Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive put about 2k mile on my new 2002, and I have the same pros and cons, including the gas pedal massager.

The only thing that I have to add is that ABS diognostic "Knock" druing start up movement is sorta-kinda anoying.

But I love my Tundra!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
:)

Sounds like you're having a positive experience so far. That's good. You pointed out some things that I'm going to pay attention to now. I'm finally picking up my new truck tonight from Champion in Austin.

What mods are you planning for yours? I'm starting out slow. Taking it Saturday morning to have Line-X spray the bed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just past the 3,000k barrier and she's a smooth runnin' rig. I also have the pops/creeks around the center dash pod and could care less. Why? because its a truck. Trucks are suppose to creek. Its to remind you that your not in a car, which my mind tells me i'm in time to time. Seriously now, creeks only bother me when it's structure related and the Tundra is a solid body on frame piece of billet steel. I know it's the install clips rubbing against the plastic center pod. Find some time and some felt padding and your squeaks are gone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just passed 1,000 miles and really have no complaints at all (knock, knock). Last tank was 17 mpg, but I leave overdrive on and have a bedcover (it was about 14.5 before that). It was even in 4X4 for awhile to get the 17

I love the truck "feel" and sitting up high (I used to drive sedans) and have been offraoding twice.

Oneslackr, tint your glass, it adds to the look and is cheap (I paid $65). Then the world is your oyster.

SWEET RIDE!

peck'r

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2002 has about 6000 on it now and its been a Positive expirence thus far. I have had the engine rattle in very cold weather but only twice and when I changed to Synthetic oil it never seamed to return. I wish the clock was better located and visor mirrors had lights for them, no creaks or noises except windshield rattle type noise but I had it already replaced due to a semi and a rock (silicone fixed it though) but overall the big three would have to come with a hooker for me to change. Later!

·
Registered
33 Posts
well i'm at about 889 miles right now. I have had a really positive experience as of now. I have a slight rattle on the driver's door every now and then, and a slight creek in the dash, nothing major.

Gas is exactly 16 miles per gallon.

Like others have said, I expect more noise in a truck than in a car (both inside and out), but this truck is VERY quiet. My 2000 PreRunner w/TRD is a hell of a lot noisier, both inside and out. At highway speeds the tire and wind noise can be pretty bad. The Tundra "sounds" like a luxury car in comparison.

I've driven and owned trucks for 17 years, and this is the most refined and smooth running truck i've ever been in.

BTW, brakes are fantastic on this thing...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oneslackr,

Yup, everything is great so far. The big things that I would check (besides the normal fit and finish stuff) is if the truck shakes when you're doing anywhere up to 70+ and if the engine makes the infamous engine 'knock' when cold (which I've never heard personally). All the little stuff can be ignored or fixed, but it's been my experience (with various vehicles) that a shaker from the factory can be tough to get fixed correctly. The Champion guys are generally great, just watch out for the warranty hard-sell if you don't want it.

As far as mods go, Line-X and tint are first, then headers/exhaust, synthetic fluids, Zaino and so on....

v8power,

I don't know if I'd agree that trucks are *supposed* to creak, but I agree it's very minor. I guess I notice it more because the truck is normally sooo quiet.

02Tundra,

The limited visor mirrors have lights. Maybe you can install them.

I spend too much time thinking about my truck...

Sean

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by blktundr,

Oneslackr, tint your glass, it adds to the look and is cheap (I paid $65). Then the world is your oyster.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't worry. That's getting done on Saturday also. I've always tinted all of my vehicles, DARK! :cool: Not always legal but it looks good. Nice to hear you guys are having fairly good experiences w/your trucks. There are a lot of negative comments & complaining on this site. Kind of had me worried about getting a Tundra when I first signed up 10 days ago.

This is my 1st Toyota & 1st truck. Like many members to this site I already have an entire list of mods I want to do; lift kit, new wheels & bigger tires, stereo system, headers/exhaust, other performance mods, maybe the S/C when it's finally available. I'm going from my '97 Vette (C5) that I sold last mth to the Tundra. I hope it will leave me grinning (for different reasons obviously) like the Vette used to. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2002 Blk Access Cab SR5, V8, 4x4 w/TRD pkg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great I was nervous too, but if you look at the problems that are listed on this site, they are pretty minor. My brother owns a'99 dodge Ram and has has power steering problems, electrical problems, etc.

You may want to be carefull about the lift kit, though, I talked to Toyota, and they said once you do it, if you have any drivetrain problems, the warranty guy will be able to say it was because of your mods. What do the rest of you think? I was going to lift 2" right off the bat, but decided to wait until after the warranty period.

Anyone?

peck'r

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just passed 1300 miles in my reg cab. I also dealt with Champion. The truck has been a dream to drive so far. From four wheeling on the beach last weekend, to hauling furniture and stuff. It makes goin back and forth to work a pleasure. Dreamy on the highway, except in high winds. My one complaint is the leg room, i'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. I can get comfortable, but, I just wish there were more. Eh . . . I knew that when I bought the truck though. The worst thing about my Tundra, or "Tonka" as I like to call it, is that someone dented it at work and didn't say anything. No noise from the dash at all. Not sure I'm crazy about the brakes.

I also wouldn't want to lift the truck yet because of warranty concerns. Heck this truck is way way cool just stock. Of course, my Husky liners, and Betterbuilt bed mat help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm over 7000 miles on mine, and it's been absolutely trouble-free -- but that's what I expect from Toyota.

Even with the 4X4 TRD off-road package, the ride seems a bit soft to me -- but I'm comparing it with older pickups I drove years ago.

Been getting about 13.5 MPG, but
--California Gasoline
--That's in town
--It's a V-8 Limited Access Cab (weighs a lot!)
--Flowmaster duals. (I can't keep my foot out of it.)

BTW, I know of no reason to "warm up" the Tundra engine, though prudence dictates avoiding high PRMs until fully warm, more so with a brand new truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just over 1600 miles now and loving it! No major problems here. Gas mileage so far is 16 mpg even. No squeeks, rattles or anything and I live on a dirt road, so that is a good suprise. No cold start knock or anything like that, but I do feel a hum type vibration in the engine when it is cold in the mornings and I dont know what that is but it goes away after a few seconds. I have driven the big 3, and actually lost alot of money on my last one of the big 3 because I hated it so bad. But in my opinion, they dont even compare to the Tundra. I do wish it were a little bigger, but I can live with that to have such a great truck. Anyone else having the cold start hum-vibration? Good luck to everyone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah

I have that slight vibration when starting cold too. It usully idles around @1300 RPMs when this happens.

Its probably due to the timing and the rich conditions during startup and warm up

Laterz

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
:D

Well, so far I'm happy. When I picked up the truck last night at Champion it only had 5 miles on it. Now it has a whopping 41 miles. I was very surprised to learn that Champion Toyota in Austin throws in free oil changes for the life of your vehicle. Wonder if they make up for that by over charging for other services.

I haven't heard any engine knocking, felt any vibrations of any kind, heard any creaking, groaning, or flexing noises of any sort. Even the dash is squeak free & silent. The paint job on my truck looks good. Haven't noticed any flaws with it yet. I hope things continue this way. Then again my '97 Vette had all kinds of rattles & made all kinds of noises that drove me nuts. The Tundra is tomb quiet compared to GM's so called quality construction.

One complaint, though minor, is that the factory CD/Cass combo is definitely pathetic. That will have to go. But that's expected w/factory systems unless you're buying a Lexus or something.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by blktundr,

You may want to be carefull about the lift kit, though, I talked to Toyota, and they said once you do it, if you have any drivetrain problems, the warranty guy will be able to say it was because of your mods.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by fluuid,

I also wouldn't want to lift the truck yet because of warranty concerns.

That's good advice about the lift kit. Though I'll only be putting about 10k miles/yr on it. I doubt I'll be able to wait for 3 yrs until the warranty expires to lift the truck.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Mike,

No, I got a Blk/Oak Access cab SR5, 4x4, V8, w/TRD offroad pkg, ABS, LSD, RS3000, cpt's chairs, All Wheather Guard Pkg etc... Why do you ask?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine must have been built on a Monday. Not a single issue I can find with it. I have had it for 2 months and I just hit 6K miles! I have always loved to drive-look for an excuse to go anywhere. But this truck is incredible. Not any noise of any kind can be heard in the cabin that should not be ther, except for that sweet TRD header/dual exhaust combo! Cannot keep my foot out of the accelerator. As soon as I see the engine temp. gauge at that halfway point, I'm on it........

Folks if you don't have aftermarket headers/exhaust, save your pennies and get them. Most satisfying mod I have. Oh, and you will actually save money. You won't be as tempted to spend 2 grand upgrading that crappy Toyota CD changer system because you never have the stereo on anyway...........can't hear the music of those expelling exhaust gases if you are jamming in the cab.....

I don't care how many people have issues with brakes, windows, and creaks/groans. This is the best built truck this country can produce, and I'm glad to be one of the lucky folks to own one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts