Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten about 10 different answers to this question...here and in catalogs and stores. Which is it? I've seen that some speakers are designed to be used in either size.....which is it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I encountered the same situation when I was shopping for speakers. After I took off the door panel, I found that the factory has a 6.75" in them. However, 6.5" will also fit, but 6.75" might fit a little better. There are more selections for 6.5" vs 6.75". The issue I think that might be more of a concern is the depth of the speaker. Make sure the depth will fit, otherwise you might consider window rail modification to accommodate speakers with larger mangets.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ok, there are virtually no decent 6 3/4" speakers that I've seen, so 6 1/2" is the way to go. The problem with those is the screws don't fit the stock holes, thus you've got a little drilling to do. BUT, mounting depth is very very importent to watch. My speakers have a huge magnet, and it was hard to fit. I had to do both upper and lower window mods (2 places you can add spacers) and make a custom baffle.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
6.5" speakers fit in the 6.75" opening, but watch the depth as said before.

You have about 2 3/8" available mounting depth before the window track mod.

As a note, I installed Pyle PLG 6k components which are 6.5" and they had two sets of screw holes, one of which lined up perfectly with the OEM 6.75" holes.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I had 6½" Alpine SPR-175A which fit the stock holes, but required too much mounting depth w/o the window track mod. Switched them out for the 6½" Diamond Audio M561 which also fit with no adapter plate or drilling required. Their shallower mounting depth allowed for installation w/o the window track mod. I love the way they sound BTW. The HEX series is better but too much dinero for me.
Link

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just a note, the difference between a 6.5 and a 6.75 is about 1/8" difference in the mounting hole. I've seen 6.5's too big for 6-3/4" holes. Not a whole lot of consistency in MFR's hole patterns.
I know that just about any 6.5 will fit in a 6.75 application. You may just have to sandwich it with large headed bolts or washers.

The mounting depth also depends on speaker magnet diameter. The window track is not parallel with the speaker mount, so the EDGE of the magnet hits the track. So the smaller the magnet diameter, the deeper you can go.
My Quarts were 2-5/8 " deep and fit without the mod, but their magnet diameter was very very small.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It would be nice to see a list off all the speakers known to fit the Tundras without mods.

I've been researching my stereo options for 6 months and still haven't figured out what I want that will fit.

This system is currently penciled in my plans:

Pioneer NAV-SYS900DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System
Kicker K6.2 6-1/2" Component System
Kicker Resolution R6C 6.5" Midrange Speaker
Rockford Fosgate 500X

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.