Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the 6 X 9 front speaker adapters for a 2007 and later, which can be purchased on ebay? Seems like with the 1" spacer built into it, it would not allow the door panel to go back on.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I haven't used them, but its cheaper and better if you make some yourself out of mdf board. Thats what I did.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
no, not yet at least. At first I was going to coat it in resin but people told me that it would defeat the purpose of using mdf board in the first place and it makes sense.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Ok, I'll bite, why would resin ruin the mdf? and why is mdf the best choice. I know it is dense and consistent but so are other things

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I'm late. You are saying that we can make a spacer(adaptor) and fit a 6x9 in the doors? Like mentioned above and get the door cover back on???????????

·
Registered
210 Posts
I destroyed my old speakers and used them as adapters in the front to mount Rockford Fosgate co ax 6x9 speakers and it fit. However I had to use a razor knife to trim the "petition" inside the door panel because it hit the speaker. Those who have been in the doors know what I am talking about. its the molded circular lip around the old speaker and is 1/32" thick and 1/8' tall. it trimmed easily and neatly, panel went right back on and new setup has great sound. the old speakers are'nt bad but far from good under high unit output(in my opinion).
also - not just any 6x9 will fit either, rockford and memphis do and I believe alpine.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Making your own is the way to go. Its super easy and super cheap. I used 3/4" MDF as a base plate and 1/2" as my mounting ring. Fits in the door perfect after a little trimming of that lip that was discussed earlier. So far I'm not having any problems with water. They are nice and dry after a year.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Ok, I'll bite, why would resin ruin the mdf? and why is mdf the best choice. I know it is dense and consistent but so are other things
Yeah it is, but its what has always been recommended for sub enclosures, and adaptors so after doing my research its what I chose in the end. Then coating it with resin makes it brittle.

I'm late. You are saying that we can make a spacer(adaptor) and fit a 6x9 in the doors? Like mentioned above and get the door cover back on???????????
I was able to do it no problem, and I've seen alot of other people successfully do it, every once in a while depending on the speaker they've had to do some trimming on the back of the speaker grille though.

Making your own is the way to go. Its super easy and super cheap. I used 3/4" MDF as a base plate and 1/2" as my mounting ring. Fits in the door perfect after a little trimming of that lip that was discussed earlier. So far I'm not having any problems with water. They are nice and dry after a year.
Yeah I got a big board for like $10 and didn't even use half of it, I have the rest in my garage. Also I didn't add the 1/2" mounting ring, I saw alot of people with it, is it necessary? Also, I've been meaning to paint mine black since the wood kinda sticks out, did you use a special spray paint?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I added the 1/2" adapter so I could make it an off axis mount so the mids point towards the listeners ears instead of their shins. I built a special jig to shave down one side of the 1/2" piece. Its just painted with flat black spray paint, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb. I never test fit the depth without the 1/2" piece, but there may be issues with larger magnets not clearing the window track without it.

Heres a better pic of the angle mount.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
That makes sense, but I'm too lazy to add that to mine. But with being off all day tomorrow I'm gonna take em out and paint em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts