Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the local Toyota dealership morning to schedule the 30,000 service for my 07 DC and they quoted me $640 :eek:. Needless to say, my jaw about hit the floor. The tech started going through the list of maintenance items while i'm looking at my service guide. A big part of the cost is because they recommend flushing/changing basically every fluid, including front/rear diff, tranny, coolant, etc. What i don't understand [and i told the tech this] is my service guide doesn't suggest any fluid change other than oil. In fact, it specifically states the coolant change is not required until 100k miles.

What do you guys think about this? I can/have done most of this stuff myself but i've been getting lazy these last few years and rather pay someone else to do it. What i do mind is paying for stuff that's not necessary. I personnally think this is a big rip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was at the dealership a couple weeks ago and i was told that i shouldn't have to pay more than $150 for my 30K, 60k etc. I was also told that the coolant on the newer vehicles didn't have to be changed until 100k, as stated in the service manual. You would think that with all the negative press being put on Toyota they would go out of their way to please their current customer base. Toyota owners seem to be loyal and stand by their products, but hearing about someone sounding like they're trying to scam quadruple the normal price is pretty disappointing! GET IT TOGETHER TOYOTA!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just went through this a couple months back... called my dealership to see what needed to be done and the list starts. more than half the stuff they said needed to be done, did not.

They said the service manual is a "guideline" but you should be more careful on the "eastern coast" as its a harsher environment.

All i heard when they were talking was...blah blah blah i'm ripping you off!!!!

So i went with the usual oil/filter change and the only thing i did other than usual was air filter and cabin filter change which takes maybe 2 minutes to do.

I will do my diff fluids at 45k as recommended by some people on this forum.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
all those "30k" services etc are rip offs. the tranny is a sealed one....the coolant doesnt need attention till 100k or longer, etc. just get the oil changed and forget it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree DC. Maybe change your rear diff fluid if you tow a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a shame that they are doing that. Get the oil changed and that's it.

So glad I do my own maintenance.

I go to them for recalls and new vehicles, when needed. Though, I don't rate my dealership very high, others have better support.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Go by your owner's manual. The dealership is just trying to make some money off you. At 30K I will be replacing my oil, front diff, rear diff, and transfer case's fluid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, pretty much what i expected. I don't do any towing - just normal driving, so i can't see changing diff fluids at this point. Think i will just wait until 50k and do all the fluids myself. I spoke with the tech about the differences in what they recommend vs what's in the owner's service guide. He said they have regional techs that update what's recommended based on what they are finding bla..bla..bla. To me that just means they are finding new ways to milk their customers.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Go by the book with your service, and think about using a different dealer, not a good way to keep customers happy.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Having been a service adviser I can tell you they are a big rip. The techs loved them b/c the price was so high, they got paid 3.5 hours for a job they could get done in 1.5 hours, in addition they figured someone willing to spend so much would be willing to spend more so they always added on recommendations for cabin filters, etc. Most of the 30,60,90k services is just checking.

After having spoken to many techs and based on how they take care of their cars this is what I came up with for my Sequoia (4x4, no towing)

5k Oil Change
5k Rotate and Balance (or just rotate if you want to wait until 10k to balance)
10k Alignment (or just wait until 12k-15k if you like)
30k Air Filter (I use K&N, traditional maybe 12k-15k)
30k Cabin Filter
45k Automatic Transmission Fluid
45k Front Differential Oil
45k Rear Differential Oil
45k Transfer Case Oil
45k Power Steering Fluid
45k Engine Coolant
45k Brake Fluid
90k Tune Up
90k Thermostat (you can wait until it acts up)
90k Water Pump (you can wait until it acts up)

If I were doing some serious towing I would change all the 45k fluids listed at 30k, other than that all my recommendations stay the same. The owners manual states you don't have to change coolant until 100k but then every 50k afterwards. For me, the piece of mind doing my fluids at a more regular interval is worth the additional cost.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts