Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 63" chevy springs swapped to replace the stock tundra springs. This swap is a sought after upgrade with a lot of the taco guys that take their rigs offroad. These springs provide more flex over stock and are a cheap alternative to buying a complete leaf pack from Deaver or Alcan. Cost for everything parts and labor came out to be about $250. I did have to re-use my blocks and with the used springs, an AAL was included. I added it just in case. After everything settled, it matched the height of the front end. Another plus, I don't have to wait for the springs to settle, they're already broken in.

On the road, I noticed the ride in the rear was a bit softer going over bumps/pot holes, etc. Next test is to check the payload difference (supposedly, you can add a bit more weight in the back with these springs, but, that's compared to a taco). Don't know the payload rate for 1988-1998 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC truck compared to the tundras. Another test will be to flex the rear out.

Cutting/grinding/welding are required for this project. Here's a technical article to read a bit more about the swap: 63" Chevy 1/2-ton spring swap FAQ!! - Page 20 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board. Measurements of where to mount the hangers are definitely different than the tundras.

Thanks AJ at bentup.com for labor and Dan at Rufftuffspecialties.com for the parts (leaf spring mounts). :tu:

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Nice, if that doesn't work, then get a set of Alcan's with the Orbit eyes, I want to see a set of those on a fully flexed Tundra.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How are they working out Mike? I am going to need new springs soon, and aftermarket is too much for my taste. Sending a PM your way just in case you arent subscribed to this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are actually working great on loads and off roading. I've noticed the rear end does not sag as much as the stock springs did when I have a load in the bed. While still allowing flex and articulation off roading.

If I could, I would get some 2" chevy lift springs for the rear to replace the stock chevys. Right now I'm still using a 1.25" block. Until I find a set at a low price, I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
can you post some pic of you mounting points on the frame

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
cool i was looking for those for a wile and could not find them. here is one there quick question as far as load capacity gose are they comparable to the stock spring. o and thank again for the pics

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool i was looking for those for a wile and could not find them. here is one there quick question as far as load capacity gose are they comparable to the stock spring. o and thank again for the pics
load capacity is a lot better. I was able to load a lot more stuff in the bed compared to the stock springs. On a camping trip I had the bed loaded with camping gear, stock springs brought the bed low. With the 63 chevies, I had the same amount of gear, added a generator and other stuff and the rear end did not sag as much as the stock springs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have Deavers on my truck now and they just aren't for me. I went to the junk yard last weekend and picked up a set of 63's for $50. And that included the $20 I was charged to have them cut off as the bolts were just too rusted and we would have been there all day. AT $15 per side, I should stock up!

I still need to get spring mounts, front and rear, but it will be nice to have springs that can actually take a load once again. There is a local guy who is charging me $150 for the job, so after parts this may cost me around $250-300 total. Still less than have the price of Alcan's....so I'm good with that! I'll make sure to post pictures once I get everything set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts