Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying an early model V8 Tundra and doing a manual tranny swap. Do you guys know anyone that has done one is the US? I've tried to do some searching but keep coming up empty and don't understand all the names of the engines and trannies.

In my noob mind, it seems like this shouldn't be that hard (which is always a bad way to start a sentence) since 1) I've heard there are V8 Manual Land Cruisers in other countries and 2) I think the auto tranny in the V6 and V8 Tundras are the same, so the V6 manual may work with a V8.

Before going down this path, I want to make sure someone else has already successfully done this. Also, does anyone have a guess on how much this would cost? I'd probably have a shop do all the work since I've got too many other projects right now.

Thanks,
Findley

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
So far, I believe there is a company out there that manufactures a part which allows you to fit a supra transmission with a 2UZFE. The part itself is expensive, as will be finding a used supra trans.

You will run into issues with the ECU because it was never designed to run a manual transmission.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Or he can just trade me for my 06 Tundra w/ 6spd.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you have a 6-speed manual V8 Tundy? How did you get/make that?

F
LOL, I wish. I'd be racing everyone from a roll on the way to work. Nah, its the 6cyl w/ 6spd. Pretty quick though, watch out!:cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
i was reading up on the 2uzfe engine swap in a supra, and the guy used a V160 tranny. so apparently, with the adapter plate, that 6 speed manual will bolt on to the engine. the issue would be seeing if there's space for the tranny to fit in the tundra. of course....you can make pretty much anything fit with some metal work :)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i'm having trouble finding the site that talks about having an adapter plate! help!! also, what about problems with the ecu? this engine wasn't really set up for a manual (thou it would be AWSOME!). could the computer be re-vamped with one of those programmers or could it be sent off and re-programmed? this is a mod that I would love to do! i don't reckon you could use a tacomma tranny huh?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Instead of a manual tranny swap, I'd spend my money on that 5.5L stroker kit. Holy cows!!! At $7,400, it's a bit out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i totally agree with you about that 5.5L stroker kit being just alittle bit $$$. for that amount of money i'd want to see some dyno numbers and some long term test results! i got a feeling though that that is for racing applications only.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i'm having trouble finding the site that talks about having an adapter plate! help!! also, what about problems with the ecu? this engine wasn't really set up for a manual (thou it would be AWSOME!). could the computer be re-vamped with one of those programmers or could it be sent off and re-programmed? this is a mod that I would love to do! i don't reckon you could use a tacomma tranny huh?
I have been looking into this quite heavily as im building a 91 toyota to race off-road in the desert and was planning on running a Tundra engine.

options:
TTC adapter 800+ supra trans= ~ 3,800
Protrucks makes an adapter for a TH400 out of a chevy= ~1,700, but is not a manual.

So I decided to build a 500hp small block chevy with a TH400 trans for less than a stock tundra motor and trans. lol

All in all I think is would be waaaaay too expensive for a motor that puts out 250hp. Not really worth it IMO

·
Registered
271 Posts
Whatever total costs you come up with, double it. My last project was an SAS 1990 Toyota Pickup. It ran 36's with lockers all the way around. 96 Chevy 4.3L and a TH350 trans. The motor swap with tranny was much more work than anticipated. Even though you are planny on just doing a tranny swap you must also consider the possibility of your ECU not working properly afterwards, custom driveshafts, mounts, pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, and of course the least of your problems which could be a big one, the shifter not matching up properly. Anyone who has a custom vehicle knows, there is a lot more to swaps than just throwing it in there with an adapter plate. Honestly, leave it an auto or sell your truck and get a 3.4L with a manual. After the several thousands you put into it you may find that it isn't worth the trouble. Take it from me, been there, done that

Ryan

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's a young guy from Ohio (if I'm not mistaken) with a 1st Gen Tundra and 4.7l with a W58 supra transmission that he did himself. He's a member here on TS plus he has a video of it on youtube. I've been in the process for awhile now getting parts together to do the same thing to my '06 SR5 DC. Hope this helped.

·
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
There is a kid here who did it in northern Indiana - Caleb or something like that?

EDIT Here it is: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/217863-2000-4-7l-5-speed-manual/
Ya, I've spoken with him a couple of times. He used a W58 5spd transmission from a Mk3 supra. It's not a bad transmission and can be relatively found easily and it's cheap in comparison to other transmissions. It can hold up to 450hp but I really wouldn't push it beyond that. I currently have a T56 6spd and a R154 5spd for a Mk4 supra. It's a more durable transmission that can hold it's own really well but it's nothing like the V160 or 161. That is the 6spd supra transmission that came in the 95+supraTT. It's the nastiest transmission that supra ever received from toyota and it's worth it's weight in gold in the supra culture. Just having it in your car can add an additional 10k to your selling price tag. I found a used one with over 80k miles on it and the guy sold it for 6500. Sick.

Hope all is well and you finished up with all that court business. Take care.

·
7,925 Posts
Ya, I've spoken with him a couple of times. He used a W58 5spd transmission from a Mk3 supra. It's not a bad transmission and can be relatively found easily and it's cheap in comparison to other transmissions. It can hold up to 450hp but I really wouldn't push it beyond that. I currently have a T56 6spd and a R154 5spd for a Mk4 supra. It's a more durable transmission that can hold it's own really well but it's nothing like the V160 or 161. That is the 6spd supra transmission that came in the 95+supraTT. It's the nastiest transmission that supra ever received from toyota and it's worth it's weight in gold in the supra culture. Just having it in your car can add an additional 10k to your selling price tag. I found a used one with over 80k miles on it and the guy sold it for 6500. Sick.

Hope all is well and you finished up with all that court business. Take care.
Pretty impressive kid to have done that. I would have never attempted it myself, maybe paid a shop big dollars to do it, but no way I have the ability, tools, or place (or time) to attempt it. I am not too far from him and would love to meet up with him and check out his truck in person.

Things here are lively in the trial department and the Final Hearing is the end of this month. We actually stand a shot at custody but nothing is a sure thing in these parts. Family is good overall. Gotta make it down there one winter for "fuel economy data gathering" and stop by to see you. Maybe we can put together a meet or get-together.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pretty impressive kid to have done that. I would have never attempted it myself, maybe paid a shop big dollars to do it, but no way I have the ability, tools, or place (or time) to attempt it. I am not too far from him and would love to meet up with him and check out his truck in person.

Things here are lively in the trial department and the Final Hearing is the end of this month. We actually stand a shot at custody but nothing is a sure thing in these parts. Family is good overall. Gotta make it down there one winter for "fuel economy data gathering" and stop by to see you. Maybe we can put together a meet or get-together.

Sounds good Toby and good luck. Let me know when you come down and I'll meet up with you. As long as my Canes aren't playing that weekend then I'm good. I shut my entire day down for a Canes game. Take care man.

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts