Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,I`m a new member and this is my first post.I just traded my04DC for an awsome 07 DC Limited.It says I should use either 0w20 or5w20 motor oil.My 01 Camry and my 04 DC 4.7 says to use 5w30.Even the 07 model 4.7 says to use 5w30.It`s just the 5.7 that`s calling for different oil.I have been doing some investigating and it seems the only reason Auto companies do this is for CAFE ( corporate avg.fuel economy) They say you will hardly notice the difference of gain in mileage. 20w oil just seems very thin to me. I would feel better running 5w30, what does everyone out there think?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
crawfjh...That was my concern also, living in Arizona where the temps in July and August are normally between 105-112 degress, plus I pull a 3000lbs boat or a 5000lbs travel trailer. I spoke with a rep from Toyota this past weekend, plus a Toyota mechanic who just returned from a class on the 5.7, and they both said use only the oil recommended in the Owners Manual. I also sent an E-mail to Toyota asking the same question...here is their answer:

Subject
5.7L V8 Oil Viscosity

Discussion Thread
Response (Jonathan) 04/16/2007 01:44 PM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Toyota is currently recommending for the 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 Liter engine, 5W-20 or 0W-20. With preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, the recommended natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service under the conditions you have inquired about.

We do not recommend deviating from the recommended oil viscosity for this vehicle.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200704161293. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Jonathan Paez Toyota Customer Experience

Customer 04/13/2007 11:06 AM
I am researching the Toyota Tundra, 5.7L, SR-5. From the information I have gathered from the Toyota.com website, it seems the Owners Manual recommends either a Ow-20w or 5w-20w oil for that engine. The viscosity seems very low. I live in Arizona where the summer temps often reach 115-120 degrees. Is the 5w-20w oil still recommended for those temps, even when pulling a 5000lbs trailer?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LeeinAZ.....Thanks for the info,Ive emailed Toyota but have not rec`d a reply.I guess I will run the 5w20. I was able to find Mobil 1 5w20 in the 5 quart jug today at Wal-mart. That will help on the cost.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can we use a synthetic blend 5w20? When is the right mileage to swap to full synthetic?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My other question to them was why they went from a simple spin-on filter to a paper cartridge type...I got a couple of different answers. One was that the paper element was more Earth friendly and didn't pollute as bad as the spin-ons...thought that was interesting! I think I will just go with a non synthetic oil...they said that's what's in it from the factory.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I understand you can run full synthetic when an engine is new...Lots of high end cars have a factory fill of Mobil 1. I have used Mobil 1 for years in everything, so far not one problem. From all the test I`ve read it`s worth the money to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can we use a synthetic blend 5w20? When is the right mileage to swap to full synthetic?
Full synthetic can be used in any vehicle. I always wait till the first oil change to change over - no sense in dumping perfectly good oil.

·
Registered
202 Posts
From what I understand you can run full synthetic when an engine is new...Lots of high end cars have a factory fill of Mobil 1. I have used Mobil 1 for years in everything, so far not one problem. From all the test I`ve read it`s worth the money to me.
Amsoil is better but not readily available. I order it by the case and it's about the same price as Mobil 1.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Relax, the thinner oils are for real. Look for an oil that meets the Ford spec (yeah, I know) 930. This oil is tested at 302F which is far hotter than your engine should ever see. It only allows 35gms high heat deposits over the life of the oil. The oil is not allowed to shear or oxidize outside of its viscosity range. I use it. My engine sometimes idles all day long in 115F+ heat with the A/C running and wear metals are single digit over a 5000 mile OCI. You don't need synthetics, (most of which are a Gp III dino oil anyway), you don't need a thicker viscosity oil, you don't need any snake oil additives, just use the recommended oil and know that Toyota stands behind that oil. FWIW, read the email again, Toyota engines come from the factory with dino oil, not synthetic.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but...and here was the thing for me...I asked a Toyota tech and he told me this oil spec has a lot to do with the kind of internal lubrication system that is designed into the 5.7. He said the pickup pumps and oil cycling systems do not run well on heavier oil. The system is designed to spray oil over the moving parts on a continuous basis and this calls for a lighter oil. If you use heavy oil, the pumps may not be able to deliver it to the places inside the engine that it needs to go.

I'm doing what the manual says.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The Toy tech I talked to said exactly the same thing! Gee, they must have paid attention in class...which is a good thing. Just another quick question...what's the difference between using the 0-20W versus using the 5-20w??

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but...and here was the thing for me...I asked a Toyota tech and he told me this oil spec has a lot to do with the kind of internal lubrication system that is designed into the 5.7. He said the pickup pumps and oil cycling systems do not run well on heavier oil. The system is designed to spray oil over the moving parts on a continuous basis and this calls for a lighter oil. If you use heavy oil, the pumps may not be able to deliver it to the places inside the engine that it needs to go.

I'm doing what the manual says.
Ford sell's a Synthetic blend 5w20 oil that is reasonably priced. I believe Walmart also sells Ford oil, besides dealers?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mobil One is just about the best full syn oil you can get. I've had outstanding results from using it for many years. Amsoil purchases their base stock from Mobil One!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My understanding is that the 07 Tundra already comes with full synthetic 0w-20 Toyota oil. theres a thread about it.

0w-20 works just fine, 5w-20 down to -20 degrees, 5w-30 works good just it will hurt the gas mileage but will probably run quieter.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Toy tech I talked to said exactly the same thing! Gee, they must have paid attention in class...which is a good thing. Just another quick question...what's the difference between using the 0-20W versus using the 5-20w??
0w oil will be thinner when it`s cold but the same when warm.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My understanding is that the 07 Tundra already comes with full synthetic 0w-20 Toyota oil. theres a thread about it.

5w-20 Mobil One Full Synthetic :tu:

Didn't know this..thanks:tu:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Mobil One is just about the best full syn oil you can get. I've had outstanding results from using it for many years. Amsoil purchases their base stock from Mobil One!
Mobil One also makes Toyota branded oil, per the service dept at my local dealership.

So, from the factory is it Dino or Syn? I thought that other thread had a guy that worked in one of the 2 Toyota
Tunda plants, he checked with his coworkers and it was Syn from the Factory.

Now I am good and confused, I really want to know. Can I just taste it or something?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I thought someone posted the reply letter fromToyota that stated the trucks were shipped with a non-syn 0w20, and that or 5w20 were acceptable.

·
Registered
352 Posts
From the first post......

I also sent an E-mail to Toyota asking the same question...here is their answer:

Subject
5.7L V8 Oil Viscosity

Discussion Thread
Response (Jonathan) 04/16/2007 01:44 PM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Toyota is currently recommending for the 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 Liter engine, 5W-20 or 0W-20. With preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, the recommended natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service under the conditions you have inquired about.

We do not recommend deviating from the recommended oil viscosity for this vehicle.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200704161293. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Jonathan Paez Toyota Customer Experience

Customer 04/13/2007 11:06 AM

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I was concerned about a 5w20 oil in hot climate I would simply insert some M1 and you will not have to worry about that. A good full synthetic will hold up better in the heat and flow better in the cold than any conventional thats why most Turbo engines spec. Syn. BTW Toyota engines really seem like Mobile 1 I have always had great results with it.:)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts