Toyota Tundra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

50% tint on windshield

14K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  Tundradrenalin 
#1 ·
So I've recommended tinting windshields to a lot of people (the whole windshield, not just the strip across the top), but never been able to properly describe the difference between a non-tinted and a 50% tinted windshield. From the inside, it's a slightly noticeable difference - it takes the extra glare off everything. Well, I now have a picture to show the difference from outside. The white truck is not tinted, and the slate truck has 50% tint across the windshield. If you compare the A-pillars, you can tell for yourself how dark the tint is:

See less See more
#4 ·
#6 ·
Yep, it's illegal here and they WILL pull you over for it!!
yup. i certainly will too. any safety issue thats blatant like that..certainly.

#7 ·
As much as its illegal, it gives you the privacy you could possibly want. I have 45%, though its illegal during the day in the summer time you dont even have to wear sun glasses. The tint reflects it pretty well. Also I love having my privacy and people not always being able to see in, and having the windshield tinted helps with that. At night time it is difficult to see, but no different if you have your windows tinted trying to back-up at night time.

#8 ·
Windshield tinting...For those who don't drive at night
There's a slightly more noticeable difference at night, but not much. So my eyes dilate a marginal amount more than other peoples, big deal. I've also upgraded my headlights so if there is a slight loss of visibility I have gained it back.
That is for sure awesome! I think 50% would not hurt you at night, but more help you with headlight glare, etc.
I definitely think it cuts down on headlight glare.
Yep, it's illegal here and they WILL pull you over for it!!
It's illegal everywhere, but so are most things.
yup. i certainly will too. any safety issue thats blatant like that..certainly.
Blatant? Did you compare the two pictures? It's a minimal difference at most. Every time I see Camaro police cars with tint of 10% (or darker) on the rear glass to hide their electronics, I realize that tint laws, like many others, are sketchy at best. And if PD's are going to put vehicles on the road that are in violation of tint laws, well, it's hard to expect others to obey.

Next time onpointtundra and I are together I'll take a picture from inside each truck with the same aperture/shutter speed so you can accurately see the difference (it's not much).

#9 ·
Every time I see Camaro police cars with tint of 10% (or darker) on the rear glass to hide their electronics, I realize that tint laws, like many others, are sketchy at best. And if PD's are going to put vehicles on the road that are in violation of tint laws, well, it's hard to expect others to obey.
Windows to the rear of the driver can be tinted as dark as you want, even covered with a piece of plywood, as long as you have two side mirrors. So what you are saying is not true, the cop cars are not in violation of the tint law. Now that is California law, your state may be different....b

#11 ·
All K-9 Patrol cars around here have the windshield as black as night (5% ?)

I do the upper part of most of my vehicles (visor area), but not the entire windshield.

The rest of my windows are 20%. IF I lived in the desert I would most certainly have ALL my windows tinted.

#12 ·
Windows to the rear of the driver can be tinted as dark as you want, even covered with a piece of plywood, as long as you have two side mirrors. So what you are saying is not true, the cop cars are not in violation of the tint law. Now that is California law, your state may be different....b
Maybe in your state, but here it is 35% max on the back glass.... unless you're in a police vehicle.
I can't see much difference...So how is a cop going to see the difference and pull you over for it? lol
There's not, which is the point.
All K-9 Patrol cars around here have the windshield as black as night (5% ?)

I do the upper part of most of my vehicles (visor area), but not the entire windshield.

The rest of my windows are 20%. IF I lived in the desert I would most certainly have ALL my windows tinted.
If I was in a desert state I'd probably do mine darker, too. I'm legal on my side and rear glass (35% front sides, stock on the rear sides and back).

#13 ·
Every time I see Camaro police cars with tint of 10% (or darker) on the rear glass to hide their electronics, I realize that tint laws, like many others, are sketchy at best. And if PD's are going to put vehicles on the road that are in violation of tint laws, well, it's hard to expect others to obey.
:boink:Most states have a statutory exemption for law enforcement vehicles.

#15 ·
:boink:Most states have a statutory exemption for law enforcement vehicles.
Agreed! Does not apply to law enforcement vehicles. And yes we all know it is illegal, but just lightly tinting it, might go un-noticed. You can buy those blue reflective glass windshields which would be legal.

#16 ·
CA law does allow that, as many states do for the rear windows..In GA though it must be a SUV/Truck type of vehicle to be able to do that. Otherwise all windows must be 32% all the way around on cars.

But at least we can do the front windows 32% as with you CA guys that have to put 70% on your front two windows. Would not even waste my $$ doing that. Maybe 70% on the windshield will for sure go un-noticed.

#17 ·
I actually have 35% tint over my entire front windshield and don't regret it at all. It's very noticable from the outside (all you can see is my rear view mirror) I know it's illegal but it is much easier to drive on those sunny days as my eyes r sensitive to light. And its still tolerable at night. Tundras have really freakin bright lights stock anyways so seeing isnt an issue for me.

#19 ·
"Most states have a statutory exemption for law enforcement vehicles."

In LAPD det cars have their dr & pass doors darkened. Mine are lightly tinted but I wouldn't tint the windshield cuz the man would luv to see that in the areas I drive. Also in Ca cops can talk on Cell phones (not that I think everyone should), ever been behind a cop on a phone, its worse than a regular bonehead on a phone.

#20 ·
I actually have 35% tint over my entire front windshield and don't regret it at all. It's very noticable from the outside (all you can see is my rear view mirror) I know it's illegal but it is much easier to drive on those sunny days as my eyes r sensitive to light. And its still tolerable at night. Tundras have really freakin bright lights stock anyways so seeing isnt an issue for me.
I'd bet you can get some sort of "handicap" permit or whatnot from the eye doctor that will help you get out of any sort of ticket.

I personally won't tint my windshield. I look out of it too much when Im driving and I wear sunglasses to kill the sun.

-rockstate

#21 ·
I'd bet you can get some sort of "handicap" permit or whatnot from the eye doctor that will help you get out of any sort of ticket.

I personally won't tint my windshield. I look out of it too much when Im driving and I wear sunglasses to kill the sun.

-rockstate
I've talked with CA residents that have eye-related reasons for tinting their windshield, with their optometrist recommending it, yet they still get written up by officers. Even when they go to court the judges give them a hard time before finally dropping it.

#22 ·

-rockstate
points sent rock. one of the more sensible posts in this thread. :)

#23 ·
I love a good debate!! My truck in the picture is already illegal on the side windows. I have 20% on all my windows except the windshield. I've been in Rone's truck and I'm pretty sure the cops are not going to catch the tint. I've had a few LEO's around my truck and haven't had any of them say anything about my tint. The only one that has noticed it was a Texas State trooper friend and that was only because we were parked next to each other for a few days. LOL

I've been thinking about getting my windshield done too.

#24 ·
A friend of mine got out of a ticket that way, citing medical reasons for needing the tint to the judge....something called "photophobia". Problem is, now he has to have regular medical examinations and get a doctor's approval to drive from now on. :ballchain:

#25 ·

-rockstate
I used to think it was a dumb thing to do when I'd hear of someone tinting their windshield, but after having ridden in one I will now never own another vehicle without the windshield tinted. Look at the picture I posted, you really think that's going to affect your ability to see out? It's a very subtle change, that mostly cuts down on glare - I think we can all agree that's a good thing. Oh, and the funny crease along the back edge of the hood that some people complain about reflecting sun? No longer an issue.
points sent rock. one of the more sensible posts in this thread. :)
Don't judge 'till you've tried. :)
A friend of mine got out of a ticket that way, citing medical reasons for needing the tint to the judge....something called "photophobia". Problem is, now he has to have regular medical examinations and get a doctor's approval to drive from now on. :ballchain:

That sucks, but it's hard to feel sorry for him.

#26 ·
I have the entire windshield tinted with 35% on my van that I use for work and I drive both day and night and I don't have a problem seeing what so ever. I actually think it is better because like Rone said it takes the glare off everything including head lights of cars that are traveling the opposite direction from you at night. I personally think that's it's ridiculous that it is illegal for the windshield to be tinted, I feel that it is illegal not because it is a safety issue but because it limits the visibility of a police officer that is trying to look inside the car. Just because it is harder to see into the car with tint on the any windows does not mean it is harder to see out of them. Technically there is no difference if I drive around with sun glasses on or have tinted windows, but a cop wouldn't give me a ticket if I had glasses on right, it's a joke and some of the laws that are created are ridiculous and this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.