Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 2010 DC to get 5100s front and rear struts and shocks with a 1nch block and diff drop. Soon found out the strut spring does not fit over the bilstein adjustable mount. So, let me guess, since my truck is not a TRD offroad I will need to buy the bigger TRD springs to fit. Therefore, everyone with 5100s has the bigger off road springs correct?

Another question, on the diff drop, there are three mounts but only two spacers come with the kit? Mechanic said all three mounts need a spacer not just two. Any thoughts?

Update, I found on another forum that the strut mounting plate has changed for 2011. I have a 2010, but it was made 5/10 so I bet I have a 2011 front end. Called Bilstein and they said they don't have 2011 parts out yet and won't until well into next year.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My truck is a '10 non TRD and I have the 5100s, does this mean the '11s have smaller diameter front springs?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My truck is a '10 non TRD and I have the 5100s, does this mean the '11s have smaller diameter front springs?
Exactly

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'm confused. I just called Toyota and they said they would not put a 2011 part on a 2010 vehicle. With that being said, I wonder why they spring did not fit?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Go with OME.....new springs and shocks! Little more money but worth it...IMHO

Is it possible that the 5100's you got are for a different vehicle?

·
Supporter
111 Posts
Bought the 5100's for my 2010 and there was no need to buy new front springs, and mine is a non-TRD.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm done guessing what's wrong. Just ordered ICON Coilovers. Hopefully they will fit!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Ex-Mod
5,944 Posts
Dang!!!!!!! I was about to order the 5100's tomorrow and now I am rethinking.

Dang!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah here's a post off another site talking about 2011 front end changes. Who knows why this would impact 2010 models but they do talk about the bottom plate on the strut mount is different and the mechanic told me that was my issue.

"Just sent one through the shop to have the Bilstein 5100 upgrade. The bottom plate on the strut mount is different. Pro Comp is also having some issues with the new sensors and mounting positions. It's most likely the new trailer sway sensor(s) but we don't have a clear answer yet. The 3x1 leveling kits should work just fine - I installed that instead with no issues...."

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2010 Tundra CM Platinum. I ordered the correct part from Shockwarehouse, but the bottom plate that came with the shocks was too big for the spring to fit around it. I left numerous messages for Bilstein tech support, but no one has replied. I brought my truck to the stealership, so I know it was not from incompetance. I also asked the stealership parts dude how many different springs can be ordered for a 2010 Toyota Tundra, and he told me 16. I dont think Bilstein has done enough product development for this model. If anyone is contemplating replacing their 2007-2011 tundra shocks with the Bilstein 5100's or as a levelling kit, I would think twice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW, the build date on my 2010 is 07/2009, which is no where near 2011.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bad, Chris at Shockwarehouse just let me know that it is a product issue with Bilstein and he is going to get a couple of correct botom spring perches from Bilstein out to me.

Apparently, there has been a few batches that had incorrectly sized perches in the packaging.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bad, Chris at Shockwarehouse just let me know that it is a product issue with Bilstein and he is going to get a couple of correct botom spring perches from Bilstein out to me.

Apparently, there has been a few batches that had incorrectly sized perches in the packaging.

Who is Chris from shockware house? That is where I ordered my shocks.

·
Ex-Mod
5,944 Posts

Interesting....:facepalm:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have a 2007 CM and just put 5100's on. Have the same issue. Coild inside diameter is smaller than the perch is set to accept. My thoughts were I ended up with the 2 1/2" lift from the Bilsteins plus approx an extra 1/2" to 3/4" due to the coil not sitting firmly in the perch.

Any problem with this setup?

Hate to spend the extra money on replacing the bilstein perches and then having to get a new alignment.

Did upgrade to 20's and NTG's in the process.....very nice!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, true to their words, Shockwarehouse had Bilstein drop ship new perches (two days)....Nice!

The mechanic was on vacation, but returned today. Truck was done by noon. The smaller perches were spot on.

It was suggested in another thread: "after a build date of 4/2009, all Tundras came with a smaller spring". I cannot verify that, but I can verify that the 2007-2010 replacement 5100's (F4-BE5-E428-HO) came with a perch with a 113mm diameter. My old perch and the new replacement perch that worked had a diameter of 96mm.

Moral to this story is measure your lower perch before ordering and you wont have to learn the hard way.

Hope this helps someone :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now, one more time I will reiterate that I cannot speak for all Tundras, but mine is a 2010 Crewmax Platinum, 2WD, no TRD, (33,000 miles), smaller springs:

Before the swap, I had 2.25" of rake
I had the 5100's adjusted at maximum pre-load
After the swap, I have -.5" rake

Thats right, I measured in the same location and I now have a negative rake. For anyone on the fence and they have a similar vehicle as me, go for the middle pre-load or be prepared to put a 1" block in the back.

I cannot because I have the TRD sway bar, so I will be getting them adjusted again by the stealership.......I hate being a guinea pig :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a 2007 crewmax trd 4x4 and had the 5100's with diff. drop put on 3 weeks ago no problems here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i got a 2010 tundra with the bilstein 5100s with max ride height and no problems. I did it myself with a couple of my buds. Im guessing its a product defect or misplaced lower purches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts