Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
recently trades my 05 5 speed prerunner for a 06 6speed trd 4x4 . love the trucks and the new one especially .... same knocks ticks and wind noises I'm reading about but so what .....anyway.

My gas milage sucks and I want to change the 6th gear of the transmition to reduce rpms . Does anyone know if a bigger gear will fit in the case or who makes them or anything related .

thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With alot of money you could change the 6th gear ratio. Haven't heard of anyone doing it.

If your in NYsitty w/ stop an go, the 6spds low gears aren't gonna return same mpg as auto. Also, how fast you driving? 6th in manual isnt as tall as 5th in the auto. So at 75-80 the auto will pull a couple mpgs better. That said, 6th is great for us in upstate NY, I see over 20 mpg on 'country' highways (55-65mph).
I'm getting 15 on the highway on a bak country road at 55 I do get closer to 19- 20 pg. just got back in town.... sorry for long delay getting back to people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I average the exact same with my 07 dc 4x4 6 spd manual, 16 - 18 mpg, it sucks!! I wish I had gotten the auto!
I put about 20k on my 05 5 speed auto .... and it's an great tranny .... real great .... and better than the 6 speed to be sure . But I havn't had a manual in a while , feel like it's more of a real truck with it , and am hoping I can get the info I need to swap the 6th gear out .... or even just bigger rims if that would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've played with tire presure , taken the back gate off , and got damn near the same mileage in my 05 auto .... I don't over 90 much ..... I never ride on the tack over 3k . I love the idea of getting gears made . I'll wait a little bit until I do. thanks .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.