Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please.

I have a 2010 Tundra 5.7 with tow pkg.
I'm looking at a Cougar fifth wheel 1/2 ton series with a pin weight of 1340 lbs.
Think this will be OK ?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
46 Posts
I lean towards no, you would be far overloaded after you and your load up the family, fuel, food, clothes, beer, grill, wood, ect.

However, for whatever reason, everywhere I camped last season had a Tundra pulling some sort of 5er. Some were huge. One was a 34 ft, 4 or 5 slide, 5er that weighed over 11k dry! He had a husky slider hitch and air bags on the double cab long box sr5. I thought he was a crazy man, but said it felt ok on the road.

It will do it, no doubt about it. Should you? Only you can answer that I guess.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Help please.

I'm looking at a Cougar fifth wheel 1/2 ton series with a pin weight of 1340 lbs.
Think this will be OK ?

Thanks so much
First, stock you are going to be way (weigh :devil:) overloaded. I pull an 8.5'x24.0'x11.5' enclosed bumper hitch trailer now.

My Tundra runs a 3"/1" leveling lift. Empty, the rear end was a little loose so I installed the TRD Sway-bar which fixed that issue. The rear shocks were not very good so I replaced those which helped a lot. Finally, I installed Firestone Air Bags to keep the rear from squatting to an unsafe level as I started hauling heavy.

The air bags on the rear let me keep the car-like ride when empty and beef things up when running heavy. With P-metric tires it rides really nice getting groceries but, load up the rear and you will wish you had the E-rate LT tires. ;) (Sidewall flex when loaded is really bad! :eek:)

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I pull a 29 ft. crossroads Zinger with a pin of around 1240. You need 10 ply tires and airbags. I have over 20,000 tow miles with no problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh S#** sounds like it could be scary !!

Thanks folks
It's certainly interesting when a Greyhound bus or Semi-van passes you doing 15MPH over. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Help please.I have a 2010 Tundra 5.7 with tow pkg.I'm looking at a Cougar fifth wheel 1/2 ton series with a pin weight of 1340 lbs.Think this will be OK ?Thanks so much
I have a Limited, DC 2008 and tow a 2010 Wildcat 29RLBS 5th wheel with dry weight of 8600. It tows great. Plenty of power. BUT the problem I have is that the clearance between the top of the bed rails and the underside of the camper above the truck bed. It is only about 6 inches and I have dimples pressed into both sides of the bed rails now from contact with the camper edges while negotiating uneven ground. ie, entering a gas station with higher driveway. The hitch can be adjusted but that puts your camper front end higher and more weight on the rear tires than on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Most 5er have to be raised at the wheels so you can get box height. The newer they are the higher they set from factory. Do you have an extra set of holes in your frame hangers so you can raise that way.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, here is the thing. The max payload you should have in the bed is 1600 pounds. I researched it when I was kicking around campers. So, that is the max weight you should have. Odds are, you are going to also have crap in your truck, and crap in the trailer. Plus, that 5th wheel assembly probably weighs a few hundred pounds.

Now, the truck can do it, but you need to take some precautions. trailer brake, great tires (H rated), and airbags would all be ideal. Someone mentioned "it's fine, until you kill someone". That is a valid concern. The tolerances are designed to tell you not just what the truck can tow going foward... but what the weights are designed to stop, and corner. If you get into an accident and you are way overloaded... you risk manslaughter. Also, your insurance may not cover you. So, spend the money up front now. Your truck will last longer as a result.

good luck man!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
This post is going the wroung way . If you now the laws please post them. If you are using scare tactics please stop.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
This post is going the wroung way . If you now the laws please post them. If you are using scare tactics please stop.
Hi cwit!

(I'm rarely on these days!)

Anyway, I tow a Cougar 314 EFS I can't remember the exact pin wt, I'd have to look on some very old posts of mine, but with air bags and E-rated tires, thousands of miles, including nasty off-road logging road miles, NO problem. And look up the law: for non-commercial vehicles unless you are grossly overloaded there is no issue with such a set-up.

Refer: Tundra as tow-mobile: 10,000 lbs, 1,200 miles, 10 mpg or something like that. I posted it a few years ago and continue to drive with this setup, it tows better than my previous 3/4 ton Dodge ever did.

Cheers. Maybe I should check in once in a while for a "reality check". :D

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I've been towing mine up and down the east coast , this is my 5th trip. upstate NY to central Fl. Lake Champlain to Maine and all states east of Mississippi.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi there, not to hijack original post but does anyone know what the official pin weight capacity/limit is for the Tundra? I am looking specifically for my Crewmax. We already do tow a 5er but it is light and fairly small. We are looking to upgrade to a unit that is 28.5 model, pin weight @ 1400lbs.
I do have a superglide hitch, airbags, and 10 ply tires.

The unit we are looking at is the 28.5B
Cherokee Travel Trailers, RV Trailers Fifth Wheel Trailers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help please.

Think this will be OK ?

Thanks so much
Its fine unless and until you have a safe ride.. I said "safe" very SAFE

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This is straight from Toyota for the 2012 model year Tundra, but nothing has changed much from the 2007 through the 2014 model years as far as towing and payload. The chart gives payload and towing capacities of all of the different Tundra configurations. Don't forget that payload includes the weight of passengers and anything else in the truck or bed, plus the tongue weight of the trailer you are towing. Hope this helps you decide what you are comfortable towing.

http://www.settraining.com/content/...a_MY12_Payload_and_Towing_Capacity_Chart1.pdf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts