Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2010 4.6L Tundra calls out 0W20 oil, but the owner's manual says you can use 5W20 if 0W20 is not available and need to go back to 0W20 at next oil change.
I was wondering if anybody was using 5W-20 oil in these engines on regular basis, either synthetic or convensional oil and how it has been performing for you? Any difference?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dude, I've been turning wrenches for a living for over 20 years. What on earth makes you think that the 4.6 and the 5.7 have different lubrication requirements? The 4.6 is essentially a small 5.7.
Please enlighten me with your inerrant wisdom.

YouTube - 2010 Toyota 4.6 V-8 Interview Part 2!
Dude, the original poster asked about the 4.6L not the 5.7L.

I run 5/30W in my Taco but that does not answer his question.

Dude that is "inherrant" wisdom.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Dude, the original poster asked about the 4.6L not the 5.7L.

I run 5/30W in my Taco but that does not answer his question.

Dude that is inherent wisdom.
Umm, dude, your Taco mini-truck has an entirely different powerplant. The 4.6 and 5.7 engines share the same design. Your lack of wisdom may be inherent, but you still err. Maybe you should stay over in the Taco forum.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I run vegetable oil in mine - I tried peanut oil but it smoked real bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys read the Owners manual. It (REQUIRES) 0w-20.Only use 5W20 as a replacement if you can not find 0w20 and only run it for one oil change.If you run 5w20 it could void your warranty on engine if something comes up in the future. If it says 0w20 and 5w20 on cap you can run both. If only 0w20 only run 0w20. I Work at a dealer and its been discussed here many times. Also 0w20 is a synthetic and 5w20 is not.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I can already see this thread taking a nosedive :argue:

Bottom line here - it's the hot viscosity of a multi-weight oil that matters. Theoretically there's no viscosity difference between 0w20 and 5w20 and practically it's too minute of a difference to even consider worth mentioning. The manual states the 0w20 requirement in order to get the vehicle in closer adherence to federal CAFE emissions and mpg standards.

There is NO difference in the bearing clearances or other key engine components which would make a 4.6 require a lighter weight lubricant than a 5.7 - running a 5w20 or even a 5w30 oil (especially synthetic) will not ruin your engine or void your warranty, otherwise Toyota would state that in the manual.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Its not a nosedive, its a train wreck. :cool: Just a matter of time before the boys REALLY start yelling at each other. :eek:

Thumbster, save us all from the oncoming tsunami and close this puppy down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts