Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 08 5.7 dc 3 months ago with 24k on it.I was changing the oil today at 26k and when i took the skid plate of i noticed pink antifreeze had been leaking down the front of the motor so i made appointment to have the water pump done Thursday at Toyota.Seams awful early for a water pump.Is it the pump or gasket.Will they use a updated pump or gasket.

· Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Re: 5.7 leaking water pump comon problem yes,no.

It is not a REAL common problem, but there have been several of them reported. I haven't seen anything about changes to the pump.

· Registered
1,141 Posts

I took my 08 with 80,000 in for some leaky valve covers and the dealer noticed the water pump had a small leak, so they replaced that under warranty. I've done all my own oil changes and never saw signs of the coolant leaking. The coolant level never dropped in the coolant tank either....

· Registered
2,969 Posts

Had my 07 water pump replaced about 60k miles. Dealer noticed it leaking and did it under warranty.

· Registered
825 Posts

i see it at work every now and then...not a common problem, but not un-heard-of. my truck was leaking, i did it under warranty. takes about 2 hours on the 5.7

· Registered
303 Posts

My '08 with 56K was done a couple weeks ago. I think it's more common than not....keep an eye on them that's for sure.

· Registered
72 Posts

Mine has been good so far(59924mi). But I'm going outside to check it and a few other things right now. Obviously she need a good leak check before it goes outta warranty.
Update: Well everything looks fine...Hopefully the coolant change at 50K will save my wp bearing

· Registered
825 Posts

its not a big deal...not too hard to replace, i did my own.

· Registered
758 Posts

Just noticed a small puddle of anti-freeze on the garage floor this morning. I suppose I'll need to replace my water pump as well. I wonder if it is the gasket that is going bad on all these trucks and not the water pump. I believe all of the internals of the pump are stainless steel and should last a very long time.

I'm not to dissatisfied considering this will be my first repair other than brakes in over 118,000 miles. At 118,000 miles my old Dodge Dakota was heading to the junk yard, my 2001 Nissan Frontier had well over $10,000 in various warranty work and my 2004 Honda Accord was on it's 3rd transmission. I guess I should be happy with only a water pump, oh well.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.