Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in ohio and recently ordered a 4x2, 4.7L Tundra from a dealership. In order for me to order I had to put down a $500 deposit. I signed a document that said the $500 was non-refundable. The truck was already set to be manufactured around April 30 so it really wasn't a special order the dealer just reserved the truck. We'll last week I changed my mind and opted for a 5.7L 4x4 that was on the ground at another dealer close bye. I called the dealer that I ordered from and they said no problem come on in and we'll get that truck. We'll we start to negotiate and they jack me around not giving me as good of a deal. Were at a $200 difference after I increased my bottom line. I guess the sales mangaer got pissed because they were spending alot of time with me and I wouldn't budge from my price. So he comes out and starts pointing his finger in my face saying take the vehicle at our price or your going to take a lose with the deposit. We'll things got heated and I left. I went straight to the dealer that had the vehicle on the lot and got a little better price. So I bought it. Is there anyway I can get this money back? Has anyone dealt with this? After I purchased the truck I told the dealer what had happened and they said I should be able to get my money back. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm no expert but if it's non-refundable, and you decided not to buy the truck you put the deposit on, then I'd say you lost it unless I'm missing something.

However, I'd say you made the right decision as opposed to giving that dealer your business. The minute a salesman gets in someone's face like that and threatens them, they are not to be trusted with one more cent of my money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had put down a deposit at the end of January for a 4x4 crewmax limited with nav. After the initial release of crewmax, my dealer had nothing close to my request, and had no idea when to expect it. I kept pushing dfor information, and didn't get any. I finally found a truck at another dealer, and got it. My originial dealer said that they wouldn't be able to aquire a truck from another dealer at this point.

Anyways, the deposit paperwork I signed said it was nonrefundable if I backed out. I was still able to get a full refund without any trouble. I didn't howwever get ugly with them (although I am very capable of getting ugly:) ), so that may make them less likely to work with you. Bottom line for me was that the dealer was not able to deliver a truck that I wanted. If it showed up and I then backed out, it might have been different.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, you can get the refund back! You did not take delivery of the vehicle and by law can get the refund back. The "refund" is the dealers way of making you feel that you have no way out. But, if you research a little, you will find that they have to give you the refund back....because, you didnt buy anything yet as the vehicle wasnt even on the lot. If they give you any hassle, tell them that you will contact a lawyer and the BBB as you know your rights. Trust me, you will get it back. Good luck

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
The money is yours, they must refund it. You made good on your offer to by a truck but they were not able or willing to sell you the truck that you wanted. They also offered less than positive customer sevice which is reasonable cause for you to back out. Call the manager of the dealership or their director of sales or customer service. Explain patiently and request a refund. If they don't comply then go down there and request it in person while filming every word with a video camera. Tell them you will post the video on the web and use it in court as proof of their poor service. Then if you still don't have it just request it in writing and take them to small claims court if they do not deliver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had that happen with a f250 7-8 years ago. You did not take delivery. I wrote the dealership a certified demand letter stating that if I did not recieve all my money from within 10 days of the reciept of the letter I would sue in small claims. I had my money in 5. There is no way I would let them have my money. If you feel guilty keep in mind they WILL sell this truck to someone else, maybe even for more than they would have sold to you. The only thing the dealership is truly out is time and that is what why they are there. That comes with the territory of sales.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After 2 difficult weeksvery poor communication-which was mostly excuses, I finally had to write my dealer the "nasty letter" a couple days ago. I've been very nice so far-but after politely asking for my $500 several times because our dealer was having no luck locating the Tundra he promised he'd get for me(and not ordering one like we originally discussed) by a certain date, and then not hearing back so much as a word...I sent off an email copy of a long list of emails to my salesman that clearly showed the dealers and my position in perspective...and I simply said that I knew my rights and that I expected my $ returned in full within 10 days or I would contact my lawyer and the BBB, as well as contact the Govenor and Attorney Generals Office in our state...I also had a copy of the same letter sent to our salesman and the business manager by certified mail . Well,guess what-I got an Email the NEXT day by my salesman that I'd recieve my $ back. So take heart all of you who have been in similar situations.
After buying over 10 Toyotas-Every purchase has been a good experience, till this one...so I'm not blaming Toyota. Thanks every one for your help and input to everyone out there who helped me. I hope you are fortunate as well Tkious...DAcat :ts:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts