Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
recently trades my 05 5 speed prerunner for a 06 6speed trd 4x4 . love the trucks and the new one especially .... same knocks ticks and wind noises I'm reading about but so what .....anyway.

My gas milage sucks and I want to change the 6th gear of the transmition to reduce rpms . Does anyone know if a bigger gear will fit in the case or who makes them or anything related .

thanks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
With alot of money you could change the 6th gear ratio. Haven't heard of anyone doing it.

If your in NYsitty w/ stop an go, the 6spds low gears aren't gonna return same mpg as auto. Also, how fast you driving? 6th in manual isnt as tall as 5th in the auto. So at 75-80 the auto will pull a couple mpgs better. That said, 6th is great for us in upstate NY, I see over 20 mpg on 'country' highways (55-65mph).

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the 6 speed on mine and am wondering the same thing because 5th and 6th are pretty close. But I would probably never actually do it. what type of mpg's are you getting. My worst tank (not while towing) is like 16.5 mpg's I usually average 17.5, 18 with a lot of highway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I average the exact same with my 07 dc 4x4 6 spd manual, 16 - 18 mpg, it sucks!! I wish I had gotten the auto!
Estimated MPG's are listed right on the sticker. IN US and Canada mpg tests the manual got a tick less than the auto. Although I gander I get the same mpg as the auto in my terrain.

·
Registered
142 Posts
estimated mpg on sticker is 20 city 26 highway, ok 18 mpg highway is no where near 26 as the sticker states. just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
459 Posts
estimated mpg on sticker is 20 city 26 highway, ok 18 mpg highway is no where near 26 as the sticker states. just my 2 cents...

I'm guessing your talking 18 Canadian Imperial Gallons, so 15 mpg in US gallons... Maybe if temps are -30, but not in spring, that is bad. In stop and go? If yours is a new 07 than might need to break in still. Otherwise, ease up on your rpms when shifting, try to keep the rpms around 1900-2000, little higher on uphills and lower on descents.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In these days of high gas prices, you need to squeeze out what you can. Keep the rev's down like "demon" said for a bit...then check your MPG's. Watch the tire pressure as well.

I drive like a maniac, so I gave up...but the best of luck to you all!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With alot of money you could change the 6th gear ratio. Haven't heard of anyone doing it.

If your in NYsitty w/ stop an go, the 6spds low gears aren't gonna return same mpg as auto. Also, how fast you driving? 6th in manual isnt as tall as 5th in the auto. So at 75-80 the auto will pull a couple mpgs better. That said, 6th is great for us in upstate NY, I see over 20 mpg on 'country' highways (55-65mph).
I'm getting 15 on the highway on a bak country road at 55 I do get closer to 19- 20 pg. just got back in town.... sorry for long delay getting back to people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I average the exact same with my 07 dc 4x4 6 spd manual, 16 - 18 mpg, it sucks!! I wish I had gotten the auto!
I put about 20k on my 05 5 speed auto .... and it's an great tranny .... real great .... and better than the 6 speed to be sure . But I havn't had a manual in a while , feel like it's more of a real truck with it , and am hoping I can get the info I need to swap the 6th gear out .... or even just bigger rims if that would help.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If I were you Id check out some of the custom tranny companies that are readily found in magazines, or do a search on the web. Having a shop machine out some custom gears should be cheaper then taking a hit on what you've paid off on the truck, if you trade it for a auto. If they made one, I suspect some others might consider swapping out their gears as well.

Ive been getting around 17mpg with driving to work and back, and some goofing around. Its mostly highway, with a mile or two getting to the highway, a couple of stops and 35-50mph zones.

Strictly highway at 70 I've averaged around 19. RPM's sit at 2500 at that speed. In town only and back roads (VT roads can be steep and windy) I average I guess around 15-17.

If you are getting that bad of mileage on the highway, and not going 90+, Id suspect something is going on. Either you arent shifting properly or air filter is clogged or the engine needs to be checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've played with tire presure , taken the back gate off , and got damn near the same mileage in my 05 auto .... I don't over 90 much ..... I never ride on the tack over 3k . I love the idea of getting gears made . I'll wait a little bit until I do. thanks .

·
Registered
66 Posts
i get about 19 mpg...
i just towed my 6x12 enclosed trail 150 miles this weekend and i still got 300 miles out of a full tank...with trail full of quads and gear...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts