
Dry fill
8.4 liters (8.9 US qts, 7.4 Imp. qts)

(b) Install the oil filler cap.
<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0010 xmlns="">6. INSPECT FOR OIL LEAK
(a) Start the engine. Make sure that there are no oil leaks from the area that was worked on.
<A name=RM000002O1G004X_02_0011 xmlns="">7. INSPECT ENGINE OIL LEVEL <A href="http://tis.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/rm/RM04E0U/xhtml/RM000002MQJ005X.html#RM000002MQJ005X_01_0001">

8. INSTALL NO. 1 ENGINE UNDER COVER

(a) Hook the engine under cover to the vehicle body as shown in the illustration.

(b) Install the 3 screws and 5 bolts.
Torque: 29 N·m (296 kgf·cm, 21 ft·lbf)
Torque: 5.4 N·m (55 kgf·cm, 48 in·lbf)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you! It answered my question about the bracket, or as I called it a clamp.To bad the pictures are redX's, but now I have enough info not to break something.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
A lot of engines hold oil around the cam followers/lifters and in the machined galleys, but 1.5 qts of non drainable oil is quite a bit.

Capacity: 7.4 US qts w/filter // 8.9 US qts dry fill

·
Registered
172 Posts
A lot of engines hold oil around the cam followers/lifters and in the machined galleys, but 1.5 qts of non drainable oil is quite a bit.

Capacity: 7.4 US qts w/filter // 8.9 US qts dry fill
Yes it is! I don't like the idea of leaving that much dirty (used) oil in there to be mixed (dilute) the new oil.:(

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yes it is! I don't like the idea of leaving that much dirty (used) oil in there to be mixed (dilute) the new oil.:(

That's why it's so important to change the oil at scheduled intervals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dealership gives my lifelong oil and filter changes :) which i like but I still want to know how to do minor maintenance on my truck. I noticed while looking through my owners manual on the very last two pages I believe it gives you some information on a supplemental maintenance guide you can get from Toyota that supossedly tells you how to do many of your maintenence things such as changing oil. I don't have one but I plan on getting one sometime soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, one of my first investments will be the maintenance manual noted on the last 2 pages of the Owners Manual. It may be pricey; I will call the toll free number on Monday to find out. But I think in the future I will need the kind of detailed info Mr. Jones supplied in this thread (see above), and I think that manual will provide it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to all! Its my first post, I keep getting a remider to post a question or something, so here goes....

Today I brought our 2006 Sequoia Ltd in for its 10,000 mile oil change and tire rotation, still waiting for the BJ Recall parts to arrive. I have looked and drove the new Tundra's and asked the service writers as well as the service manager where exactly is the oil filter on the 5.7, they all refer to it as the BIG MOTOR!

Well no one knows!

They checked with the mechanics and said they haven't changed any yet, should know by next month. Seems they only had SALES TRAINING on the new motors. I really hope that was NOT the case, I would have thought that each dealership would have had to send some mechanincs for training on this engine. What do you think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Based on DaveM123's experinces, I guess that's one reason to bone up and maybe do the first few yourself, so they are done correctly, and let the dealerships get trained-up in the meantime.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still can't see them either CP. I will check my fax tonight when I get home; even if it went to voicemail it may have come through.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts