Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a 11 day, 5K road trip in my one-month old 2010 4x4 5.7 TRD CM. Thought I would post some observations.
I first drove from central Texas to Big Bend National Park, then up to the Tetons and to Yellowstone. Came back down through Canyonlands Nat'l Park and to Moab. Left there traveling across Colorado and NM and back home.
I've made similar trips in my '04 DC 4x4 TRD. I have to say the the '10 was a much more positive experience. Though the shortbed doesn't afford the space in back the '04 had, the larger interior made up for it. There is so much storage space that I realized I should have made list of where all my junk was located.
The 5.7 engine is obviously much more responsive than my 4.7 was. It scaled the steepest and longest ascents without breaking a sweat or even breathing hard. There is no comparison in the nimble handling, as the turning radius on the '10 is light years better than the '04. I drove the White-Rim trail at Canyonlands with no trouble. I'm not sure the '04 could have made some of the swithback turns without requiring 2 or 3 shots to navigate them. ( I wouldn't do that trail again without another vehicle along...Any screw-up and it would cost thousands to retrieve your vehicle IF you could get a wrecker in to get you out.)
Outside of the frequently discussed "BumP" , the transmission is as smooth as glass, though all the shifting takes some getting used to...especially in the mountains. Sometimes it seems to be searching for the right gear.
More thought should have been put into the placement of the instrument guages. Depending on where you adjust the steering wheel, some of the guages are not visible at a glance. Not a big deal, however.
The leg room is considerably better than in the '04, though IIRC the actual measurements are the same. Somehow the power seat gives you more room. I always had to take my left shoe off in the '04 to be comfortable.( I have 36" inseam).
I slept in the cab overnight on a couple of occasions. The driver side is more comfortable as you have more leg room and the seat reclines flatter than the passenger side. They could have sacrificed a couple of inches of width in the console, however, and widened the seats by an inch apiece.
The biggest and most pleasing surprise was the gas mileage. I averaged 19.2 mpg overall, with the best leg at 21.8mpg. I have to stress though that I mostly drove between 65 and 70mph. The 21.8 leg was from driving in Yellowstone and the Tetons where I only drove 40 to 60mph.
On a stretch between Big Bend National Park and Alpine, TX I ran it up to 108MPH. (as recorded on a GPS). That is where the computer shut it off. Though I have no reason to drive that fast other than out of curiosity, it seems disappointing that Toyota would govern such a powerful engine so severely. It was still accelerating hard when it shut off. The 2000 Tundra I 1st owned didn't shut off until about 110. My '99LC reaches 112 before weight and wind drag stops it. It isn't limited by the computer.
I questioned my decision to upgrade from the '04 to the '10 as absolutely nothing was wrong with the '04. But after the 5K trip, I have no regrets whatsoever. The '10 is a vast improvement in comfort, power, and handling.

·
Registered
457 Posts
good info on the trip and the new truck. Mine is just a few days old and the tanks seemed to go pretty quick so I'm glad to see the good mileage figures you recorded.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, in town driving i'm getting 14-15. it will get better as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
On a stretch between Big Bend National Park and Alpine, TX I ran it up to 108MPH. (as recorded on a GPS). That is where the computer shut it off. Though I have no reason to drive that fast other than out of curiosity, it seems disappointing that Toyota would govern such a powerful engine so severely. It was still accelerating hard when it shut off. The 2000 Tundra I 1st owned didn't shut off until about 110. My '99LC reaches 112 before weight and wind drag stops it. It isn't limited by the computer.
For one its the speed rating on the tires. You risk a tire failure pushing the limits of the tires. Second, its not a sports car and doesn't handle like one. Be safe.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Congrats on the new truck - And good writeup, I agree on your observations, especially about comfort & utility.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Good stuff.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Great write up man. I'm glad you had a great trip. I'm on a vacation right now but unfortunately for me, we took the wife's '10 4Runner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts