Toyota Tundra Forums banner

5w30 or 10w30

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RFM80 
#1 ·
I have an 06 tundra dc sr5 with 13,000 miles and live in so cal. don't do much hauling and the weather is always sunny. what type of oil should i be going with?

i think the higher the #'s (i.e. 10w40) is for older cars with leaks, am i right?...

Thanks!!

#2 ·
5w30 is what I run, along with most others on here. it is what is recomended by Toyota for normal driving. I would stick with 5w30 if I were you.

#3 ·
Go with the 5W30. I have an '02 with a little over 98,000 miles on it and
that's what I use with no problems.

John

#4 ·
You both live where it snows...does that have anything to do with the fact that you run 5w30?

Thanks for the feedback.

#5 ·
I run it because that's what Toyota recommends. There are stretches here
where it gets pretty damn hot during the summer and I still run it. You
should check out the website www.bobistheoilguy.com

The site really goes into detail about engine oil and differentiates myths and
facts. If you're really bored do a search of "Engine Oil Filter Study". A lot
of information on oil filters and oil filter ratings from someone who obviously
had a lot of time on their hands.

John

#7 ·
I live in Guam, it's between 85-93 degrees here year round. I run synthetic 5W-30 in my truck. It's what Toyota calls for. Just tipped over 60K miles on my '03 I've owned since new and have always used synthetic and always Toyota oil filters.

#8 ·
Living in LA, you'll probably not notice any difference in using 5w-30 or 10w-30. The "w" weight is for "Winter" weight, and LA doesn't really have one of those. lol

If you saw temps under 0'C, then you may want to read into the Winter weight #'s a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.