Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Changed my oil last night without a hitch, waited over an hour for all the oil to drain, replaced the oil filter and added 7 quarts of Syntec 5w-20. I ran the engine for a few minutes and checked the oil level and its about 1/4" over the full line. let it sit overnight and checked this morning and sure enough same thing...1/4" over full with only 7 quarts? This is driving me nuts and i cant figure out why its showing over full. The oil pressure looks good it's just that my OCD is eating at me :). Anyone else having this issue? Thanks for the help in advance fellas!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Believe it or not, you probably didn't get all the oil out of the engine.

Did you have the drain plug out while draining the oil filter housing?

My dipstick will read on the lower half of the safe range if I only add 7 qts. To get to the upper half of the stick I have to put in 7.5 qts.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
7 1/2 qts in mine puts the level midway in the range. Ive thought about adding that extra 1/2 qt on every other oil change just to USE it!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Believe it or not, you probably didn't get all the oil out of the engine.

Did you have the drain plug out while draining the oil filter housing?

My dipstick will read on the lower half of the safe range if I only add 7 qts. To get to the upper half of the stick I have to put in 7.5 qts.
Same here. I usually have to put in 7.5-7.75 qts.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Same with me, 7.4 quarts (recommended level) puts me pretty much in the middle of my reading too. I gotta ask the obvious though... is your truck on level ground? Or do you have it propped up or on an incline?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put a full 8qts in after changeing my oil and it read just below the overfill line. Hate to say it but there must have been some residual oil left in there somewhere.

·
Registered
918 Posts
People driving the truck, parking it, then changing the oil soon after or is it sitting for a few hours or more before you do this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck is level and i always change oil in all my vehicles when they are warm. I dont know why this is reading over the full line with only 7 quarts....the sucker was bone dry after i drained her :confused:.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any way the dipstick isn't original or is getting pushed down further? Silly question... but now you've got me wondering.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Getting flame suit on:

Ok, I'm ready.......I don't even check the dipstick, Jimmy, after an oil change.

If you KNOW you got it all out, and you KNOW you put at least 7 quarts back in........drive the fugger and get some sleep. (not at the same time)

I use the 5 quart jug from Walley World and then buy 2 quarts. I actually refill the jug(s) with the old oil and come oh so close to getting the containers full. This is after 45K with 5K OCI's.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Getting flame suit on:

Ok, I'm ready.......I don't even check the dipstick, Jimmy, after an oil change.

If you KNOW you got it all out, and you KNOW you put at least 7 quarts back in........drive the fugger and get some sleep. (not at the same time)

I use the 5 quart jug from Walley World and then buy 2 quarts. I actually refill the jug(s) with the old oil and come oh so close to getting the containers full. This is after 45K with 5K OCI's.
so...if u did in fact check the dipstick u would find you are half a quart low everytime. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
if you drain it properly you will need 8qts to make it reach the top of the full line .. i have done 2-300 tundra 5.7L oilchanges and this is always the case .. so yeah you didnt drain it all or maybe you didnt change the oil filter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the filter.....i drained the oil and im 1/4" over full with 7 qts. Im going to call the service dept at my local Toyota dealer tomorrow because this is killing me....

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
so...if u did in fact check the dipstick u would find you are half a quart low everytime. :)

Actually........it would be .4 quarts low.:D

But all kidding aside, I doubt very much short of breaking oil lines loose and scavaging/vacuuming coolers etc...one is going to get every last drop of oil drained from the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I put in 7.5 on the 1st change and it was well below the fill line; seemed to hear a bit of a low oil engine knock after a day or two. I added about another .5 to get me just at the fill line and lost the engine smoothed out. Maybe your dip stick is off?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I put in 7.5 on the 1st change and it was well below the fill line; the engine knocked/pinged a bit still after a day or two. I added about another .5 to get me just at the fill line and lost the engine noise. Maybe your dip stick is off?

Ummmm...........errrrrr.........shhhhh.......Nevermind.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
..maybe not a knock but kindof a low oil kinda pecker. ?? or maybe i was listening for something i didnt really hear to justify going with 7.9 QTS (the manual's filter/without filter recommendation wasnt clear)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
..maybe not a knock but kindof a low oil kinda pecker. ?? or maybe i was listening for something i didnt really hear to justify going with 7.9 QTS (the manual's filter/without filter recommendation wasnt clear)

I'll admit to being a tad paranoid at various sounds/squeeks etc...

Last month my truck started a horrible whistling noise on a very deserted road.

I'm freaking out because we had been at very high speeds for quite a while, so fast that we actually ran down a 911 that had a huge ski rack.

I backed down to a slower velocity and the whistling magically vanished.......as did the 911!!!

Caught back up to the Porsche a few minutes later and there was that lovely tune.

Must have been his ski rack....can't imagine what it sounded like in his car.

So I don't blame you for hearing things that may actually be there, but I'm quite confident our trucks will not knock/ping or even pecker(?) being a 1/2 quart low.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts