Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are already tons of posts regarding this matter. I have been through many of them and Im probably even more confused. I have a 2007 Tundra Double Cab SR5. Not sure if it has the tow package or not. When I bought it, the factory bumpers were replaced with sport bumpers, and the hitch was removed. Until now that was fine. I recently purchased a travel trailer that has a 7 pin plug. The 4 pin flat plug is still in place under the rear bumper from when the original hitch was removed. I have already mounted the brake controller and there was an adapter under the dash. Am I going to have to run a wire from somewhere for the trailer brakes and another for the RV Battery? Are they already ran and just taped up somewhere? You would think that since there was an adapter already in place under the dash for the controller that there would be more wires running somewhere? Please help

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the harness is prewired if it has the tow pkg. Since mine does, I don't know if it is deleted in the regular truck setup. I would take it to a local hitch place to have them trace out the wires you need and possibly install the 7pin.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I will have to agree if the truck had the tow package before it shoudl be all wired. You may have to buy a 7pin adapter and cable but it plug and play in the back by the 4 pin connector. If memory serves me right if you follow the 4 pin connector cable back some you see a tapped up or maybe just a empty plug were the 7 pin harness would normally go since it unplugged or removed when the sports bumper put on.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Here's a couple of PDF file that might help you sort this out. If you have a Tow/Hual button on the dash then it has the towing package. If not then your truck doesn't have it.
trailer-towing.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
The definitive answer is to crawl under the truck where the 4 pin is located. Follow it about a foot to the plug mounted under the bed by the tire. there are 2 connectors. the for pin is going to one . If there are a bunch of wire on the other, you will need the 7 pin harness. If not, you will need the wiring kit which is about $300. There is a lot to the kit. I know, I bought one

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know there are already tons of posts regarding this matter. I have been through many of them and Im probably even more confused. I have a 2007 Tundra Double Cab SR5. Not sure if it has the tow package or not. When I bought it, the factory bumpers were replaced with sport bumpers, and the hitch was removed. Until now that was fine. I recently purchased a travel trailer that has a 7 pin plug. The 4 pin flat plug is still in place under the rear bumper from when the original hitch was removed. I have already mounted the brake controller and there was an adapter under the dash. Am I going to have to run a wire from somewhere for the trailer brakes and another for the RV Battery? Are they already ran and just taped up somewhere? You would think that since there was an adapter already in place under the dash for the controller that there would be more wires running somewhere? Please help
If you take your truck to an RV dealership that sells trailers, they can install the 7-pin and all the wiring it needs. I only had the 4-pin that controlled turn signals and brake lights. I bought a travel trailer and the dealership installed the brake controller, 7-pin plug, and all the wiring for $200. The 7-pin will allow your truck to control the trailer brakes and will also send a trickle charge to your trailer batteries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts